Replaced valve cover gasket now car won't start - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-17-2013, 02:36 PM   #1
gitano
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 77765
What I Drive: 2000 Red Wagon

FF Reputation: 1 gitano Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Replaced valve cover gasket now car won't start

Ok, so I had to replace my valve cover gasket because it was leaking and eventually ate away at my thermostat housing gasket causing it to leak. After replacing the valve cover gasket I went to start the car and, although it cranks, it won't start. The cranking sounds labored (like a slow chug..chug...chug, or slog...slog...slog), definitely not cranking as fast (or as "sharply" if you know what I mean) as it normally does.

Fuel pump shouldn't be a problem: already had it replaced due to recall.
When I put the key in the ON position I seem to hear the sound of the pump for a few seconds.

I recently replaced the spark plugs (and wires not to long before that also) but haven't tested for spark yet though I don't see why that would be the problem since it worked fine before the repair.

Thought the battery might be dead so I tested it: only 230 amps output, so I replaced it, thinking I had solved the problem. Nope, still doesn't start, and has the exact same problem.

When I was replacing the valve cover gasket, the timing belt was all there and I didn't observe any missing teeth (on the top at least).

Any ideas? I'm currently at a loss. Thanks. Oh, and I have a 2000 Ford Focus with a Zetec

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2013, 02:55 PM   #2
GhostTribute
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 107929
What I Drive: 2001 Mazda Tribute (2.0L Zetec)

FF Reputation: 1 GhostTribute Good Standing Member
You have to check that the engine is actually getting fuel and spark to the cylinder head.

If it isn't getting one of the other. It could be something as simple as a loose connector/ground. Check all the connections around the valve cover that you could have knocked loose.....
Old 11-17-2013, 03:11 PM   #3
Bigdaddycodes
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 119857
What I Drive: 2000 black zx3

FF Reputation: 1 Bigdaddycodes Good Standing Member
Maybe check and see if you got the spark plug boots fully onto the plug itself. I know I had the same issue and that seemed to fix it
Old 11-17-2013, 03:23 PM   #4
clayton89
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 108214
What I Drive: 2006 Sonic Blue ZXW

FF Reputation: 1 clayton89 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddycodes View Post
Maybe check and see if you got the spark plug boots fully onto the plug itself. I know I had the same issue and that seemed to fix it
x100

they can be tricky to get on correctly. Double check this and you may have found your culprit.
Old 11-17-2013, 03:47 PM   #5
gitano
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

I'll go ahead and check the spark plug cables then. I do distinctly remember them clicking into place, but I guess I will borrow some fresh wires and see if they work and get back with my results. I did take them off a good amount of times. Could they have been bent or damaged somehow?

As far as the electrical connections, I'll double check, but I'm pretty sure I reconnected everything. The only ones I disconnected were the connectors to the coilpack and MAF. I did take off the coilpack mounting bracket and was pushing some wires around to get to the thermostat housing, but that's about it.
Old 11-17-2013, 04:41 PM   #6
makuloco2000
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 34231
What I Drive: 01' Focus LX

FF Reputation: 5 makuloco2000 Good Standing Member
you didn't pop the cam sensor?
Old 11-17-2013, 07:20 PM   #7
gitano
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Spark plug wires were fine.

Just checked the connector for the camshaft position sensor and it was secure (the one by the breather tube right...). However, before I replaced the valve cover gasket, I remember wiping the mating surface clean with a rag and some brake clean. Is it possible that the sensor was damaged somehow without me knowing? (just shooting in the dark here)

Are there any systematic steps I can take to rule out other problems? Thanks again.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:57 PM   #8
iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

FF Reputation: 48 iminhell Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
It will be related to the job you just performed. Nothing else.

To do a VC job all you need to remove are the plug wires and breather tube.
Being the breather tube has no mechanical or electrical effect, it must be the plug wires.

So verify they are in the correct order on the coil. The wrong firing order can cause a no start.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:23 PM   #9
gitano
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Just checked and the wires are in the correct order (double checked with the wiring diagram). But I also replaced my thermostat housing at the same time I did the VC. To make some working room I removed the air intake, coilpack, and coilpack retaining bracket.

A good amount of antifreeze leaked during this process as well (there was a leak in the housing the first time I installed it and refilled the coolant) and it leaked all over the top of the transmission and over a bunch of wires, etc. That general area was already covered in oil as well because of the leaky VC.

Is it possible that any sensors/connectors were damaged, e.g. crank position sensor?
Old 11-17-2013, 09:33 PM   #10
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 60 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Coil Pack connector & wires are a common failure point, so much so that Ford sells a replacement "pigtail" for the problem.

Look close there & check for spark would be a good place to start...

Luck!

S.R. #275

Bookmarks & Social Networks