saturn,hahahaha - Page 4 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Autocross Racing

Autocross Racing The place to discuss information about autocross stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-11-2004, 09:06 AM   #31
2fast4u
Focus Addict

Fan#: 2375
What I Drive: ZX-3 gone, now 05 Mustang GT

FF Reputation: 1 2fast4u Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
not a good comment 03_zx_three....anyway,,,civichatch+svt good luck with that,,,,sounds like a fun project car,,,,,,i myself am building my funds so i can go grab an STI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2004, 09:22 AM   #32
CivicHatch+SVT-F
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 4136
What I Drive: Chris=96 Civic Hatch

FF Reputation: 4 CivicHatch+SVT-F Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
STI *drooling* lol. Id love to get one of those but I have yet to have a car payment and I dont think Ill want one for a while.

thanx, Ill keep those interested informed on how it goes. Should only be a matter of days now for the 92 teg to be ready for the road. The great thing about that car is its got COMPLETE suspension work done. Damn that car handles like a champ! Cant wait to see what its like when its got the b18c1 in it instead of its whimpy stock auto LS block (its now been converted to manual).

Ek hatch
- JDM b16 (SiRII) swap, Kaaz 1.5 way LSD, Evo2 exhaust, shorty intake, hi-flow cat, B&M 2-bend shifter, gutted, lightweight bucket CF seats, weighs in @ 2250lbs
Old 06-20-2004, 04:30 PM   #33
WillSVT
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 9001
What I Drive: 2003 Silver SVT

FF Reputation: 1 WillSVT Good Standing Member
As a previous owner of a '97 Saturn SC2 with K&N drop in filter, I have to say from owning that car for over 7 years that most people dont realize this car is as capable and quick as it is. It was also a great handler, but overall, not in the same league of the Focus SVT. With only 2485lbs to carry, its 124hp engine was good for 8.2 seconds 0-60 stock according to Car and Driver and they also published an article called "Hero's of the Mall" which had cars that dominated in their respective categories in SCCA racing and the cars reprented at the time were: Mazda Miata, Neon RT, Saturn SC2 and Mustang Cobra.

In the article , the SC2 had the least amount of modifcations and the greatest performance increase with two simple changes. Lower profile slicks and a drop-in K&N were the only modifications. Car and Driver reported the SC2 as now doing the 0-60 in only 7.4. It was a little known secret that the stock intake in the '97 saturn's were quite restrictive due to noise concerns. Once you pulled the baffle out and threw in a K&N the car was breathing like it was intended to breath.

I raced my friends '96 Integra GSR and it was a dead heat to about 50mph when we just decided there was no use to going faster on a well travelled road. Suffice to say he was a bit shocked.

Dont kid yourself into thinking its weak because it wasn't. The car was stronger off the line from 1000 to 2500 rpm then my 2003 Focus SVT but beyond that, the SVT makes up for it. I could chirp the tires from a rolling start in 1st gear with only 2000 rpm's on the tach. It had a torquey engine for sure. A few years ago I beat a Blue Civic Si coupe going up a hill from a stop light without a problem. The poor guy was with his gf at the time so I felt bad for him, but not really since it was his idea to race, not mine
Old 06-20-2004, 06:23 PM   #34
CivicHatch+SVT-F
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 4136
What I Drive: Chris=96 Civic Hatch

FF Reputation: 4 CivicHatch+SVT-F Good Standing Member
i raced my friend Scott in his 97 Integra GSR with my moms SC2 and it was dead even also up to 50... then he started pulling hard. He was pretty impressed as well.

Ek hatch
- JDM b16 (SiRII) swap, Kaaz 1.5 way LSD, Evo2 exhaust, shorty intake, hi-flow cat, B&M 2-bend shifter, gutted, lightweight bucket CF seats, weighs in @ 2250lbs
Old 06-20-2004, 06:30 PM   #35
03Z_ex_Three
Focus Addict

Fan#: 45
What I Drive: Liquid Grey 03 ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 03Z_ex_Three Good Standing Member
The only thing about a saturn is the repairs are a bitch.
Old 06-20-2004, 11:26 PM   #36
WillSVT
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 9001
What I Drive: 2003 Silver SVT

FF Reputation: 1 WillSVT Good Standing Member
You're right, the repairs became a problem. Based on my experience, the SC2 was absolutely trouble-free for about 70k miles after which problems started to surface. At 78k miles I needed like over $3k worth in repairs and it just wasn't worth it to put that much money into a car without a warranty. (warped valve cover, fuel pump, rod bearings, engine/transmission gasket, etc...It was time for a new car. (my clutch was in perfect condition though as the service manager asked me if i had clutch work recently since it seemed like there was nearly no wear on it)

I drove my car very hard (lots of redline shifts, but no clutch dumps) and i'm not sure if this is what to expect from all SC2's that are driven hard, but in contrast, i've known of a few other owners of saturns that got way over 120k miles out of theirs and with almost no problems, but for sure they didn't drive nearly as hard as I did.

