Sun Hyper Ground Kit Installed - Page 7 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Second Generation > DURATEC Performance (2008-2011)

DURATEC Performance (2008-2011) The place to chat about any Duratec 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-21-2008, 01:38 AM   #61
BradWhite
Head Hurt

Fan#: 54975
What I Drive: 08 Sedan SE Vista Blue

FF Reputation: 174 BradWhite Excellent Standing Member BradWhite Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Here, maybe someone can make more use of these then me. Get out your magnifying glasses.

These are ground wires coming off of the wiring harness and attaching to the chassis.

These are the only two stock ground locations Ford shows coming off the negative battery terminal.

Fun Stuff,
Brad

RIFF CREW, Sedan Revolution #137, TEAM Duratec #181, Bremerton Raceway #658, NW POSSE #6

Last edited by BradWhite; 06-21-2008 at 03:59 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2008, 07:50 AM   #62
Netmon
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 46321
What I Drive: 2007 ToriD Red ZX5 SES

FF Reputation: 45 Netmon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
does it come with pretty decent VEHICLE-SPECIFIC instructions?

SAME PRODUCT LINE, Supposidly "reccomended" use WITH the GROUND WIRE KIT, what's ya'lls thoughts on THIS bad boy?
http://www.prolightstar.com/hyper-voltage-gt-091.html
if you get 2-3 mpg kick from just the wire kit is there really likely to be all of or ANY for that matter of the additional "10%" MPG boost claimed by this regulator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradWhite View Post
As far as the increased gas mileage is concerned, here's a pic of my info center this evening. This is all in town mileage, zero hi-way or freeway miles. But, before we get all excited I will admit that I've been babying it to get it up that high. No jack rabbit starts, shifting at or before 2.5k, not using the engine to slow down, coasting any place there's a decline or anywhere I see I'm going to have to slow or stop - amazing how fast and far a Focus will coast, and using those upper gears. If it's a flat road I'll be in 5th even at 35 MPH.

But, now that I've got that pic I can go back to scaring the crap out of high school kids in their Honda's.

OK, NOW I'm REALLY jealous! That picture was just plain MEAN! I wanted onna those "info-centers" so bad it was damn near a deal-breaker when I bought my '07. I came very close to going to a FUSION to get it but in the end was seduced by the foci's MPG and price.....

Last edited by Lil_RedZX3; 02-14-2009 at 10:43 PM.
Old 06-21-2008, 08:51 AM   #63
Netmon
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Here, maybe someone can make more use of these then me. Get out your magnifying glasses.

These are ground wires coming off of the wiring harness and attaching to the chassis.

These are the only two stock ground locations Ford shows coming off the negative battery terminal.

Fun Stuff,
Brad
is this from what came with the SUN KIT?
Old 06-21-2008, 02:38 PM   #64
BradWhite
Head Hurt

FF Reputation: 174 BradWhite Excellent Standing Member BradWhite Excellent Standing Member
NO! Those diagrams are not from the Sun kit. Those are from Ford Motorcraft and they are incredible. You can find out every little detail you want to know about your car, inside and out. In the wiring diagrams you can drill down to each individual connector which then includes how it's pinned out. And the wiring diagrams are just the start. It's not free, but I think it's well worth the price, something like $17 bucks for a month, $99 for a year of access.

Here's the link http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdi...ageid=&gutsid=

I'm surprised more people don't know about it. I'm going to post that link in a new thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netmon View Post
does it come with pretty decent VEHICLE-SPECIFIC instructions?
The instructions from Sun are better than what I'm used to for this type of stuff. They do include recommended ground locations, but they are not model specific.

I'd recommend buying good cable and making your own though. A lot less expensive. I think we've all agreed on at least that one point in this thread.

Quote:
SAME PRODUCT LINE, Supposidly "reccomended" use WITH the GROUND WIRE KIT, what's ya'lls thoughts on THIS bad boy?
http://www.prolightstar.com/hyper-voltage-gt-091.html
if you get 2-3 mpg kick from just the wire kit is there really likely to be all of or ANY for that matter of the additional "10%" MPG boost claimed by this regulator?
I'm extremely interested in those as well, but at $225 bucks I've kept my wallet shut (so far, had one in a shopping cart once before I hit cancel).

