How to Remove 08 Sedan Grille / Headlight - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Second Generation > MK2 Focus

MK2 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the second generation 2008-2011 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-25-2008, 03:43 AM   #1
BradWhite
Head Hurt

Fan#: 54975
What I Drive: 08 Sedan SE Vista Blue

FF Reputation: 174 BradWhite Excellent Standing Member BradWhite Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Cool How to Remove 08 Sedan Grille / Headlight

Maybe it's just me or there's some trick that I don't know, but removing a headlight from an 08 Sedan, per the owners manual instructions, is simply a lesson in frustration. And you have to completely remove the headlight to get to the bulbs. I now get the grille out of the way, a 5 minute job, and save myself a lot of grief.

To remove the grille, remove the four (4) plastic expansion plugs (blue circles). After removing the plugs pull up to release the alignment tabs (red circles).

While holding the top of the grille up look inside at the bottom, you will find one more expansion plug (blue circle) on each side, remove those. There is also a catch on the grille that hooks onto the bumper (red circle) on each side. Push in on the grill, push down on the bumper close to the grille catch and release the grille. If you did it right the catch should be released. You might have to try a couple times to get the hang of it. Also note the four alignment slots for re-installation, two on each side (yellow circles).

That's it, once those catches are released the grille should slid right out.

Now you can remove all three bolts from the headlight (blue circles), pull it clear of the fender and up to release that enormous tab on the bottom of it. And you can do it all without swearing or a cutting torch!

All I know is that if I'm doing anything with a headlight, my grille comes off first!

To put the grille back in, start from the bottom and slide it into those four alignment slots, replace the lower expansion plugs, push the top in and get the two top alignment tabs in place then replace the four top expansion plugs. Your done. That is assuming you remembered to re-install the headlight first. Which according to the owners manual can be done with the grille in place, but hey - good luck with that.

RIFF CREW, Sedan Revolution #137, TEAM Duratec #181, Bremerton Raceway #658, NW POSSE #6
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2008, 08:44 AM   #2
S2
Retired Fanatic

Fan#: 4939
What I Drive: Camaro 2SS/RS

FF Reputation: 67 S2 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (20)
Added to the 'HOW TO ARCHIVE'...........
Old 05-26-2008, 09:04 AM   #3
SuperFocusMan
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 20307
What I Drive: 12 Cloud 9 White SEL

Points 3,053, Level 34
Points: 3,053, Level: 34 Points: 3,053, Level: 34 Points: 3,053, Level: 34
Level Up 2% Completed
Level up: 2% Level up: 2% Level up: 2%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 3 SuperFocusMan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Nice, are you going to paint the grill?
N/A Crew #2
Old 05-26-2008, 09:43 AM   #4
BradWhite
Head Hurt

FF Reputation: 174 BradWhite Excellent Standing Member BradWhite Excellent Standing Member
Man you have good eyes. How did you see my grille work in those pics? If you're curious there's a pic of it in my gallery.

You know I didn't plan to paint it, but you are the second person to ask that question so I guess I'm going to look at doing that. Would you suggest painting just the center section or all of it?

RIFF CREW, Sedan Revolution #137, TEAM Duratec #181, Bremerton Raceway #658, NW POSSE #6
Old 05-26-2008, 10:13 AM   #5
john m.
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 55541
What I Drive: 2008 Focus SES Vista Blue 5 speed

FF Reputation: 0 john m. Newbie
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Why did you have to replace the headlights on a new car? I got a 08 and if those lights burn out so fast I would like to know about it!
Old 05-26-2008, 10:50 AM   #6
BradWhite
Head Hurt

Nope, no problems with the stock bulbs. I just replaced them with some that are supposedly brighter.

When you do get around to having to replace one though I highly recommend removing the grille first. Yeah, it seems like overkill, but it's just so much easier to get the headlight out. Personally, I'll never go after a headlight again without removing the grille first.

Hey, would you like brighter fog lights? I know this trick works. Replace the bulbs with H9's, they are 2200 lumens brighter than stock. You just need to shave off one tab on the inside of the H9 and it fits right in. I'm using them and they are turned on a lot, no problems from extra heat or anything else.

Old 05-26-2008, 11:05 AM   #7
SuperFocusMan
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 20307
What I Drive: 12 Cloud 9 White SEL

Points 3,053, Level 34
Points: 3,053, Level: 34 Points: 3,053, Level: 34 Points: 3,053, Level: 34
Level Up 2% Completed
Level up: 2% Level up: 2% Level up: 2%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 3 SuperFocusMan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradWhite View Post
Man you have good eyes. How did you see my grille work in those pics? If you're curious there's a pic of it in my gallery.

You know I didn't plan to paint it, but you are the second person to ask that question so I guess I'm going to look at doing that. Would you suggest painting just the center section or all of it?
I would suggest painting the whole thing minus the mesh, possibly body color or black. But I am leaning to body color. It would look killer.
N/A Crew #2
Old 05-27-2008, 01:38 PM   #8
theWorst
Focus Addict

Fan#: 55690
What I Drive: 2008 Edge SEL

FF Reputation: 6 theWorst Good Standing Member
i didn't have that 5th thing..

jsut the four top ones... and tilt the grille down and it popped out.
Old 05-27-2008, 02:52 PM   #9
BradWhite
Head Hurt

I'm jealous, that's even easier than the Sedan!

Old 05-27-2008, 03:20 PM   #10
theWorst
Focus Addict

Fan#: 55690
What I Drive: 2008 Edge SEL

FF Reputation: 6 theWorst Good Standing Member
i dont know why it would be different.. it pops out and in.. lol
maybe it was a manufacturing change somehwere down the line?

on a different note... i'm mad ford made their pegs offset.. i removed the emblem only to find out it won't fit upside down.

oh well.. at least i learned how to take off the grille..

but yeah.. without the grille it would DEFINITELY make the headlights easier to remove

+1 for painting your grille body color... i'm torn between body color and satin black...

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.