Introducing the redesigned 2009 Ford Focus Coupe - Page 16 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-14-2008, 01:47 PM   #151
Brindfan
Infidel

Fan#: 48126
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus SE Hatch - Race Red

FF Reputation: 25 Brindfan Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
^^^Now that's a BIG inprovement!
Hatch Nation#61 B.T.T.C.#3 ATX Faction#37 Rocky Mtn. Crew#3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2008, 02:47 PM   #152
`02 killerbee
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 56017
What I Drive: 2002 yellow ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 `02 killerbee Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Why not this treatment on the sedan? I love my `02 ZX3, but I will be a dad soon. I can't see myself purchasing another two-door for the next twenty years.
Old 05-14-2008, 02:51 PM   #153
Arkaign
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 53519
What I Drive: 2008 Red Focus Coupe 5Spd

FF Reputation: 3 Arkaign Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ..:: sleestak ::.. View Post
sounds like they still don't care about performance. How about a little more oomph and handling? How about competing with the rest of the sport compact community?
The handling is great. If you remember the C&D comparo (which they arbitrarily place the Focus in last, lol), the Focus aced the handling, and was near the top of the heap in acceleration, all the while giving near the best fuel economy of the bunch.

A performance-tuned model would be very welcome indeed, but it's safe to say that the existing Focus already is more than a match for the non-SI Civic, the Corolla, the non-SS Cobalt, the non-SC Scion TC, and so on and so forth.

I've driven this stock '08 S Coupe to the limit, and it's a pretty impressive limit. There's a road with sweeps and some hard long curves, and I was able to put down the same speeds as a buddy with an '06 Z4. Just a hint of oversteer at the limit of grip as the rear starts slipping, but that just makes it easy to make corrections. The balance is incredible, particularly for a cheap car.
Old 05-14-2008, 02:52 PM   #154
burger
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 46647
What I Drive: 2001,Silver, se ztech

FF Reputation: 1 burger Good Standing Member
Looked at the pics a few times, starting to grow on me!!
Old 05-14-2008, 03:56 PM   #155
DrkKnight614
GO Green

Fan#: 14522
What I Drive: 2003 2.0L Grabber Green Zx3

FF Reputation: 47 DrkKnight614 Great Standing Member
Yes we would all like more performance, but gas prices just hit 4 dollars a gallon, and Ford is thinking about economy for their little focus right now, not more power. I'm actually really surprised they increased the power for the 09 coupe while still achieving the same gas mileage. But I'll say it again, fact of the matter is someone at Ford is now listening to us and trying to do whatever they can.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:05 PM   #156
dubalicious
Focus Addict

Fan#: 33589
What I Drive: 2004 SVT Focus, I call her Vera.

FF Reputation: 2 dubalicious Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkaign View Post
The handling is great. If you remember the C&D comparo (which they arbitrarily place the Focus in last, lol), the Focus aced the handling, and was near the top of the heap in acceleration, all the while giving near the best fuel economy of the bunch.

A performance-tuned model would be very welcome indeed, but it's safe to say that the existing Focus already is more than a match for the non-SI Civic, the Corolla, the non-SS Cobalt, the non-SC Scion TC, and so on and so forth.

I've driven this stock '08 S Coupe to the limit, and it's a pretty impressive limit. There's a road with sweeps and some hard long curves, and I was able to put down the same speeds as a buddy with an '06 Z4. Just a hint of oversteer at the limit of grip as the rear starts slipping, but that just makes it easy to make corrections. The balance is incredible, particularly for a cheap car.
They did not arbitrarily place it in last, they explained their process.
Here is a great article that compares the handling of 2002 ZX-3 to an 08 coupe.

I love the article because it talks about how Ford tuned the car and who overall was in charge of getting the original Focus right.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:46 PM   #157
Arkaign
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubalicious View Post
They did not arbitrarily place it in last, they explained their process.
Here is a great article that compares the handling of 2002 ZX-3 to an 08 coupe.