Anyone out there have actual experience with one of these. Love to hear about it.

Quote:
Well, we're all going to have come to some agreement on that! My thoughts are:

1. main chassis ground
2. ground to lower engine block
those are actually the only two stock grounds Ford has off the negative battery post on the 08'. I would then add;
3. throttle body
4. engine hanger bolt or a fuel rail bolt
5. opposite side of chassis from main chassis ground - I used the location under the radiator overfull canister where a ground from the wiring harness connects to the chassis
6. ECU case bolt
7. almost forgot, I also tied the three grounds coming from the wiring harness, directly under the main chassis ground, to the main chassis ground.

So, what do you guys think about those locations?

And now, back to grounding.

Did anyone have any thoughts on those locations or suggestions for better or different ones?

Damn, just noticed that I posted the same pic twice in those diagrams. I fixed that and the correct 2nd pic is there now.

RIFF CREW, Sedan Revolution #137, TEAM Duratec #181, Bremerton Raceway #658, NW POSSE #6

Last edited by Lil_RedZX3; 02-14-2009 at 10:44 PM.
Old 06-21-2008, 04:05 PM   #65
Netmon
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
NO! Those diagrams are not from the Sun kit. Those are from Ford Motorcraft and they are incredible. You can find out every little detail you want to know about your car, inside and out. In the wiring diagrams you can drill down to each individual connector which then includes how it's pinned out. And the wiring diagrams are just the start. It's not free, but I think it's well worth the price, something like $17 bucks for a month, $99 for a year of access.

Here's the link http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdi...ageid=&gutsid=

I'm surprised more people don't know about it. I'm going to post that link in a new thread.
Thanks man, good to know, might be worth it if I ever have a areally specific need. Good thing to keep in mind. I'm gonna save the link just in case...

Quote:
The instructions from Sun are better than what I'm used to for this type of stuff. They do include recommended ground locations, but they are not model specific.

I'd recommend buying good cable and making your own though. A lot less expensive. I think we've all agreed on at least that one point in this thread.
yeah I agree with that, I'm probaly going to either make my own or look for a kit more in the sub-$60 range.... For that price sun should be including model specific instructions. It should be a full as the Monty gets!

Quote:
Damn, just noticed that I posted the same pic twice in those diagrams. I fixed that and the correct 2nd pic is there now.

I can't read the first two but I can pretty much make out the second two...
(the new postings)

Quote:
I'm extremely interested in those as well, but at $225 bucks I've kept my wallet shut (so far, had one in a shopping cart once before I hit cancel).

Anyone out there have actual experience with one of these. Love to hear about it.
yeah it's pricy, but I figure the money I SAVE making my own wires....

where-as this something you really aren't, most of us aren't gunna make one from parts....

Last edited by Lil_RedZX3; 02-14-2009 at 10:45 PM.
Old 06-21-2008, 04:26 PM   #66
BradWhite
Head Hurt

For sure, I'm not about to try and make a "Hyper Voltage" kit. What I'd really like to know is, has anyone bought and used one on a Focus? If so, what do they think about it.

Quote:
I can't read the first two but I can pretty much make out the second two...
(the new postings)
The first two show the ground numbers at the bottom, there are: (remember this is 08' specific)

Pic #1 (left to right) G100, G102, G103, G104 and G105
Pic #2 G101

The other pics show where those grounds are located.

