Introducing the redesigned 2009 Ford Focus Coupe - Page 30 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-13-2008, 01:45 PM   #291
Arkaign
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 53519
What I Drive: 2008 Red Focus Coupe 5Spd

FF Reputation: 3 Arkaign Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
[QUOTE=DrkKnight614;2175152]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkaign View Post

Agreed, I feel like many people on here just talk outta left field and have no idea what they are talking about. Before making opinions about something, please get facts.

But Ark, for one, a turbo focus, such as the RS would not be anywhere close to 30k. The ST if it was here would run the same price as the rest of the sport compacts in the low 20k bracket. And RS would probably go for like 25 or 26k, maybe a bit more. You are right about America maybe not buying into paying so much for a Ford and they do need to take steps, but they are. Their quality is going up and they are making some pretty good vehicals, whether we like the way they look good or not, you gotta look beyond the skin. The Fiesta is coming our way, and looks really good and does not look like a cheap pos B segment car with cheap materials. It looks like a quality small car. The interior looks great too. So really the Fiesta will decide alot of future Ford production plans and whether we get awesome Foci. Gas prices are souring, one reason why the Focus is flying off the lots, and many americans are starting to buy into more small cars. Hell I see at least 3 smart cars a week, and I mean a few years ago...who would of thought anyone would of bought one of those lol. Trucks and SUVs are on their way to moving out, the auto companys see this and Ford for example is retooling factories to build cars instead of trucks. I believe GM and Toyota have plans for this as well. The world is changing, and in the next decade the auto industry and what americans deem as acceptable transportation will change greatly.
Agreed for the most part. I still don't believe that a US Focus ST / RS model would be all that affordable. Look at some of the options that represent what the UK Focus MK2 ST/RS have in them for the typical setup from the dealers :

NAV
Bluetooth
6 SPD
4 Wheel Disc / ABS
DSG (Powershift)
Advanced Digital Climate Control
High End Leather
Electronic Stability Control
EHPAS Steering Control
18" Alloy Wheels / Performance Tires
Rain Sensing Wipers
Heated Windshield Washer Jets
Adaptive Xenon Lighting System with LEDs for Rear
Parking Distance Sensor
Solar Reflective Windshield System
Powerfold Side Mirrors
Side Turn Indicators
etc
etc
etc

Tons and tons and tons of high-tech and luxury options, either standard or optional, that add up to a lot of expense. Look at the cheap Turbo vehicles we have here currently, they're pretty spartan/cheap. I like the EVO and WRX, but they're a LOT lower-end on options/equipment than the MK2 Focus ST/RS are. Even the Volvo C30 pales in comparison to what's available on the ST and RS.

If they brought it here with the same standard equipment, and the same option packages, I wouldn't expect to see the ST for any less than $27k or so, and the RS probably topping $30k easily, with fully equipped models reaching for the $40k mark.

Don't think of it as anything similar to the US Ford product, it's literally designed and equipped to compete against BMW 1 series, 3 Series, Audi A3/A4, etc, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2008, 01:52 PM   #292
razorrik

Fan#: 38279
What I Drive: vehicle

FF Reputation: 7 razorrik Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
regardless i still say this is a far cry from a RE design model,,just a face lift and some visual add ons.
Old 06-14-2008, 07:22 AM   #293
melbzetec
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 10307
What I Drive: 2003 Machine Silver Zetec

FF Reputation: 2 melbzetec Good Standing Member
Not ignorance, and NO suggestion from me that Ford import the car from Europe. Instead they should have used the exterior design to manufacture wherever the US Focus is manufactured now. Same set of tooling designs and engineering rather than a seperate set for US and the massive costs involved (amortized or not). But all too late now

Euro designed Focus (built in South Africa) is currently for sale in Australia for $20,000 drive away (about U.S. $18,750) and that includes a 10% import tariff, without which would bring it down to $17,045 US. That's on pissy sales of about 12,000 a year in Oz. and includes the cost of shipping them half way around the world. US volumes would bring the price down further in the US market. Damn close to $15,000 US

Yes U.S. Focus sales are up, but Ford U.S. is still hugely unprofitable, and declared two weeks ago that they have no hope of returning to profit next year. You guys seem to be suggesting that life is rosy for the company. It's not

Keep doing the same things, and you'll get the same results.

