Sun Hyper Ground Kit Installed - Page 8 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Second Generation > DURATEC Performance (2008-2011)

DURATEC Performance (2008-2011) The place to chat about any Duratec 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-22-2008, 01:41 PM   #71
Derek Zoolander
Focus Addict

Fan#: 55170
What I Drive: 2008 Vista Blue SES

FF Reputation: 26 Derek Zoolander Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
okay i have been lurking in this thread for a while weighing in on everything. I am going to attempt this mod next week sometime. I will be using 2 gauge streetwires cable meant for car audio. I believe that will suffice. If i remember it correctly from when I had an aftermarket stereo it matches brad's spaghetti description perfectly. Might not be as high quality as sun's but I am sure its close. I also grounded my tb using only 10 gauge wire so I am really interested in seeing if the higher gauge does anything.

Is there a definitave list of what I should be grounding and how much wire should i need?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2008, 02:46 PM   #72
BradWhite
Head Hurt

Fan#: 54975
What I Drive: 08 Sedan SE Vista Blue

FF Reputation: 174 BradWhite Excellent Standing MemberBradWhite Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
"definitive list" - yeah, exactly what I'd like to know.

#1 and #2 in my list above are no brainers.

#3 comes from another thread here on FF and the improvement seen in throttle response. You've been there already :-)

#4 is from Sun's directions (well they don't say fuel rail bolt, they specify "Intake Manifold or Surge Tank" and another location for "Cylinder Head"). I would have used the engine hanger bolt (their recommendation for Cylinder Head) but on the 08' the power steering reservoir sits in front of that and I was to chicken to mess with it) To me anyway, the fuel rail bolt seemed to be the only location on the 08' that dealt with both of those locations. Please let me know if anyone has a better suggestions for that.

#5 Sun's directions again, which state "right side chassis, connect to existing ground wire".

#6 another suggestion from here on FF

#7 all my own and I have no idea if that was the right move or not (car still runs though)

Here's something to really mess you up! Sun's directions want you to daisy chain the grounds, one from another. But, I've seen other advice that the grounds should be run to a central distribution block with the block connected to the negative post. Hmm, my current install is a little bit of both.

LOL, right after I hit "post reply" I'm heading for the garage. I going back under! I want to look at the starter ground (might as well change the oil while I'm at it).

RIFF CREW, Sedan Revolution #137, TEAM Duratec #181, Bremerton Raceway #658, NW POSSE #6
Old 06-22-2008, 06:28 PM   #73
NemesisEnforcer
Force-Powered Focus

Fan#: 48598
What I Drive: LIQUID GRAY 2005 ST

FF Reputation: 352 NemesisEnforcer Outstanding Standing MemberNemesisEnforcer Outstanding Standing MemberNemesisEnforcer Outstanding Standing MemberNemesisEnforcer Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Brad, you seem to be quite obsessed with your car, I love it!

I read your list, but do not understand it....you note a bunch of spots to ground, but where do you ground to??

Like, you said, main chassis ground, and ground to engine block. Engine fuel rail bolt...etc...basically, your whole list.

What I dont get, is where you run the wires to....do they all go to the chassis, to some bolt on the chassis? Or do you daisy chain them all the way around? Or do they all go back to the neg. bat. terminal?

Please explain.

Oh, and I found these...they are only 21 bucks SHIPPED!

GIVE DUE REP!! ST Crew #78 /Duratec Crew #91
Go Pats!! Go Green!! Go Sox!! Go B's!
Seeker of Wisdom, LG Crew #1
Resident Sith Lord & Jedi Master, MMA
Thx to those in the military.

Last edited by Lil_RedZX3; 02-14-2009 at 09:47 PM.
Old 06-22-2008, 07:07 PM   #74
PZEV20
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 24512
What I Drive: 2005 Sangria Red ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 PZEV20 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Where didi you find those? $21 doesn't seem to much to lose if they wind up doing nothing.
Old 06-22-2008, 07:56 PM   #75
NemesisEnforcer
Force-Powered Focus

FF Reputation: 352 NemesisEnforcer Outstanding Standing MemberNemesisEnforcer Outstanding Standing MemberNemesisEnforcer Outstanding Standing MemberNemesisEnforcer Outstanding Standing Member
found them here: http://www.sportcompactonly.com/SCO/...78_p-56613.htm

They have them in black and silver, but they are about 50, so I just ordered the yellows. I dont really dress up my engine. Just want the better grounds.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:03 PM   #76
BradWhite
Head Hurt

Fan#: 54975
What I Drive: 08 Sedan SE Vista Blue

FF Reputation: 174 BradWhite Excellent Standing MemberBradWhite Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisEnforcer View Post
Brad, you seem to be quite obsessed with your car, I love it!
Oh yeah, to know me is to know that I go way overboard with my interests, you should see my gun collection (large vault - independent double fault alarm system), climbing gear, pyrotechnics gear, guitars, pro club lighting and sound gear (parties are fun at my place) and on and on... give me about a year and I'll calm down.