I love the article because it talks about how Ford tuned the car and who overall was in charge of getting the original Focus right.
Slamming a car for almost purely subjective (didn't like the seats, didn't like the styling) is arbitrary. I don't mind someone not liking it, but to rank it last in a fuel economy comparo is arbitrary to say the least.

Fuel economy : near the best.
Handling : best of the pack.
Acceleration : near the best.
Braking : BAD
Noise : one of the quietest
Price : very affordable compared to most (they didn't take any rebates/incentives into consideration)
Styling : subjective

To slam the Focus, then select the most expensive car with the worst fuel economy (not to mention VW reliability) as the best in an article subtitled 'the quest for a 35mpg car' or something to that effect is stupid beyond belief.

Btw, I don't see the article you're talking about.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:49 PM   #158
WUGcatsvt
Obama Can't Gymkhana

Fan#: 36697
What I Drive: 02 SVT, 86 BMW E30, 10 VW GTI

FF Reputation: 62 WUGcatsvt Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (18)
WOW.. No chrome is coolio... this thread has exploded..!
gumpcrew#10
Gulf Coast Region #12 - Me-45 DSP
My Girl-451 DSPL
Old 05-14-2008, 04:52 PM   #159
Arkaign
Focus Enthusiast

Ah, here's a review that talks about it :

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...cus/index.html

"The new Focus is a two-body (coupe or sedan), three-trim-level bottom-feeder that has swapped precocious charm for grown-up deportment. Regrettably, Ford's cute child grew into a homely adult. But, after escaping Seattle's rush-hour crunch, we did find the refurbished Focus surprisingly quiet and smooth-riding. Cheesy upholstery has been upgraded with a nicer cut of cloth or optional leather that doesn't look like it was recycled. The interior trim fits properly and is finished with attractive textures and gloss levels.

The driving report is a mix of good and bad. Last year's 2.3-liter four-cylinder is gone, leaving the 140-hp, DOHC 2.0-liter to soldier on. Spurred on by cooling-system and air-intake improvements, this engine charges to its 6500-rpm redline with willful abandon, hungry for another thousand revs. Unless you're suffering withdrawal anxiety from your last car-rental experience, forget about the four-speed automatic and go with the five-speed manual to reap both a 2-mpg bonus on the highway and snippets of fun-to-drive joy.

Pressed hard, the new Focus reveals this secret: the stiff unibody, shrewd suspension geometry, linear steering response, and honest limit behavior baked into this car at birth are still here, waiting for an aggressive driver to uncork the bottle so that the genie can come out to play."
Old 05-14-2008, 04:55 PM   #160
Arkaign
Focus Enthusiast

And another one, even better :

http://www.speedsportlife.com/2007/1...silver-lining/

"Ford appears to have finally cracked the code of creating decent interiors. Forget the Corolla or Sentra; this interior would have been a solid improvement to the first-generation Infiniti G35."

"Unhappily, however, the 2.0 Duratec engine, although it is six horsepower up on the ‘07 version, simply doesn’t have the pull of the old 2.3. Coupled to the four-speed automatic, it occasionally struggles to climb hills, with acceleration best described as “adequate”. With the five-speed manual, however, it’s a bit more than adequate, making a classic twin-cam sound and running freely to redline."

"At some point during the drive around the twisty, steep roads surrounding Snoqualmie Falls in Washington state, it hit us: Ford didn’t phone this revamp in. Through the fast sweepers, the Pirelli-shod SES Coupe proved to be a capable dance partner. Grip was stout and the steering is as communicative as ever – perhaps more so. The nose tucks in with a whisper of left-foot braking, same as it does in the Spec Focus racer. When the front end does break away, it’s predictable and easy to gather back up. The Focus simply can’t keep up with more-expensive sporting compacts like the Civic Si and Volkswagen GTI, but it’s an issue of power, not of handling."

Bookmarks & Social Networks