HOW TO: FRPP (or any) Lowering kit (springs, shocks, dampers) - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis

Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis The place to go for answers on brakes, suspension, camber, alignment and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-16-2013, 07:22 PM   #21
ferret15
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83494
What I Drive: 03 zx3 and a screeming yellow eap

FF Reputation: 2 ferret15 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2 wrenches, 35 ft/lbs isn't a lot so tight should be fine. The top of the shock has a couple flat spots so just tighten them together good and then decompress the spring. Also I found to get the bearing to sit nice and flush it was easier to put it in the plate and guide into the top mount as you release the spring tension. When your done it looks crooked but sits flush. I should have take a picture, but you get the idea I hope.

A lot of this stuff Torque specs I feel are just "in case shit" insurance, too much and you snap/stretch the threads, if it doesn't have any tolerance issues I'm just not that concerned. What I do know is that putting stuff on with an impact is usually asking for trouble.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2013, 07:24 PM   #22
Miztaken1312
Focus Addict

Fan#: 74993
What I Drive: 2008 Black Coupe SES

FF Reputation: 2 Miztaken1312 Good Standing Member
A 9mm wrench fits great over the top part. The actual but is 18mm, but apparently that's an odd size for a wrench because we don't have one in our many tool kits.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using FF Mobile
Old 11-16-2013, 11:34 PM   #23
Miztaken1312
Focus Addict

Double post, but... it's done and the car is back together.

But I have an issue. Whenever there is any suspension travel, there is this horrible noise from the front end, on both sides. What could I have done wrong? Was there supposed to be some kind of rubber ends to put on the top and bottom of the spring like there was on the oem struts?
Old 11-17-2013, 12:16 AM   #24
ferret15
Focus Enthusiast

The Kit I picked up from massive came with everything for the Front struts. If you got yours elsewhere then I'm not sure without some kind of pictures. The general order of things is spring, bumper stop (flat side up), dust cover, Metal spring retainer, bearing (fits in side retainer hold), mount (fits inside the bearing), and the nut. The retainer, bearing, and mount should all fit flush after install and it will look crooked.

I can't really think of to many things of your creaking sound unless something wasn't bolted down all the way or maybe your springs were against the stop points. My coils in front were installed without any rubber guards, like the backs have.
Old 11-17-2013, 12:44 AM   #25
Miztaken1312
Focus Addict

I got my kit from Tousley Ford back in June and just finally put it in. It was the M-18000-ZX3B and the M-5560-ZXM1 springs. I think my dad took some pictures so I'll see if I can get them from him. I was the one doing all the wrench work this time.

The only thing I'm still truly uncertain about is if the upper nut on the strut is tight enough. The clunking/popping sounds more like the spring moving about in the seat more then anything else. It's just such a pain in the ass to get tight all the way. I ended up shaving down a wrench to fit, and tightening it while using another 9mm wrench on the top of the strut rod. I cranked on it as much as I could, but compared to the OEM struts, there is such a small amount of thread above the nut on the FRPP compared to the original.
Old 11-17-2013, 01:07 AM   #26
ferret15
Focus Enthusiast

did you tighten the nut with the spring compressed so there isnt' a load on the nut? I'm not sure how you could get the springs on without compressing it, but I don't know what set of shocks you have either. They look like the stock spec shocks, not Ford Racing shocks. That might explain why can start threading the nut on a shorter spring. At this point I'm just speculating
Old 11-17-2013, 01:22 AM   #27
Miztaken1312
Focus Addict

I put the nut on with the springs compressed, but only a couple of turns. And then we undid the spring compressor and finished tightening the nut. They are definitely Ford Racing shocks. This is the link from Tousley Ford's website: http://parts.autonationfordwhitebear...catalogid=5684

They're listed there as FRPP parts.

They came in the white box pictured below:

Old 11-17-2013, 01:25 AM   #28
ferret15
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miztaken1312 View Post
I put the nut on with the springs compressed, but only a couple of turns. And then we undid the spring compressor and finished tightening the nut. They are definitely Ford Racing shocks.

Tighten it then seat the spring
Old 11-17-2013, 01:40 AM   #29
Miztaken1312
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret15 View Post
Tighten it then seat the spring
If it's as simple as that, I'll chop my foot off and smack myself in the face with it.
Old 11-17-2013, 01:48 AM   #30
ferret15
Focus Enthusiast

Yep, simple as that. Take them back off the car, put the spring compressor back on. Tighten the nut good by hand but don't hurt yourself as 35lbs isn't too much. Undo the compressor and make sure everything seats. Re install.

Sorry you got that far only to figure it out this late in the day, I might be a little concerned to drive on it.

Bookmarks & Social Networks