Anyway, I changed some things today so here's my current list.

Ground wires to:

1. main chassis ground (from battery) *stock ground still in place

2. lower engine block (from battery) *stock ground still in place

3. throttle body (daisy chained from lower engine block)

4. rear engine hanger bolt (from battery) - moved from fuel rail bolt

5. opposite side of chassis from main chassis ground - I snuck my ground wire under the ground that comes out of the wiring harness and connects to the chassis under the radiator overflow canister (daisy chained from rear engine hanger)

6. removed ground to ECU (OK, the PCM) - I just wasn't comfortable messing with that critical piece of electronics with my limited knowledge level)

7. tied the three grounds coming from the wiring harness, directly under the main chassis ground, to the main chassis ground. Say what? There are three ground wires coming out of the wiring harness that attach to the chassis right under the main chassis ground (on right, facing car). I left them in place, but each has a new wire going directly to the main chassis ground that sits right above them - probably overkill and I'll most likely take these off, but everything runs nice a smooth right now, so for the time being they're staying.

*I left the stock grounds in place per the instructions. Don't know why you just couldn't replace them but who am I to argue.

With #4 I ran it down from the battery and under the hoses there to keep it away from the positive power cables.

With #4 and #5 I was careful at the hanger bolt to keep them up and away from the heat shield.

Daisy chaining #5 along the back of the engine, I kept it away from that "big red cable" that comes from battery junction box as well as the heat shield.

So that's where I'm at today. May get bored and change it tomorrow - who knows.

She got her first oil change today. What the hell torque level does Ford set the robot at that puts on the oil filter? That thing was mutilated before I got it to come off!

RIFF CREW, Sedan Revolution #137, TEAM Duratec #181, Bremerton Raceway #658, NW POSSE #6
Old 06-22-2008, 10:21 PM   #77
aTm Beaner
Focus Addict

Fan#: 21542
What I Drive: 2005 Ford Focus ST

FF Reputation: 5 aTm Beaner Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Quote:
Oh, and I found these...they are only 21 bucks SHIPPED!

i just ordered them right now. $21 is a great deal. i would probably have spent more making them myself. im not too fond of the yellow, but i'll just add the black plastic tubing over it to make it look like stock.
TEAM DURATEC #512 ST CREW #100
2005 Ford Focus ZX4 ST
Focus Sport Cool-Flo v.1, Focus Racing Cat-Back w/ Magnaflow HFC, F2 Header, Focus Sport Tune 93 Octane, Saleen Suspension Kit, Rota Slips 16x7
Old 06-22-2008, 11:43 PM   #78
kimbo305
Focus Addict

Fan#: 52390
What I Drive: '00 Zetec ZX3

FF Reputation: 12 kimbo305 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by aTm [:)
;2193244]i just ordered them right now. $21 is a great deal. i would probably have spent more making them myself. im not too fond of the yellow, but i'll just add the black plastic tubing over it to make it look like stock.
Do a writeup, pretty please?
Old 06-23-2008, 12:29 AM   #79
NemesisEnforcer
Force-Powered Focus

glad you got them...that is why i posted them. i got mine too...just under 21 bucks. i dont like the yellow either, but i mean, thats cheaper than making your own!!

brad, thanks for the info. let me get this str8 though, you now have 3 new ground wires all coming off the neg. battery terminal? and is that in addition to the stock ones?? seems like too many from that one terminal...can u show a pic?

good info.

you have more rep....the rest of you make sure to give brad rep for this, and toss some my way for posting up those wires!
Old 06-23-2008, 02:56 AM   #80
Netmon
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 46321
What I Drive: 2007 ToriD Red ZX5 SES

FF Reputation: 45 Netmon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
found them here: http://www.sportcompactonly.com/SCO/...78_p-56613.htm

They have them in black and silver, but they are about 50, so I just ordered the yellows. I dont really dress up my engine. Just want the better grounds.
Yeah-buddy! They even ship to APO and don't jack-up the shipping to do it! I just ordered 'em up too. Now all's I gotta do is find some black shrinkwrap and I'll be good-to-go...

Bookmarks & Social Networks