Sun Hyper Ground Kit Installed - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Second Generation > DURATEC Performance (2008-2011)

DURATEC Performance (2008-2011) The place to chat about any Duratec 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-14-2008, 02:28 PM   #1
BradWhite
Head Hurt

Fan#: 54975
What I Drive: 08 Sedan SE Vista Blue

FF Reputation: 174 BradWhite Excellent Standing MemberBradWhite Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Sun Hyper Ground Kit Installed

I recently installed Sun Hyper Ground wires on my 08' sedan. If you want to see a great write up on these ground wires READ THIS review which includes dyno test results.

I have some questions below, but first I'd like to mention that I really like this mod. Whole car just seems to run smoother and I definitely feel a difference in how it responds to my right foot. Nice smooth power from bottom to top. By the way, I'd already grounded my throttle body before I added the Hyper grounds.

OK, a quick story. After I installed the five wires in the kit I didn't like looking at three wimpy little grounds coming out of the wiring harness that attach to the chassis. So off to AutoZone for some more wire. I took the long way to see how the car was responding, results above, and no trouble lights (remember that part). I got home installed my new grounds and turned on the car. Staring me in the face was the first trouble light I've ever seen, "low tire pressure". Great what did I screw up? My first thought was to remove the three wires I just put on. My second thought was to check my tire pressure, right rear 9 lbs light! I filled it, drove a block and the light went out. Hmm, modules communicating better with ECU now? I can't answer that one.

I've been driving for about a week now with the new grounds. Average MPG before, 26 - now 29. And if I baby it just a little I've had it up to 30.2 MPG. That's all in-town by the way, zero highway/freeway miles.

I do have a few questions about things I did during this install.

#1. The instructions suggested the engine hanger bolt as a good location for one of the grounds. As the power steering fluid reservoir sits right in front of that on the 08' I didn't want to mess with it. Instead I located that ground on one of the bolts that holds the fuel rail in place. Well, they say getting the grounds as close to the modules as possible helps and that certainly puts the ground close to a lot of modules.

But I know next to nothing about car wiring, so any comments? Good, bad or ugly?

#2. Ford identifies 6 ground locations under the hood on my 08'. Four of those locations are actual ground wires coming out of the wiring harness where they then connect to the chassis. I used the location for the harness ground wire on the far left (facing the car) as my chassis ground on that side (that would be the wire going to G103 in the pic above). The other three grounds from the wiring harness attach to the chassis directly under the main chassis ground on the right. That's where I added my own extra ground wires, basically tying those stock grounds directly to the chassis ground. Here's a pic of what I did.

So again, good - bad or ugly?

The rest of the grounds are straight forward. One from the battery ground to the main chassis ground on right side (facing car). That's it in the pic above. One to lower engine block with one daisy chained from there to the throttle body.

Here's a shot of the whole engine dressed up and ready to hit the town. The Hyper ground wires are easy to pick out from all the blue wire loom.

Let me know what you think. All I know is the car hasn't blown up yet, it's running great in fact. But like I said I know nothing about car wiring so I thought I'd throw this out to see if I made any mistakes with these grounds. Oh yeah, all of the original stock ground wires were left in place also. Don't know why, but the instructions indicated to leave 'em so I did.

RIFF CREW, Sedan Revolution #137, TEAM Duratec #181, Bremerton Raceway #658, NW POSSE #6

Last edited by BradWhite; 06-27-2008 at 11:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2008, 08:27 PM   #2
honhon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 24778
What I Drive: a better car than a focus.

FF Reputation: 219 honhon Excellent Standing Memberhonhon Excellent Standing Memberhonhon Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (21)
looks good. but run the wire under the fuel rail it'll look cleaner.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:48 PM   #3
BradWhite
Head Hurt

FF Reputation: 174 BradWhite Excellent Standing MemberBradWhite Excellent Standing Member
So you're telling me you'd rather see something like this;

Done, tucked and under. Thanks for the idea. And you guys thought I just sit around here and shoot my mouth off. See, I listen too!

RIFF CREW, Sedan Revolution #137, TEAM Duratec #181, Bremerton Raceway #658, NW POSSE #6

Last edited by BradWhite; 07-01-2008 at 11:52 PM.
Old 06-14-2008, 10:02 PM   #4
kimbo305
Focus Addict

Fan#: 52390
What I Drive: '00 Zetec ZX3

FF Reputation: 12 kimbo305 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Sorry to go OT, but that kit claims 10+ hp? Holy cow.
Old 06-14-2008, 10:30 PM   #5
BradWhite
Head Hurt

Actually they claim a "max horsepower" gain of 5hp. And they include the disclaimer that it varies by vehicle.

I don't know about any HP gain on my 08' but I will testify to better gas mileage. Was running 26 MPG prior to install, now running at 29 MPG (purely in-town mpg - zero hi-way/freeway miles). It also pulls much better through the entire power range.

If you happen to have a car with a great ground system already, you won't see much if any difference. But Ford didn't even bother to ground the throttle body on the 08' and it's fly-by-wire now. Simply grounding the throttle body alone makes a big difference on the 08'.

Old 06-14-2008, 11:15 PM   #6
kimbo305
Focus Addict

Fan#: 52390
What I Drive: '00 Zetec ZX3

FF Reputation: 12 kimbo305 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
I see. The dyno they include at the bottom is probably a best-ever, which is about 9hp.
http://www.caraudiomag.com/testrepor.../photo_05.html
Old 06-14-2008, 11:34 PM   #7
BradWhite
Head Hurt

There's tons of controversy out there about whether or not this mod really makes a difference. I've seen dyno tests proving it does, and I've seen dyno test showing it did nothing.

The "READ ME" link at the beginning of this post is to the full article that dyno test came from in your link. It was done by CarAudio and Electronics on a 1996 Volvo. They were seriously impressed. But, it's definitely going to vary from car to car. All I can say is those ground wires will NOT come off of my 08' Focus.

Just a quick note. I can't testify to their HP increase claims, damn don't have a dyno in my garage yet! But, I can tell you that their MPG increase claims are right on the money.

I was running 26 MPG prior to the install and I'm now running at 29 MPG (purely in-town, zero hi-way/freeway miles).

Last edited by Lil_RedZX3; 02-14-2009 at 09:35 PM.
Old 06-15-2008, 12:32 AM   #8
'65 stang289
Focus Addict

Fan#: 48133
What I Drive: 2014 Focus ST2

FF Reputation: 9 '65 stang289 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
hmmm... may have to get this for my dads fusion. i just cant seem to get used to the whole drive-by-wire thingy
Old 06-15-2008, 01:24 AM   #9
starfuryt550
I Speed Often.

Fan#: 18440
What I Drive: Audi S4, Turbo ZX3

FF Reputation: 23 starfuryt550 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (57)
this seems interesting...how much did the wires cost you?
Old 06-15-2008, 01:50 AM   #10
BradWhite
Head Hurt

Sit down and hang on to your seat! $110. I've heard they can be found for $80 or so, but I couldn't find them at that price. But these are no ordinary wires, here's Sun's description of them:

"The cables used in Hyper Ground System are unique; in fact, the cables are made to our proprietary design that our engineers have developed to provide the lowest resistance electrical connection while minimizing electrical interference. Our 99.99% pure copper, 1477 strand, multi-layered shielding design is unlike anything else available. Unlike off-the-shelf wire, Hyper Ground System was designed specifically for its use"

I know you will never find anything even close to them in any auto-parts store. Was it worth the price? I think so, and I'd do it again if I had another Focus.

Bookmarks & Social Networks