Sun Hyper Ground Kit Installed - Page 13 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Second Generation > DURATEC Performance (2008-2011)

DURATEC Performance (2008-2011) The place to chat about any Duratec 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-27-2008, 06:24 PM   #121
Netmon
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 46321
What I Drive: 2007 ToriD Red ZX5 SES

FF Reputation: 45 Netmon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradWhite View Post
I got mine through SFXPerformance, they're on my side of the country so shipping is quicker. Yeah, if you look at Sunautombile.com, their home page lists Hyper Voltage and Hyper Voltage GT under "Tuning Performance" and another Hyper Voltage under "CyberSpeed".

I don't think the "hyper voltage" has the three ground connections on it (see we're on topic) that the GT does. And the one under Cyperspeed lists three specific cars it appears to be designed for. But I think you are also correct in that some where on their site they say something about models suited for particular purposes like gas mileage, mid-to-hard driving... something like that. I do not believe that they are adjustable though. I'll know more tonight, mine should be waiting for me when I get home from work.
look again, it's the "Hyper Voltage System (GT)"

same exact thing,

why? did you pay more?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2008, 06:53 PM   #122
BradWhite
Head Hurt

Fan#: 54975
What I Drive: 08 Sedan SE Vista Blue

FF Reputation: 174 BradWhite Excellent Standing Member BradWhite Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
No - you are correct, that is the same one at the same price. I was trying to answer your question about different models. Which Sun does show on their web-site, but they sure don't explain the differences very well.

RIFF CREW, Sedan Revolution #137, TEAM Duratec #181, Bremerton Raceway #658, NW POSSE #6
Old 06-27-2008, 09:37 PM   #123
NemesisEnforcer
Force-Powered Focus

Fan#: 48598
What I Drive: LIQUID GRAY 2005 ST

Points 18,461, Level 86
Points: 18,461, Level: 86 Points: 18,461, Level: 86 Points: 18,461, Level: 86
Level Up 23% Completed
Level up: 23% Level up: 23% Level up: 23%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 352 NemesisEnforcer Outstanding Standing Member NemesisEnforcer Outstanding Standing Member NemesisEnforcer Outstanding Standing Member NemesisEnforcer Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
i find that really interesting about your issues with different ground spots. i dont get why they would cause these issues you noted. my wires wont be here til next week. i might try and get a power wire (dunno if there is any actual differences) this weekend to do the alternator power wire.
GIVE DUE REP!! ST Crew #78 /Duratec Crew #91
Go Pats!! Go Green!! Go Sox!! Go B's!
Seeker of Wisdom, LG Crew #1
Resident Sith Lord & Jedi Master, MMA
Thx to those in the military.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:52 PM   #124
BradWhite
Head Hurt

FF Reputation: 174 BradWhite Excellent Standing Member BradWhite Excellent Standing Member
I know, it surprised me as well. But as soon as I moved that ground from the fuel rail, I picked up on the RPMs not dropping as fast. And it was really evident when the engine was cold. I could complete a shift without the RPMs hardly dropping at all. I put that ground back on the fuel rail and things are back to normal. Weird and I can't explain it, but I know where one ground wire is staying for sure.

Oh boys and gals, get ready - I installed my Sun Hyper Voltage GT this evening and will be starting a new thread regarding that very soon. LET THE DEBATE BEGIN !!!

But to keep with this thread, when I installed the HV GT I moved the three new ground wires from my negative terminal to the HV GT. I'm just about to go and drive it for the first time. I fully expect to leave earth's orbit (damn well better for that price), but we'll see. I'll be heading east, so run outside and check the sky for any UFOs.

New thread started HERE for the Sun Hyper Voltage GT.

One thing we haven't talked about in this thread, that is covered in Nemesisenforcer's thread on this subject, is running a new POWER cable from the POSITIVE battery terminal to the POSITIVE post on the alternator to supplement all this grounding we're doing. I'm using caps because I don't want anyone to confuse this with a ground cable. You're not looking for a spot to ground the alternator, this is the addition of another power cable and leaving the stock power cable in place. Get this wrong and the resulting electrical fire I'm sure will not be covered by any warranty. OK, we understand Brad - shut up already.

