car shakes at idle but smoothes out while driving - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-31-2008, 10:43 AM   #1
ibanezjeepguy
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 49859
What I Drive: 1995 Green Jeep Wrangler

FF Reputation: 1 ibanezjeepguy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
car shakes at idle but smoothes out while driving

my fiances focus just had a new reman jasper block in the car and before and after the install she still complains about the interior of the car shaking or vibrating but under acceleration and steady driving there is no vibration... I cant tell what rpms it doesn't vibrate at but I'd imagine anything over 1500-2000 range... probably from the second the torque converter engages the vibration minimizes or goes away. how many mounts does the trans have and would replacing the trans/engine mounts cause the vibration to go away at idle? what else could possibly be transmitting vibration? the driveline/cv shaft?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2008, 01:52 PM   #2
dromeda
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 28157
FF Reputation: 1 dromeda Good Standing Member
I just went through this. First thing to check is the PCV valve, sometimes that can get stuck and cause it to idle rough. Then check the vacuum lines going to the PCV valve, or anywhere really, for a vacuum leak. This didn't fix my issue, but fixed many others. Just because it appears to smooth out at speed, doesn't really mean that it is, it's just running faster so you don't feel it as much.

My issue turned out to be a combination of things (crosses fingers it doesn't act up again). I originally replaced the coil pack (on the driver side for a 2.0 SPI motor) and that seemed to fix it for two days. You can debug this by leaving the car running and then pulling out the plug wires one at a time (WITH RUBBER GRIPED PLIERS), be careful this is high voltage electricity , but the boots are rubber, just don't use your hands. Then the one that you unplug that doesn't change the rythem of the motor is your bad port. You should also see the plug wire sparking to the motor itself as you pull it out. Mine wasn't sparking, thus it was the plug wire, or the coil pack. This will also throw a ton of CELs, just unplug your battery for 30 minutes to clear them.

Coil packed seem to fix it, then it started up again . Decided to replace the wires and plugs. Wires looked fine, but port 2 spark plug had both electrodes worn down (82k miles) and the gap was 0.086, it should be 0.054. So I changed out all the spark plugs. Seems to be running fine again, hope it stays that way.

Also, it might just be a bad motor mount. I had one of those too.

Hope this helps!
Old 05-31-2008, 01:56 PM   #3
ibanezjeepguy
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 49859
What I Drive: 1995 Green Jeep Wrangler

FF Reputation: 1 ibanezjeepguy Good Standing Member
her new engine also came with a tune up kit.... meaning
new coil..... new wires.... new plugs.... etc.....
I believe all the hoses & pcv are original so I will look into replacing that and maybe do a hose test next time I visit. though the last time I took the pcv out it was not stuck and still made noises when I shook it.
Old 05-31-2008, 02:09 PM   #4
dromeda
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 28157
FF Reputation: 1 dromeda Good Standing Member
Well... since it's a new motor, could be the balancer, though usually that would make it worse at higher speeds. Do you always feel it in park and driving? E.g. stick it in nuetral and rev it, if you still feel it than it's motor related and not tires/wheels related.

Bookmarks & Social Networks