Perhaps the Saturn is extremely reliable for people who are easy on their cars but have problems for owners who drive them hard. Perhaps this is the case even with the most reliable of cars out there.

From what I read though, the Focus SVT has many over-engineered elements to its engine and transmission design, so hopefully this over engineering will help the car withstand the internal abuses caused by driving a car hard.
Old 09-13-2004, 10:16 PM   #37
JSTaBLURRR
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 12993
What I Drive: 2001 Saturn SC2

FF Reputation: 1 JSTaBLURRR Good Standing Member
I have an 01 SC2 5spd, and its a quick little car, the closest race i've had was against a newer integra, type R heads, full exhaust system, intake, plugs, wires, msd stuff, short-throw shifter, and some other stuff and all mine was bone stock and I was able to cut him off pretty good. The thing about the car that I love so much is that fact that all my ratios are high esp. 1st & 2nd. and plus I can launch and shift perfectly almost all the time. I also haven't had any maintaince issues except for the usual stuff but thats it. Ive gone up against like a newer focus sedan but idk what engine but my top speed should be around like 130 i think but i haven't ever had to go that fast when racing other people. Im not even sure how fast my car will run in the quarter, anyone know?
Old 09-14-2004, 01:10 AM   #38
Red97sc2
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 5582
FF Reputation: 1 Red97sc2 Good Standing Member
I don't find this race amusing in the least bit being a saturn owner. Thanks, for the guys who stood up to this total ignorance. I also drive a 97 sc2 5 sp. at the moment w/ aem cai/sps exhaust. If I told you right now what I have beaten with this thing, you would laugh me right off this board. Let's just say a modded pzev and a nitrous fed eclipse were among the victims. Don't hate on what you don't know about, bfocus4apple. For some useful info. go to
http://www.spswebpage.com/spsracing/...sports_2003_01 and see what I'm talking about. Those are all stock cars. The 97 Thundersport SC2 is taking out civic si's and everything else you see in that picture.

BTW, to answer your questions: An SC2 with an average driver will hit low 16's stock. It's definitely not unheard of for high 15's though.

Your speed limiter is set at 124.

My saturn has 91,000 miles on it, and it still runs just as strong as when I bought it with 70,000. It's had no major problems yet :knock on wood: and I drive it pretty hard too. My buddy has over 185,000 miles on his 92 sl2, and he drives thing like he's running from the cops. It has a welded differential(problem for saturns), so he does burnouts ALL the time in it. One of the only saturn engines that I've heard of blowing up was a guy who blew it at 246,000 miles. From what I heard it was rarely shifted below 5k rpms in the 100 or so thousand miles that he had it.

Last edited by Red97sc2; 09-14-2004 at 01:33 AM.
Old 09-14-2004, 11:08 PM   #39
Dangerous-Focus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 2695
What I Drive: 2003 Liquid Gray ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Dangerous-Focus Good Standing Member
saturday night at the local street racing i was beat by a heaviy modded sc2 by about 2 lengths. i wasnt prepared for the race (2 passengers and system+bald stock firestones) but i was surprised how quick it was.

15.8@87.17
http://www.savageddr.com/valeforknights/avatar.gif
Old 09-15-2004, 12:55 AM   #40
SVTJerbo
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 9367
What I Drive: 2002 Svtf

FF Reputation: 1 SVTJerbo Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by Red97sc2
I don't find this race amusing in the least bit being a saturn owner. Thanks, for the guys who stood up to this total ignorance. I also drive a 97 sc2 5 sp. at the moment w/ aem cai/sps exhaust. If I told you right now what I have beaten with this thing, you would laugh me right off this board. Let's just say a modded pzev and a nitrous fed eclipse were among the victims. Don't hate on what you don't know about, bfocus4apple. For some useful info. go to
http://www.spswebpage.com/spsracing/...sports_2003_01 and see what I'm talking about. Those are all stock cars. The 97 Thundersport SC2 is taking out civic si's and everything else you see in that picture.

BTW, to answer your questions: An SC2 with an average driver will hit low 16's stock. It's definitely not unheard of for high 15's though.

Your speed limiter is set at 124.

what kinda eclipse? rs? not trying to bash you or anything but thats a pretty tall claim,you just said agood driver can hit high 15's so ill give you the benefit and say youre a good driver, with your intake/exhaust what low 15's now? maybe mids if you only have a catback, any boosted eclipse wouldnt have a problem with you stock let alone a shot and a gs with a shot probably shouldnt either with your 2 mods you cant be taking out anything amazing granted maybe this was a driver error race or something else, but please in the future explain better

Bookmarks & Social Networks