Last edited by Lil_RedZX3; 02-14-2009 at 10:45 PM.
Old 06-22-2008, 05:41 AM   #67
Netmon
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
For sure, I'm not about to try and make a "Hyper Voltage" kit. What I'd really like to know is, has anyone bought and used one on a Focus? If so, what do they think about it.
Yeah me too, but I'm not gettting warm-fuzzy on that. The main rank-and-file here has already seen the thread, decided to read it and chimed in or not by now. so... a few more weeks and we'll know for sure on that. No, I suspect, near term anyway, it will be up to one of us to take the plunge. The only question then is which? There are arguments on both sides. IF you do it, since you already have done and measured the improvemnt based on the GROUND KIT, you can measure the precise improvement added by the regulator to a vehilce with the grounding already done. I on the other hand, would be in a position to measure the difference the regulator ALONE actually makes on a car with stock grounding, then I can add the grounding and measure how much difference THAT MAKES on top of the regulator.... ClearlyALL of those would be good-to-know test data, so it's a wash insofar as THAT is concerned.... My GUESS is of the total best-case scenario-difference made by the two things combined, the Grounding is probably good for about 65 or 70% which makes it very likely the better bang for the buck, if you only gonna do one of the two. But the if that assumption is correct, then if you're gonna do the regulator you're a fool if you don't do the grounding as well. Just my ignorant humble opinion based on... well, ok, ...pretty much nuttin'....
Old 06-22-2008, 11:53 AM   #68
BradWhite
Head Hurt

Well, after doing some more research on the internet yesterday and finding dyno results from various sources that prove they work (Hyper Voltage kits) I bit the bullet and ordered the Sun Hyper Voltage GT - Hot Inazma Hyper System.

I just wish I had the knowledge and/or equipment to quantify whatever difference, if any, it makes when I install it. All I can do is push the gas pedal to the floor and shift really fast (hey - maybe getting older, but I still got the reflexes). And I can already get the tires to chirp shifting into 3rd. Maybe if I can get them to chirp shifting into 5th I'll know I've got something. I just hope they let me have my notebook in jail so I can tell you about it.

Quote:

1. main chassis ground
those are actually the only two stock grounds Ford has off the negative battery post on the 08'. I would then add;
3. throttle body
5. opposite side of chassis from main chassis ground - I used the location under the radiator overfull canister where a ground from the wiring harness connects to the chassis
6. ECU case bolt
7. almost forgot, I also tied the three grounds coming from the wiring harness, directly under the main chassis ground, to the main chassis ground.

Still trying to get your thoughts on those ground locations - yes/no, here would be better, leave #? out, you idiot what did you do that for?. Any input would be helpful, I'd like to write this up when we're all said and done and I don't want to put stuff in there that's wrong or unnecessary.

Last edited by Lil_RedZX3; 02-14-2009 at 10:46 PM.
Old 06-22-2008, 12:04 PM   #69
Egz
Sückn' n Blown

Fan#: 442
What I Drive: 2003 2.3l ZX3

FF Reputation: 111 Egz Excellent Standing Member Egz Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Well, after doing some more research on the internet yesterday and finding dyno results from various sources that prove they work (Hyper Voltage kits) I bit the bullet and ordered the Sun Hyper Voltage GT - Hot Inazma Hyper System.
Well, I think your wallet will be lighter, but thats about it. These things pop up everywhere, and never tell you what they do. They usually work by filling the box with snake oil.

But if you plan to go ahead with your purchase, try to take the most analytical approach to testing to ensure that it does something, and not a placebo.

duratec.wikispaces.com - Duratec Wiki - Sign up and contribute!
Old 06-22-2008, 12:10 PM   #70
BradWhite
Head Hurt

I hear you! I checked out some car performance magazines reviews on them, where even they don't really understand why they worked, but their tests did show improvements. I'll try and find one of those again and post the link.

I'll start a new thread when I get my Hyper Voltage installed, for now I'd like to try and keep this thread concentrated on the ground wires.

Here's where I think we are at in this thread.

1. I think we have a majority vote for "new grounds do help"

2. I know we have a majority vote for "make your cables", far less expensive.

3. What we haven't come up with yet is where should these ground wires go.

If we could get that settled I could go to bed and sleep tonight!

So one more time; (and there's no way I got this right the first time, someone has to have other thoughts or ideas)

Quote:

1. main chassis ground
3. throttle body
6. ECU case bolt

Last edited by Lil_RedZX3; 02-14-2009 at 10:46 PM.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.