Anyone do the Big 3 on here? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > DURATEC Performance (2003-2007)

DURATEC Performance (2003-2007) The place to chat about any Duratec 23, 23E, and 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-20-2008, 01:27 PM   #1
NemesisEnforcer
Force-Powered Focus

Fan#: 48598
What I Drive: LIQUID GRAY 2005 ST

FF Reputation: 352 NemesisEnforcer Outstanding Standing MemberNemesisEnforcer Outstanding Standing MemberNemesisEnforcer Outstanding Standing MemberNemesisEnforcer Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Anyone do the Big 3 on here?

Since Brad got me started, I have been searching everywhere on here, but I cannot find a DT-er who has done this. I have seen write-up for the Zetec, but I want to know if it was worthwhile, and where you put the ground wires, how long they were, etc.

Where do you ground to? Engine to chassis, or battery? I just need to know where to put the wires, really.

Brad also mentioned grounding the TB, but his is wire, not like mine. Is it worth it?

GIVE DUE REP!! ST Crew #78 /Duratec Crew #91
Go Pats!! Go Green!! Go Sox!! Go B's!
Seeker of Wisdom, LG Crew #1
Resident Sith Lord & Jedi Master, MMA
Thx to those in the military.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2008, 01:37 PM   #2
Ripped_06_ST
Retired Focus Addict

Fan#: 18779
What I Drive: 2013 5.0

FF Reputation: 49 Ripped_06_ST Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (15)
WTH is a big 3?
ST Crew #16
Think adoption before buying, give a needy animal a loving and caring home!
Old 06-20-2008, 01:44 PM   #3
NemesisEnforcer
Force-Powered Focus

FF Reputation: 352 NemesisEnforcer Outstanding Standing MemberNemesisEnforcer Outstanding Standing MemberNemesisEnforcer Outstanding Standing MemberNemesisEnforcer Outstanding Standing Member
Oh. Figured it was a pretty common term, as I see it everywhere on here, and other forums...it is the process of upgrading the ground wires and the positive cable for the alternator, in 3 spots.

I am interested also in grounding in general, if anyone has done it on the 2.3, where they grounded, if they rec. it, and so on.
Old 06-20-2008, 01:51 PM   #4
besthaticouldo
i wear no pants

Fan#: 26970
What I Drive: '11 OBP WRX Sedan

FF Reputation: 104 besthaticouldo Excellent Standing Memberbesthaticouldo Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (23)
yes...i have seen it done. its a worthy mod. it helps with battery and alternator life.

also there are DYNO proven gains on some cars. i remember seeing an SVT dyno the same day about 40 minutes apart and gain 4whp and 5wtq...so it is a worthy mod.

especially if you have a system...do it
remember that building a car shouldn’t come from parts it should come from deep inside your soul. let the car speak for all the emotions, memories and experiences youve made and the car will take a life of its own. truth over fame.
Old 06-20-2008, 02:13 PM   #5
Mr.Bergner
coffee, have some

Fan#: 32799
What I Drive: 2004 TW Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 53 Mr.Bergner Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
I'm doing it this weekend. Seems simple enough and will only cost about 30 bucks total to do! As far as for the duratec, I'm sorry, I don't have any info for you. But my opinion is to do it, yes.
Hatch Nation #29_____________________________________________________________________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
Old 06-20-2008, 02:14 PM   #6
besthaticouldo
i wear no pants

FF Reputation: 104 besthaticouldo Excellent Standing Memberbesthaticouldo Excellent Standing Member
ya i am gonna do it soon as well.
remember that building a car shouldn’t come from parts it should come from deep inside your soul. let the car speak for all the emotions, memories and experiences youve made and the car will take a life of its own. truth over fame.
Old 06-20-2008, 02:19 PM   #7
NemesisEnforcer
Force-Powered Focus

Okay, so it seems a good plan...But how to do it? And where do you do it? Meaning, what contact points, what items should be grounded? The TB? Engine? How do you ground these....just line a wire to the chassis? You all get what I mean? Where do we start?

Should I use a terminal block type, or just run wires from bolts to the chassis, or the battery? This is the info I think we ALL need to know. My hope is that some person on here knows this info, and can impart it to us all.
Old 06-20-2008, 02:21 PM   #8
besthaticouldo
i wear no pants

http://www.focushacks.com/index.php?modid=31

read through that. youll find good info
Old 06-20-2008, 02:44 PM   #9
CleanZX3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 4970
What I Drive: 2007 CD Silver ZX4 ST S.A.P

FF Reputation: 12 CleanZX3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
The duratec big three, isnt the same as the zetec. Ive had, and done both. On the duratec, you have to jack the car up and get to the alternator from underneath. I'll go snap some pics for you guys.
Old 06-20-2008, 03:54 PM   #10
Ripped_06_ST
Retired Focus Addict

Fan#: 18779
What I Drive: 2013 5.0

FF Reputation: 49 Ripped_06_ST Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (15)
I've never heard of this and I have a pretty kick ass system in my truck. This is pretty interesting, does it help when the subs are pounding and the headlights go dim? I don't have this problem since Ford is smart and put heavy duty alt in their trucks, I'm just wondering.
ST Crew #16
Think adoption before buying, give a needy animal a loving and caring home!

Bookmarks & Social Networks