Sun Hyper Ground Kit Installed - Page 12 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Second Generation > DURATEC Performance (2008-2011)

DURATEC Performance (2008-2011) The place to chat about any Duratec 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-26-2008, 09:12 AM   #111
BradWhite
Head Hurt

Fan#: 54975
What I Drive: 08 Sedan SE Vista Blue

FF Reputation: 174 BradWhite Excellent Standing Member BradWhite Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Now I'm really going off topic, I installed a new 2 1/2 inch exhaust system from Trubendz last night. Weeeeee, do I love that!!! I'll post some pics and what I had to do to make it fit (not much) in a new thread later today or tonight.

Let's see, better mention something about grounding....

Oh yeah, it's nice to see those posts from others that are doing this. Keep posting those as you do your own, very helpful to see what others are doing with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisEnforcer View Post
oh man for the money you paid, they better work!!
Yea, no joke!

RIFF CREW, Sedan Revolution #137, TEAM Duratec #181, Bremerton Raceway #658, NW POSSE #6

Last edited by Lil_RedZX3; 02-14-2009 at 09:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2008, 06:39 AM   #112
Netmon
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 46321
What I Drive: 2007 ToriD Red ZX5 SES

FF Reputation: 45 Netmon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
The 10% MPG should be a snap to verify.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradWhite View Post
Well, after doing some more research on the internet yesterday and finding dyno results from various sources that prove they work (Hyper Voltage kits) I bit the bullet and ordered the Sun Hyper Voltage GT - Hot Inazma Hyper System.

I just wish I had the knowledge and/or equipment to quantify whatever difference, if any, it makes when I install it. All I can do is push the gas pedal to the floor and shift really fast (hey - maybe getting older, but I still got the reflexes). And I can already get the tires to chirp shifting into 3rd. Maybe if I can get them to chirp shifting into 5th I'll know I've got something. I just hope they let me have my notebook in jail so I can tell you about it.
I assume you're talking about the $225 under-the-hood version, which interestingly enough makes no specific-in-numbers claims. HOWEVER the "POCKET" version of supposidly roughly the same thing, (plugs in to the cigarette lighter) claims:
" ...Save Gas (Testing shows an average 10% fuel economy increases)
Reduces Emissions (Testing shows an average 30% reduction of HC)
Brighter Lights, Improved Engine Performance, Reduced Audio Noise..."

with of course the usual disclaimer about, "...Actual effectiveness varies by vehicle." and the more unusual, "...*Actual effectiveness varies by personal drivability"

Point being whatever is claimed on the pocket one it's safe I would think to assume the version costing more than double the pocket one should do at least as well if not better. Chief among those claims to my eye is the 10% improvement in MPG. Something you can verify or debunk quickly with your trusty little "info center" or if you think it's not pecise enough, top it off run it out, top it off and do the math. I check the actual MPG on EVERY tank... (currently ranging 28-31)
Old 06-27-2008, 09:16 AM   #113
BradWhite
Head Hurt

FF Reputation: 174 BradWhite Excellent Standing Member BradWhite Excellent Standing Member
The specific unit, that should be here today, is the Hyper Voltage GT, and they make all sorts of claims about it. Which I'm sure under specific conditions on a specific car MAY be true.

I'm not sure if I'm going to put it on right away. I'm still trying to verify some changes with my ground wires. After moving the ground from the fuel rail to the rear engine hanger I noticed a change and I'm still trying to verify if that was in my head or reality. I made another cable last night and grounded the fuel rail itself again. So driving around today should help clear my head on that one.

One of my real curiosity's with the GT model is that it provides three locations for ground wires to be directly connected to it. Well, I just happened to have three new grounds on my negative battery post so those will be moved there, when I install it.

But, I also just installed a new 2 1/2" exhaust system two days ago so I need to let things settle down to figure out what "normal" is now.

Here's a link to the specifics on the Hyper Voltage GT if you're curious.

http://www.sunautomobile.com/product...rvoltageGT.htm

RIFF CREW, Sedan Revolution #137, TEAM Duratec #181, Bremerton Raceway #658, NW POSSE #6
Old 06-27-2008, 10:07 AM   #114
Derek Zoolander
Focus Addict

Fan#: 55170
What I Drive: 2008 Vista Blue SES

FF Reputation: 26 Derek Zoolander Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Brad your nuts. Your entire engine bay is going to be covered in that light blue loom pretty soon LOL

On the other hand, I have done a lot of electrical work, grounding/HID's in the past week so I havent been able to get a solid MPG rating yet. I do feel that my idle has further stabilized. Maybe a little bit more power too, but that might be in my head. Should have a better idea in a week.
Team Duratec #167

If I have helped, rep is always appreciated.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:18 AM   #115
BradWhite
Head Hurt

Well, I confirmed one thing this morning regarding the ground to the fuel rail. I’ll try and keep this short. I originally installed a new ground from the negative post to a fuel rail bolt. And from there I also daisy chained another ground to the left side of the chassis (facing car) to a stock ground under the radiator overfull canister.

