How-To: VHT Niteshades Tails - Page 16 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Focus

MK1 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the first generation 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-20-2008, 11:15 AM   #151
Lolly
Focus Addict

Fan#: 54702
What I Drive: 2006 Chevy Colorado

FF Reputation: 21 Lolly Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I finally got to throw some niteshade on my corners over this past weekend. I'm horrible with spray paint so I figured I'd do the cheaper part to see how it came out. I love it!!! Thanks for the how to Snacky!! I'll try to put some pics up tomorrow.
Gump Crew #17 Zetec Crew #267
Quote:
Originally Posted by warneej View Post
lolli lolli lolli lolli let me see you pop that body
Quote:
Originally Posted by svt_gEEk View Post
Lolly lolly lolly lolly let me see you pop that body.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2009, 10:56 PM   #152
guitarisawesome
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 61407
What I Drive: 2000 Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 2 guitarisawesome Good Standing Member
I did the final (5th) coat of clear on mine (with 1000-1500 light sanding in between each coat) about 30 minutes ago.

Now, i let it sit overnight, correct? And should i sand it with 2000/polish it tomorrow? Or just polish it with plastic-X?

I just want the final coat to be GLOSSSSSSSSSSSY.
Old 01-02-2009, 03:04 AM   #153
guitarisawesome
Focus Enthusiast

For those of you who haven't done this and want a really nice shine, here's what i did and they turned out great.

So after two hours of waiting for the clear coat to dry nice and hard; without touching the lights with my hands. I sprayed them with water and hit it with 1000 grit; so that the entire surface had an even amount of "blur", so there were no little canyons. There is just a very smooth surface, no shininess, but a smooth and EVEN surface (you don't want there to be little spots of shine/aka; orange peel).

Then i did a nice amount of 1500 for a solid 20 strokes for each section of the tail (or signal, depending on what you're doing). Then i repeated that step with 2000 grit just so it would be a nice fine surface (you could probably hit it with 2500 or 3000 and it would be better than stock IMO). Make sure you're sanding very lightly with all grits of sandpaper. Especially with the finals sandpapering, as this will be the part that get's polished; and will show if you pushed down really hard onto the lights.

After that, i took a meguires pad (the yellow ones that come with the little meguires kit, you can use any "polishing pad" or "polishing cloth") and hit the lights with some plastic-X (plastic polish; any kind of plastic polish probably works) and just did small little clockwise circles all around it (i worked from the right side to left side) for about two minutes for each tail, and however much time for the smaller lights. After i did all of them and whipped them off with a microfiber towel, i took the meguires pad/polish and repeated the steps one more time. This gave it a much shinier surface. You could probably do it a third time and REALLY see how it shines (which is what i did and they were like stock shine!).

After that, i hit them with some nxt wax (again, you can use whatever wax or polish you like) and again, polished them in little circles for about 30 seconds this time, and proceeded to wipe them off with a microfiber towel. They should have been shiny before, and now they should reflect like a black or red mirror.

Last edited by guitarisawesome; 01-09-2009 at 08:58 PM. Reason: Better steps.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:24 PM   #154
Riverratrider
Focus Addict

Fan#: 57603
What I Drive: '02 Toreador Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 47 Riverratrider Great Standing Member
awesome, throw up some pics of the final outcome!

~Leave no trace~
Old 01-04-2009, 11:26 PM   #155
guitarisawesome
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverratrider View Post
awesome, throw up some pics of the final outcome!
Sure! Here ya go.

Just another side note. I've found that polishing for about one full polish all the way around the light, wiping it off and then polishing again (repeat this three times) will get you AMAZING results.

Old 01-05-2009, 04:49 AM   #156
Riverratrider
Focus Addict

Fan#: 57603
What I Drive: '02 Toreador Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 47 Riverratrider Great Standing Member
nice job! When I did my tails I used the the polish from a headlight restoration kit. It's nice because it comes with a sponge adaptor (sp?) to polish them up. You don't need too much polish. Not to nit pick, but any reasn why you didn't leave the reverse light clear? And make sure you get some LED bulbs so they shine through and no tickets!

~Leave no trace~
Old 01-05-2009, 12:00 PM   #157
FociZX4ST
Don't read this!

Fan#: 56232
What I Drive: 2005 Infra-Red Focus ZX4 ST

FF Reputation: 4 FociZX4ST Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
LED lights are not actually brighter in the focus break light housing, don't waist your money.

Team Duratec #183, Sedan Revolution #168

What is a "free" gift ? Aren't all gifts free?
Old 01-05-2009, 09:16 PM   #158
guitarisawesome
Focus Enthusiast

Yeah, that's what i heard focizx4st. And as for why i blacked out the reverse....well i wanted blackouts, not partial blackouts ;). Haha! It still shines through ok, if i feel like it's not bright enough, i'll just take some nail polish remover and make it brighter.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:32 PM   #159
ShamrockSVT
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 47719
What I Drive: 2011 Ford Fiesta SE

FF Reputation: 72 ShamrockSVT Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I've said it before and I will say it again, I strong advise against waxing anything you have painted for 90 days.
Also, after any coat of paint, follow the paint manufacturer's timeline to make sure you a re-coating in the proper window of time, and that you let the paint harden (usually refered to as ready to handle) before you do any sanding. 1500 grit is fine, but for the highest grade of shine don't be scared to work with some 2000 grit or greater paper.
Old 04-04-2009, 08:27 PM   #160
ccotton54
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 61822
What I Drive: 01' SPI 5spd Blk/05' ZX5 5sp Silv.

FF Reputation: 1 ccotton54 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
should i remove the masking from the reverse light and put the clear over that part of the light as well so their is a consistent surface?
SPI Owners Club #7

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->