Stock cold air intake - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-08-2003, 03:04 PM   #1
SVT2003KOR
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 120
What I Drive: 2003 Focus SVT

FF Reputation: 1 SVT2003KOR Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Stock cold air intake

I went to order a new AEM CAI and was told to save my money by the dealer because there is only a 2HP max gain at the wheels and if you just upgrade the stock filter you can get the same! Is this true, he is also saying that people get more problems from the intake than than anything else when you replace them in a SVT, but not a ZX3!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2003, 04:50 PM   #2
02SVTFOCI
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 147
What I Drive: 02 Red SVT

FF Reputation: 1 02SVTFOCI Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I have not had a chance to try out the AEM CAI, in particular, but I HAVE made my own CAI and had no problems out of it earlier in the year. The only problem I've been seeing is when I try to use a Foam Intake Filter (HKS Style).......I get a C.E.L. every time I install the Foam and the car tends to surge and act as if it's running rich (Verified this with my OBD Tester). However, I'm skeptical about why the dealer told you this as it seems that the MAF is designed to adjust to changes in air intake whether the stock intake is on or an aftermarket one is being used. By the way.......Is the "Dealer" you are talking about the Ford dealer or a Tuning Shop that gave this advice? Many other people on the board put CAI's on their SVT with success (Try a search on related topics). I guess the verdict is out though until some other people chime in. Seems like some people have no problems at all and others have replaced (don't remember who it was unfortuantely on the board) their MAF a few times. Don't know if this helps at all but it's a start.

-Later
Old 10-08-2003, 07:20 PM   #3
SVT2003KOR
Focus Rookie

thanks, it's a tuner, He was basically saying the same thing, about the C.E.L, and alot of people have the car back fire also. He is also saying that I will need something to Block the water from getting into the filter!
So What kind of filter does a AEM intake use?
Old 10-08-2003, 07:35 PM   #4
inline_engine_lover
Focus Addict

Fan#: 715
What I Drive: 02 liquid grey zx3

FF Reputation: 1 inline_engine_lover Good Standing Member
i believe it's an AEM paper element
Old 10-08-2003, 09:15 PM   #5
geekspeed
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 689
What I Drive: 2001 Silver F-150

FF Reputation: 1 geekspeed Good Standing Member
One person recently (in the last month or so) had some terrible issues with an AEM CAI on his SVT. Then there's a lot of folks it seems with no problems whatsoever. I'm going to just go with a K&N filter replacement.

And honestly, the difference the AEM CAI will make for you at the drag strip isn't more than what pulling seats and the spare tire will get you. And perfected launches, improved shifting, and slicks / drag radials will make WAY more of a difference than the AEM CAI for lowering your quarter mile times.

All of those things are cheaper than the AEM CAI, and none has the potential to mess with your engine (with the exception of drag-racing in general, obviously). My two cents.

Sincerely,

Beetle
Kid Haulin': Dark Grey 2005 Five Hundred Limited AWD
RIP: Silver 2003 SVT Focus 5-door
Old 10-08-2003, 09:35 PM   #6
R&DSVTZX5
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1093
What I Drive: 2007 Nissan Sentra SER Spec V

FF Reputation: 1 R&DSVTZX5 Good Standing Member
We have run a AEM CAI with no problems. I have heard that the MAF is very sensitive, we have had no trouble at all with it.

As of the horsepower gain, I'm not for sure but I can tell you that while having our cam gear adjusted our car dyno at 161 WHP. Only other mods at the time were Borla, ORP, and AEM CAI. This dyno was done before the new ECU Flash (YRF0), and at the time we were having some major issues with the car. I dont know if these problems affected the performance of the car at the time of the dyno. I think the numbers were low, but I may have had my hopes too high.

I wish you luck and hope you find what works best for you.

"Why ask, when the answer you hear is not what you wish to hear, nor the answer you were seeking?"
Old 10-08-2003, 11:32 PM   #7
02SVTFOCI
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 147
What I Drive: 02 Red SVT

FF Reputation: 1 02SVTFOCI Good Standing Member
The best thing I can recommend is just a trial and error method for CAI's............I made my own with 3" plastic hose (coupled to the SVT Snorkel that I turned upside down and ran up alongside the right side of the battery on one end to the open end of the filter and then attached the snorkel to the lower left side of the lower grill), a K&N type Cone Filter, a MAF adapter, and some diamond plate, and some various rubber plumber fittings from "Tuner Paradise" (That's right..............LOWE'S :) that I shaped and modeled after the Focus-Sport setup. This worked great for me but I took it off temporarily to replace with the HKS Type Foam Filter which caused too many issues to leave it on (Pre-YRF0 update but I still think the MAF will kick me a C.E.L.). All in all, CAI's sound cool, look cool, and grab cool air which does enhance performance (other dyno's have shown relatively more than what he disclosed to you.......but this is neither here nor there as the closest thing my SVT has come to a dyno so far has been my GTECH)and something I've been wondering about lately is how many people who were experiencing the known issues before they updated to YRF0 (PCM) had CAI's.........and more specifically AEM? I know I'm getting off track here but when you think about it perhaps this is why that tuner may have tried to dissuade you from the MOD. Just my 2 cents.............

-Later

Last edited by 02SVTFOCI; 10-08-2003 at 11:35 PM.
Old 10-09-2003, 12:04 AM   #8
SVT2003KOR
Focus Rookie

Thank you, you sound very knowledgable! He was looking at building a custom Intake as well, I did not know if he just wanted me to be a gennie pig! Thanks for you imput and I will keep you informed on the progress!
Old 10-09-2003, 05:26 PM   #9
R&DSVTZX5
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1093
What I Drive: 2007 Nissan Sentra SER Spec V

FF Reputation: 1 R&DSVTZX5 Good Standing Member
02SVTFOCI: My Husband and I experienced problems before and after the CAI was installed, the service tech told us the known issues were from the AEM CAI so my husband put the stock air box on. Needless to say things did not improve and the all to well known problems with the SVT continued.

The Service Manager did state that the MAF is very sensitive and does not take to change very well.

Do you think that some of the issues with the SVT could be related to having a AEM CAI or the MAF?

If so what if a short ram was run?

I do not know about you but my husband does not like the design of the AEM CAI and is thinking of having one made, or purchasing a short ram? What would your imput be upon this?

Sorry, to get this thread off track.

"Why ask, when the answer you hear is not what you wish to hear, nor the answer you were seeking?"

Last edited by R&DSVTZX5; 10-09-2003 at 05:29 PM.
Old 10-09-2003, 05:51 PM   #10
pitchblackab
Focus Addict

Fan#: 210
What I Drive: 2002 zx3 power premium auto

FF Reputation: 1 pitchblackab Good Standing Member
My friends svt is on crack after the install as well even throwing up o2 codes, I have to install the stock stuff back in so he can get the reflash or the dealer wont do it. They say the intake will cause all thsoe problems . Pretty lazy if you ask me its not like they have to actually do work to the car.

Bookmarks & Social Networks