DO NOT add this power cable without installing an in-line fuse in the cable. The fuse should be at least 120amp and you may go as high as 150amp.

Should something happen and you don't have that fuse in place to protect this addition the resulting fire (there's that ugly word again) may not be the highlight of your day!

Here's a pic I stole from the other thread - that's a stereo in-line fuse but the concept is the same.

And here are two links, also stolen, for places to purchase these. Apparently they can be hard to find at your local national chain parts store.

#1 and #2

Here's what I understand the procedure should be:

Use good POWER cable 4 ga. or larger

place the in-line fuse as close to the battery as possible

leave the stock power cable in place

run the cable directly from the POSITIVE battery terminal to the POSITIVE connection on the alternator

If I missed anything there - someone jump in quick so people aren't hunting me down

RIFF CREW, Sedan Revolution #137, TEAM Duratec #181, Bremerton Raceway #658, NW POSSE #6

Last edited by Lil_RedZX3; 02-14-2009 at 09:52 PM.
Old 06-28-2008, 01:56 PM   #125
Netmon
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
No - you are correct, that is the same one at the same price. I was trying to answer your question about different models. Which Sun does show on their web-site, but they sure don't explain the differences very well.
Hey, guy if I'm comming off as conftontational, I don't mean that, I'm just a wiseass frequently lacking the "wise" part .... OK, i decided to actually do a little due dilligence before shooting my mouth of any further. Turns There ARE 3 models. Of the "Hyper Voltage System" (NOT the "GT") of the "NON-GT" models there is "TYPE LR(low), HR (high) and MR (multi-range), which have specific uses as kinda outlined here: http://www.sunautomobile.com/products_hypervoltage.htm
Then there's the "GT" with appears to be basically the "MR" but it's beefed up with the 3 additional grounding ports enabling you to also utilize it as a daizywheel hub. and these different products are priced accordingly:
(full spead here: http://www.prolightstar.com/sun-auto...-products.html )

... suffice to say I'm looking forward to your objective first hand observations when you get your's in.
Old 06-28-2008, 02:02 PM   #126
BradWhite
Head Hurt

Well wait no longer my friend

New thread started HERE for the Sun Hyper Voltage GT.

Old 06-28-2008, 02:05 PM   #127
Netmon
Focus Enthusiast

post moved to new thread. more on-topic. (if I save it as completly blank does it go away?)
Old 06-28-2008, 02:57 PM   #128
BradWhite
Head Hurt

Don't worry about, I even copied the info you posted on the models over to the other thread, giving you credit of course.

Old 06-28-2008, 09:15 PM   #129
NemesisEnforcer
Force-Powered Focus

Fan#: 48598
What I Drive: LIQUID GRAY 2005 ST

Points 18,461, Level 86
Points: 18,461, Level: 86 Points: 18,461, Level: 86 Points: 18,461, Level: 86
Level Up 23% Completed
Level up: 23% Level up: 23% Level up: 23%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 352 NemesisEnforcer Outstanding Standing Member NemesisEnforcer Outstanding Standing Member NemesisEnforcer Outstanding Standing Member NemesisEnforcer Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
i will be checking out the progress of your new toy in the other thread. glad you put in the info about the pos. wire and the fuse.
GIVE DUE REP!! ST Crew #78 /Duratec Crew #91
Go Pats!! Go Green!! Go Sox!! Go B's!
Seeker of Wisdom, LG Crew #1
Resident Sith Lord & Jedi Master, MMA
Thx to those in the military.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:25 AM   #130
melbzetec
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 10307
What I Drive: 2003 Machine Silver Zetec

FF Reputation: 2 melbzetec Good Standing Member
Quote:
Just a note, Sun's directions indicate daisy-chain. If you look at my 1st post here you'll notice that I've actually got a combination of both going on right now.

I read somewhere (can't remember.....doh!) than Sun actually has a patent on the daisy chain approach, and that's the reason that others have to use a terminal block. Don't know if that can be true, but if it is the daisy chain approach appears to be integral to the sun system by the sound of it.

GREAT thread by the way....thanks to you I think my car will be the first Focus in Australia with this approach. More rep points coming!

Bookmarks & Social Networks