My real point wasonly this: US car executives sitting in Detroit have traditionally suffered from "not invented here" syndrome. They "know" better what the US consumer wants from a design point of view. There are enough posts on this Forum that suggest otherwise.

I'll shut up and go away now!
Old 06-14-2008, 12:08 PM   #294
azdamay
Titular Wit Here

Fan#: 27396
What I Drive: 2004 GTO, 1986 Civic Si, 2010 TC

FF Reputation: 8 azdamay Good Standing Member
melbzetec I agree with you, but trying to get this idea across to the 2008 model U.S. owners is a hopeless cause. They're buyers of an interim model but refuse to believe it, apparently. What you just described in the post above is what Ford of North America plans to do for 2010-2011 last I heard, which is realign the model our market gets with the ROW model, and presumably build it here or in Mexico.
Old 06-14-2008, 12:18 PM   #295
DrkKnight614
GO Green

Fan#: 14522
What I Drive: 2003 2.0L Grabber Green Zx3

FF Reputation: 47 DrkKnight614 Great Standing Member
[QUOTE=Arkaign;2175356]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrkKnight614 View Post

Agreed for the most part. I still don't believe that a US Focus ST / RS model would be all that affordable. Look at some of the options that represent what the UK Focus MK2 ST/RS have in them for the typical setup from the dealers :

NAV
Bluetooth
6 SPD
4 Wheel Disc / ABS
DSG (Powershift)
Advanced Digital Climate Control
High End Leather
Electronic Stability Control
EHPAS Steering Control
18" Alloy Wheels / Performance Tires
Rain Sensing Wipers
Heated Windshield Washer Jets
Adaptive Xenon Lighting System with LEDs for Rear
Parking Distance Sensor
Solar Reflective Windshield System
Powerfold Side Mirrors
Side Turn Indicators
etc
etc
etc

Tons and tons and tons of high-tech and luxury options, either standard or optional, that add up to a lot of expense. Look at the cheap Turbo vehicles we have here currently, they're pretty spartan/cheap. I like the EVO and WRX, but they're a LOT lower-end on options/equipment than the MK2 Focus ST/RS are. Even the Volvo C30 pales in comparison to what's available on the ST and RS.

If they brought it here with the same standard equipment, and the same option packages, I wouldn't expect to see the ST for any less than $27k or so, and the RS probably topping $30k easily, with fully equipped models reaching for the $40k mark.

Don't think of it as anything similar to the US Ford product, it's literally designed and equipped to compete against BMW 1 series, 3 Series, Audi A3/A4, etc, etc.
Of couse, but I do believe similar options were offered on the MKI focus in europe that were not offered here. Options are easy to not include and most of them we will not get. I think the new ones even have heated windshields lol. Many of the real hightech options we will not get, such as the heated windshields. But the others, well we already have sync and even mazda has rainsening wipers which are not rediculously expensive. The MS3 is pretty well equipped and has many great options so I expect an ST to be priced very similar. The STI and Evo do have alot of tech, just its more in the performance of the car. They have all these stability control things, awd, a bunch of traction control selections, yaw control etc etc, all of which do not come on the ST, which is what drives their price much higer.
Old 06-14-2008, 12:23 PM   #296
azdamay
Titular Wit Here

Ford left all kinds of stuff off the Mk.I Focus for NA, like automatic air conditioning, cabin air filter, lighted buttons on the doors, headlights with level adjustment on the dash, etc, etc. They can, and presumably will, do the same for a new model to be sold here.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:45 PM   #297
Marabou
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 56609
What I Drive: '03 CompOrange 3door

FF Reputation: 1 Marabou Good Standing Member
eh.... just bring the european focus to the U.S. that will solve the problems with the new focus's appearance.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:51 PM   #298
dubalicious
Focus Addict

Fan#: 33589
What I Drive: 2004 SVT Focus, I call her Vera.

