Brake fluid, pads, and SS brake line questions. - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack

Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.
Sponsored By:
Tire Rack

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-07-2004, 02:06 PM   #1
s4jones
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 8591
What I Drive: N/A

FF Reputation: 1 s4jones Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Brake fluid, pads, and SS brake line questions.

Hello:

I'm looking for a few suggestions regarding brake pads and SS brake lines.

After kicking a bunch of modification options around for my SVTF, I think I've settled on a (roughly) 3-year plan for my car. Since I'm just starting out on my personal "track day" vector with this car, I figure to limit my changes to start.

I plan to start with Motul brake fluid and a brake pad upgrade. Would it be worthwhile to go to stainless-steel jacketed brake lines?

Do you folks have any recommendaitons for pads and SS brake lines?

I've found G-Stop Brake lines and Steeda replacement pads. Anyone with experience with these? Comments and other suggestions welcome.

TIA.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2004, 02:33 PM   #2
RPIJG
Mr. Wizard

Fan#: 18
What I Drive: '02 Focus SE 4DR Zetec

FF Reputation: 1 RPIJG Good Standing Member
SS hoses(since you mean hoses, and not lines probably the difference is sometimes worth arguing over) are a good upgrade from stock, a much more direct feel, and certainly less pedal movement, especially when you apply quickly (increased fluid pressure). As for replacement pads, I just have to say this, Steeda is overpriced in just about everything they sell, I still fail to see the allure in their products, but...I can't give you any experience with their pads, Mintex makes an exceptional pad, they have two kinds one much more agressive than the other, and priced in the same manner. You can get the Mintex at www.batinc.net as for SS hoses, make sure you have a good weave, with a quality material, and even more importantly, the connectors...this is pretty important, since I've seen several hoses leak at the connectors and not from the hose body. Aeroquip(an industry leader in hoses) has some you can also get from batinc. You can get other quality hoses from different vendors and most all of them are of the same type of quality. Make sure that you get a teflon hose with the stainless outside, I saw some poor shmo on ebay buy some rubberhoses with stainless outside, and now they leak like a sieve (rubber expands, stainless cuts it, hoses leak). I don't know anything about Motul fluid, but since you've already planned that out, I assume you don't want any suggestions on alternatives.
Old 06-07-2004, 02:45 PM   #3
s4jones
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 8591
What I Drive: N/A

FF Reputation: 1 s4jones Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by RPIJG
SS hoses(since you mean hoses, and not lines probably the difference is sometimes worth arguing over) are a good upgrade from stock, a much more direct feel, and certainly less pedal movement, especially when you apply quickly (increased fluid pressure). As for replacement pads, I just have to say this, Steeda is overpriced in just about everything they sell, I still fail to see the allure in their products, but...I can't give you any experience with their pads, Mintex makes an exceptional pad, they have two kinds one much more agressive than the other, and priced in the same manner. You can get the Mintex at www.batinc.net as for SS hoses, make sure you have a good weave, with a quality material, and even more importantly, the connectors...this is pretty important, since I've seen several hoses leak at the connectors and not from the hose body. Aeroquip(an industry leader in hoses) has some you can also get from batinc. You can get other quality hoses from different vendors and most all of them are of the same type of quality. Make sure that you get a teflon hose with the stainless outside, I saw some poor shmo on ebay buy some rubberhoses with stainless outside, and now they leak like a sieve (rubber expands, stainless cuts it, hoses leak). I don't know anything about Motul fluid, but since you've already planned that out, I assume you don't want any suggestions on alternatives.
Awesome info there. As a new SVTF owner and new to any kind of performance mods, I'm alway looking for suggestions! Certainly not set only on Motul, just one of the options that was recommended by some Audi pals. You have other options? Bring 'em! More information = better choices!
Old 06-07-2004, 02:51 PM   #4
RPIJG
Mr. Wizard

Fan#: 18
What I Drive: '02 Focus SE 4DR Zetec

FF Reputation: 1 RPIJG Good Standing Member
Well, I'm a big backer of the synthetics, especially when it comes to things such as brake fluid which will absorb water, and lose their ability to work correctly overtime, I also went with a DOT4 fluid, which has better compressability numbers, and provides operations at higher temps, with less water absorption. The only fully synthetic DOT4 fluid that I could find was a Valvoline SynPower brake fluid. And I have connections to most major synthetic producers (IE Amsoil, Royal Purple), apparently they aren't big on brake fluid yet.

Bookmarks & Social Networks