Sun Hyper Ground Kit Installed - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Second Generation > DURATEC Performance (2008-2011)

DURATEC Performance (2008-2011) The place to chat about any Duratec 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-15-2008, 09:14 AM   #11
honhon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 24778
What I Drive: a better car than a focus.

FF Reputation: 219 honhon Excellent Standing Memberhonhon Excellent Standing Memberhonhon Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (21)
i can get free battery cable and shrink wrap at work, i need to make some cables so i can make my own ground kit... and it'll be all black so you cant see it lol

and brad, move that one cable underneath the fuse box, and the cable going to the TB, go underneath it, instead of on top.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2008, 09:21 AM   #12
Buickboy
br/o/stang

Fan#: 28542
What I Drive: 72 Skylark, '12 Mustang

FF Reputation: 39 Buickboy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (29)
Cool idea, while i dont believe the HP gains from that website Im sure it helps with the drive by wire TB. Heard a ground wire does good things for mazda 3's.

3mpg does sound good though
Old 06-15-2008, 09:38 AM   #13
PZEV20
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 24512
What I Drive: 2005 Sangria Red ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 PZEV20 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
This is similar to "The Big Three" often cited in ICE forums on several sites, and people swear by it.

http://www.focuscanada.net/forum/ind...showtopic=8122
Old 06-15-2008, 11:58 AM   #14
BradWhite
Head Hurt

Fan#: 54975
What I Drive: 08 Sedan SE Vista Blue

FF Reputation: 174 BradWhite Excellent Standing MemberBradWhite Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by honhon View Post
i can get free battery cable and shrink wrap at work, i need to make some cables so i can make my own ground kit... and it'll be all black so you cant see it lol
I'm sure "battery cable" will suffice. But you'd really have to see and feel the cables in this kit to appreciate the difference between them and normal battery cable.

I'd really like to see someone else do this with normal battery cable on an '08. Then we could compare results and perhaps figure out if the cost of these cables is really worth it or not.

Quote:
and brad, move that one cable underneath the fuse box, and the cable going to the TB, go underneath it, instead of on top.
You are a hard man to please. It's Father's day, can I have the day off (please).

RIFF CREW, Sedan Revolution #137, TEAM Duratec #181, Bremerton Raceway #658, NW POSSE #6
Old 06-15-2008, 04:37 PM   #15
honhon
Focus Fanatic

FF Reputation: 219 honhon Excellent Standing Memberhonhon Excellent Standing Memberhonhon Excellent Standing Member
just helpful info to make it a cleaner install lol...

and how do the cables feal? are they really flexible>? and soft?
Old 06-15-2008, 07:31 PM   #16
bdnld4482
Banned

Fan#: 46063
What I Drive: 2012 black focus titanium

FF Reputation: 37 bdnld4482 Great Standing Member
so , let me get this right. the stock ground cables are crap? just replace the cables and the car overall performs much better. WOW i might just have to do some homework and do this one.
Old 06-15-2008, 07:48 PM   #17
BradWhite
Head Hurt

FF Reputation: 174 BradWhite Excellent Standing MemberBradWhite Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
just helpful info to make it a cleaner install lol...

and how do the cables feal? are they really flexible>? and soft?
Yes, they are extremely flexible. Wrap one in a circle and pick it up and it will just fall back straight again. There's no way I could have accomplished your first suggestion to run the cable under the Fuel Rail with regular cable. With these cables I was able to run the cable along the Fuel Rail, go under the end of the rail, up through the hole in the bolt mount and bolt it in place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdnld4482 View Post
so , let me get this right. the stock ground cables are crap? just replace the cables and the car overall performs much better. WOW i might just have to do some homework and do this one.
Yea, the stock ground cables are not the best quality you can find. Why would they be when they can save money on each and every car they produce. But more important, to me at least, is getting good grounds in more appropriate locations. In particular, the throttle body on the 08', which Ford does not ground. But any car should benefit from better and more grounds. It's just a fact of life with all the electronics controlling everything today that a more reliable path for the signals to follow can't help but improve things overall. Just my opinion, for whatever it's worth.

I'm not an automobile wiring expert by any means. I make my living with computers and there's no way I will use cheap cables for anything I'm doing with those. I've learned the hard way that quality can make all the difference.

RIFF CREW, Sedan Revolution #137, TEAM Duratec #181, Bremerton Raceway #658, NW POSSE #6

Last edited by Lil_RedZX3; 02-14-2009 at 09:35 PM.
Old 06-15-2008, 09:42 PM   #18
honhon
Focus Fanatic

the 2ought cable we have is like the cable you have, it basically has really fine copper inside of it... basically the more copper strands in it the more flexible it is...

i gotta swipe some supplies and do this... i did it before with my 05... i made a 2ought engine ground, and a 6gauge fuel rail and battery ground...

if you go to oznium.com and look under the wiring, you can purchase wire like you have, i believe they call it wet noodle wire or something...
Old 06-15-2008, 11:23 PM   #19
BradWhite
Head Hurt

Yep, that sounds like it exactly. I posted this early but Sun describes their cable as 99.99% pure copper, with 1,477 strands and multi-layered shielding. Now I'm going to just take their word on that, I'm far to lazy to cut one open and count that high.

And that's how I compare them - to spaghetti noodles - cooked they're soft and flexible (Sun wire), uncooked they're hard and stiff (auto-parts store wire).

I'll definitely check out oznium.com, I'd like to get some more Sun wire but it's expensive in individual pieces (well the kit weren't cheap neither).

Old 06-16-2008, 12:33 AM   #20
iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

FF Reputation: 48 iminhell Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
FYI, shielding on a ground wire does absolutely nothing, and is a 100% false statement. To "shield" a wire you have to have a way of grounding stray current (in the simplest of terms). Being it is a ground, where would you ground the shield to? Get my point.

The wire is very flexible for 3 reasons,
1. Jacket material, they are probably using Silicon for the jacket of the wire (just like a spark plug wire)
2. Strand count/diameter, the thinner the individual strand and the higher the count the more flexible the cable is
3. overall diameter, I'd guess its a 8AWG wire which in normal quality battery cable is still workable (though I always recommend welding cable over battery cable, high strand count and usually cheaper)

Brad,
Do me a favor. Go to a run that is about a foot long and measure the resistance in Ohms. Most likely if you test what you have and various other brands they will be fairly close, as in close enough to not register as different on a normal DVOM.

A good article on the different methods of making copper wire, http://www.monstercable.com/RobertHarley/ch11_p09.asp

Part of the reason these grounding kits work for some and don't for others is the locations they ground and the amperages near those locations.
As electrons move through the wire and the amperage is increased the electrons are forced to the edge of the wire, or inward for negative charges. With enough amperage they can ride the edge of the wire and cause interference with near by devices. A great example of this is when you drive under high wire power lines or near a power sub-station, you will get poor cell phone reception and radio reception. Basically with any electric charge there is some degree of magnetism, which if strong enough can disrupt nearby devices.
You can read more here,
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu...elefie.html#c1 (and that site is a good bookmark to keep handy)

Bookmarks & Social Networks