I moved the ground from the fuel rail to the rear engine hanger bolt, which included moving the daisy chained ground to the chassis. After doing this I noticed two things;

#1 The RPMs hung high between shifts. When I’d take my foot off the gas to shift, the RPMs hung for a split second before they’d drop. But they hung long enough to really notice, especially when it was cold and I could complete a shift without the RPMs hardly dropping at all.

#2 I was having trouble keeping the MPG up to the level I was bragging about earlier in this thread.

So after re-installing a ground wire to the fuel rail last night I can confirm one thing for sure.

#1 above has been eliminated all together. I’m one of the lucky few that lives and works in town. It’s about a 15 minute trip on city streets so lots of chances to stop and go and shift a lot. With the ground re-installed on the fuel rail the RPMs no longer hesitate before they drop, not even a little bit and not even when it was cold. So that ground to the fuel rail bolt is staying for sure.

As far as the MPG, I’ll hold off on that for a few days to see what it settles in at, but right now it appears to have solved that as well

Old 06-27-2008, 12:39 PM   #116
dyn2liv
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 52297
What I Drive: 04 White Focus ZX-3

FF Reputation: 63 dyn2liv Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
This is really of topic, but I to have the Tru-Bendz 2.5" w/ the 2 Magnaflows (Rez & muff) and it is great. I too had to do a little wiggling to get mine to fit and then tac-welded & dbl clamped the mid-section. But once I instaleed the F2 header it made the exhaust truly roar.

On topic, the grounding worked well for me and eliminated the flicker in my dash lights @ idle. I also notcied less lag in response (revving) with the grounding and the addition of the cap bank. Because I did not put them on seperately I cannot say which afforded me the most gain.
Old 06-27-2008, 02:24 PM   #117
BradWhite
Head Hurt

Great, nice to see the grounding is making some noticeable difference for others as well. I'll have to start keeping at list of what people are noticing after the mod.

(don't look - off topic) I'm loving the Trubenz, mine was muffler and a hi-flow cat. Trubendz requested some pics of the issue I had with the tip hanger, which I'm sending them.

(still off topic) I'd suspect your cap bank solved the flicker issue as that's the kind of thing these are supposed to help with (but what the hell do I know). Mine should be in today. Play time!

Old 06-27-2008, 04:40 PM   #118
Ender07
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 55644
What I Drive: 2008 Mint Green 5-Speed Coupe SE

FF Reputation: 2 Ender07 Good Standing Member
I just put my Sun Hyper Ground Kit in today! It looks good but I have yet to test it out! I will tonight and let you all know!
Nation #57
Team Duratec#713
Old 06-27-2008, 05:28 PM   #119
Netmon
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 46321
What I Drive: 2007 ToriD Red ZX5 SES

FF Reputation: 45 Netmon Great Standing Member
Kinda:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradWhite View Post
The specific unit, that should be here today, is the Hyper Voltage GT, and they make all sorts of claims about it. Which I'm sure under specific conditions on a specific car MAY be true.

I'm not sure if I'm going to put it on right away. I'm still trying to verify some changes with my ground wires. After moving the ground from the fuel rail to the rear engine hanger I noticed a change and I'm still trying to verify if that was in my head or reality. I made another cable last night and grounded the fuel rail itself again. So driving around today should help clear my head on that one.

One of my real curiosity's with the GT model is that it provides three locations for ground wires to be directly connected to it. Well, I just happened to have three new grounds on my negative battery post so those will be moved there, when I install it.

Here's a link to the specifics on the Hyper Voltage GT if you're curious.

http://www.sunautomobile.com/product...rvoltageGT.htm
Yep, that appears to be the same one I was looking at here:
http://www.prolightstar.com/hyper-voltage-gt-091.html
is this where you got it or someplace else? what I'm a little fuzzy on is, in your link it says,
"There are 3 versions to choose from to suit your driving style" suggesting 3 different MODELS,
but there appears to be only one. (save color options)
In the link I posted it says, "Multi-Range Rev. Performance (Low-Mid-High)" implying it's somehow adjustable.
what's your take? (perhaps it might be time to start that seperate thread you mentioned....)
Old 06-27-2008, 05:46 PM   #120
BradWhite
Head Hurt

I got mine through SFXPerformance, they're on my side of the country so shipping is quicker. Yeah, if you look at Sunautombile.com, their home page lists Hyper Voltage and Hyper Voltage GT under "Tuning Performance" and another Hyper Voltage under "CyberSpeed".

I don't think the "hyper voltage" has the three ground connections on it (see we're on topic) that the GT does. And the one under Cyperspeed lists three specific cars it appears to be designed for. But I think you are also correct in that some where on their site they say something about models suited for particular purposes like gas mileage, mid-to-hard driving... something like that. I do not believe that they are adjustable though. I'll know more tonight, mine should be waiting for me when I get home from work.

Bookmarks & Social Networks