FF Reputation: 2 dubalicious Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdamay View Post
Ford left all kinds of stuff off the Mk.I Focus for NA, like automatic air conditioning, cabin air filter, lighted buttons on the doors, headlights with level adjustment on the dash, etc, etc. They can, and presumably will, do the same for a new model to be sold here.
Small point, the 01's through 04's had everything you need for the cabin air filter except the actual filter, so all you need to do is go down to autozone and get one.
The other things don't really detract from the driving pleasure of the car.
Old 06-17-2008, 03:22 AM   #299
GhiaFan
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 50498
What I Drive: 2007 Panther Black Focus 1.6 Ti-VCT

Points 8,638, Level 62
Points: 8,638, Level: 62 Points: 8,638, Level: 62 Points: 8,638, Level: 62
Level Up 63% Completed
Level up: 63% Level up: 63% Level up: 63%
Forum Activity 8%
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%
FF Reputation: 12 GhiaFan Great Standing Member
Ark needs to understand that the worldwide current Focus is not sold exclusively in the UK. The cost of living, wages, etc in the UK is totally different then Germany , or Japan , or Australia, South Africa, Finland, etc. all countries were the Focus is sold at very different price points.

In my country Estonia which is northern Europe the lead in price for the base Focus 3 door HB in Estonia Krona 165,000 before tax. Now convert that to US $ and subtract about 20 percent which would be approximately in US$14,000.00 to adjust for the U.S.A. current market C segment MSRPs. Now I understand it is still hard to make an apple to apple comparison because of the powerplant hp and the difference in standard equipment offered in the Euro Focus such as ABS, EBD, ESP, EBA, Quickclear Windowscreen, Audio systems with 6 speakers (not 4 as in N.A.),& option choices such as dual climate control,autodimming rearview mirror,adaptive headlights,navigation, etc.
In many global markets the Focus is offered with a choice of 8 different engines, which means it fits in many consumers budgets.
Ark you make it sound as if the only choices us poor Euro consumers have are the pip squick 1.4L 80hp or the 2.5T 225hp.
The average Focus consumer is not looking for 0-60 track times, rather for a good , well built, fuel efficient , affordable, good driving car.
In my country for MY2008 Focus consumers have a choice of (gas)
1.4L mention above, the 1.6L 100hp, 1.8L 115hp, 2.0L 145hp, 2.5T 225hp,
plus three TDCi (diesels) 1.6 90hp, 1.8 115hp & 2.0 136hp. (fits many pocket books, and not all trim levels competiting against as Ark wrote BMW,Audi, etc.)
Even B segment and A segment cars in Europe are offered with many features not normally offered in N.A. vehicles.

But if built in N.A. strip out some of the standard features, put the 2.0L 140hp engine, and viola N.A. has a proper C sgement competitor which Ford can confidently sell at proper C-segment MSRP, plus have a very good starting point for down sizers who "will" consider a fully loaded C1 Focus.

Also remember Ark that the N.A. Focus is selling at B-segment pricing ala Fit,Yaris etc. which should not bode well if you understand business, consumer perception and bottom line.

IMO the N.A. 2008 redesign is a decent car with very good dynamics, with styling so far from its origins and selling at a segment lower then it should Ford N.A. should have named this car something else, because Ford N.A. next challenge will be how to change the average consumers perception that the Global Focus is a worthy C segment competitor when offered in N.A.

Regardless, for the global Focus fans in N.A. it looks as if you will be getting the global car sooner then expected , and for the fans of the current N.A car, enjoy.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:26 AM   #300
azdamay
Titular Wit Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubalicious View Post
Small point, the 01's through 04's had everything you need for the cabin air filter except the actual filter, so all you need to do is go down to autozone and get one.
The other things don't really detract from the driving pleasure of the car.
Yeah I put the filter in mine. I agree about the decontenting, the Focus here is positioned at a different price level than in Europe, so it wouldn't make sense to have things like automatic A/C anyway.

Bookmarks & Social Networks