1st AX in a Year - Disaster & Triumph !!!! - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Autocross Racing

Autocross Racing The place to discuss information about autocross stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-23-2008, 05:05 AM   #1
WeeAsp
Resident Curmudgeon

Fan#: 42718
What I Drive: 2002 RED SVT Focus

FF Reputation: 175 WeeAsp Excellent Standing Member WeeAsp Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
1st AX in a Year - Disaster & Triumph - W/Video !!!

A lot happened in the past year...

Got married, changed jobs and had a little girl. So, between all of that, there wasn't a lot of time for AX. I spent most of my time on the big tracks. So, I was excited to get back into the swing of things, but worried about being rusty.

The course layout can be seen here: http://www.gws-mbca.org/ax/ax-08/ax08-3_course.pdf

Yesterday was my first AX event in nearly a year. My first run out, the car felt FANTASTIC. I completed the first half of the course, upshifted the car into second gear and...

WHAMMO! Shifter cables broke.

I was dead on the course.

So, the next hour or so was spent trying to determine if the car could be repaired on site. In the mean time, a long time AX friend asked if I wanted to drive his 2007 Porsche Cayman.

At first, I declined. Then, the more I thought about it I said "what the heck!" and he tossed me the keys.

What an AMAZING car! I've only ever driven 3 Porsches before, all 911's, and I didn't care for them. However, in the words of Will Smith "I HAVE GOTS TO GET ME ONE OF THESE!"

No seat time in the car - ever and I cranked out a 5th place finish overall coming within 1 second of the owner. I had him sweating a little and I wasn't really pushing the car (I already broke one vehicle).

It was a GREAT time. Video below of my 3 runs. Never mind the color commentary. They all give me a hard time about the little SVT, but only because - when its working, I am consistently running with the faster more expensive cars. They respect the SVT, although they would never admit it.

1st Run:

2nd Run OOOPS !!:

3rd Run:

It felt GREAT to get back into the AX mix!! Even my daughter enjoyed the sound of the cars. They put her right to sleep.

Too bad I can't use the results in our AX challenge. Wait till next month!!

"I live with fear every day and sometimes, she lets me race."

2002 SVT Focus... Stock

Last edited by WeeAsp; 06-23-2008 at 09:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2008, 02:40 PM   #2
kimbo305
Focus Addict

Fan#: 52390
What I Drive: '00 Zetec ZX3

FF Reputation: 12 kimbo305 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Stock, eh? What's your tire setup? Brakes? How old is your suspension? Cuz mine felt slushy out on the field.
Old 06-23-2008, 03:09 PM   #3
Mr.Bergner
coffee, have some

Fan#: 32799
What I Drive: 2004 TW Blue ZX3

Points 6,323, Level 51
Points: 6,323, Level: 51 Points: 6,323, Level: 51 Points: 6,323, Level: 51
Level Up 87% Completed
Level up: 87% Level up: 87% Level up: 87%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 53 Mr.Bergner Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
Wow Tom, those videos just confirmed that you are an awesome driver. Way cool.

Question, I don't know how you can tell where the course is? I'm sure it looks different from the camera's point of view but it just looks like a mess of cones out there...lol!
Hatch Nation #29_____________________________________________________________________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
Old 06-23-2008, 05:24 PM   #4
WeeAsp
Resident Curmudgeon

FF Reputation: 175 WeeAsp Excellent Standing Member WeeAsp Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbo305 View Post
Stock, eh? What's your tire setup? Brakes? How old is your suspension? Cuz mine felt slushy out on the field.
Completely stock.

Set-up:

225/45R17 Hoosier R6 Competition Tires (I prefer the A6 for AX, but the ones I have still have life)

Brakes: Stock OEM rotor. Hawk HPS pads

Suspension: Bone stock with 65K on the odometer.

Intake: K&N drop-in filter

That's it.

2002 SVT Focus... Stock
Old 06-23-2008, 05:25 PM   #5
WeeAsp
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bergner View Post
Wow Tom, those videos just confirmed that you are an awesome driver. Way cool.

Question, I don't know how you can tell where the course is? I'm sure it looks different from the camera's point of view but it just looks like a mess of cones out there...lol!
Appreciate the kind words.

As to the route, if you click on the course layout URL, that might make it clearer.

unfortunately, from the camera vantage point it does look like a whole mess of cones....

2002 SVT Focus... Stock

Bookmarks & Social Networks