2008 Focus... Syntec oil change 7000 mi service on my own - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-08-2008, 08:18 PM   #1
intel
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 52419
What I Drive: 2008 Ford Focus (US) Black

FF Reputation: 1 intel Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2008 Focus... Syntec oil change 7000 mi service on my own

I have the Oil filter, 5 Quarts of 100% Syntectic oil and the tools needed for the oil change.

I also got a fuel additive for the injectors.

Do I need the entire 5 Quarts after I put the new filter on? or the 2008 Focus only needs 4? 10W-20.

Manual tranny. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2008, 08:24 PM   #2
focusin
FF Cleaning Squad

Fan#: 4322
What I Drive: All Focus' sold

FF Reputation: 63 focusin Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
Drain the oil, pull off the filter put the new filter on and drain plug back in and put only 4.5 qts of oil in it.

Thats all there is to it, although the recommended weight is 5-20 I know using TOO thick of an oil in the focus will starve the head from oil so I'd wait for others to chime in to make sure 10-20 is OK
GumpCrew #1 (dismantled)
Old 05-08-2008, 08:29 PM   #3
intel
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 52419
What I Drive: 2008 Ford Focus (US) Black

FF Reputation: 1 intel Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by focusin View Post
Drain the oil, pull off the filter put the new filter on and drain plug back in and put only 4.5 qts of oil in it.

Thats all there is to it, although the recommended weight is 5-20 I know using TOO thick of an oil in the focus will starve the head from oil so I'd wait for others to chime in to make sure 10-20 is OK
Thanks for the tips

If anyone else has suggestions of what else I should do besides the oil change please chime in. I did not notice any parts that need lubricant (like my old 1987 Toyota had joints that needed grease from once in a while).
Old 05-08-2008, 08:32 PM   #4
faster_than_u
anti svt

Fan#: 41017
What I Drive: focus

FF Reputation: 12 faster_than_u Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
if you have an 08 then why dont you get the dealer to do it
ZC#200
Old 05-08-2008, 08:35 PM   #5
jetrinka
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 45622
What I Drive: 88 5-speed XR4TI

FF Reputation: 180 jetrinka Excellent Standing Memberjetrinka Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
I would definately stick to a 5w oil instead of the 10w. The oil needs to flow well when the motor is cold and a 10 might not do the job well enough on start up. Most people here that own a duratec are running either 5w20 or 5w30. I would stick to those two.

And honestly with only 7000 miles you really don't need to add the injector cleaner. Most people add an injector cleaner one tank before they change the fuel filter as sometimes the injector cleaner can loosen gunk in the fuel system which can clog the fuel filter. With 7000 miles I doubt you have any gunk to loosen but probably have nothing in the injectors or fuel system to get rid of anyway. I would save it and add it before you change the fuel filter at 15k or so. I believe that is when Ford says to replace it now. Not sure though.

I would also rotate the tires.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:08 AM   #6
Sid03SVT
Focus Addict

Fan#: 39759
What I Drive: 02 Explorer 4.6L, 02 CBR600 F4i

FF Reputation: 8 Sid03SVT Good Standing Member
I agree with all above posts (proper oil weight, don't use injector/fuel system cleaner yet etc.) You have an 08; I assume if you were to open the glove box and look inside there would be a little book in there with all kinds of information about your car; from recommended service intervals to what fluids & parts to use, how much of them you should use etc. etc.... that stated, I'm glad you are doing your own oil change and that you came here to ask questions, but really there is a manual in there for a reason...
1.) make sure you have the right stuff (correct oil filter, and 4.5 quarts of 5w-20 or 4.5quarts of 5w-30, consult your manual for correct amount and weight)
2.) drive the car up on ramps, or jack the front of the car up and put it on jack stands
3.) block the rear tires
4.) loosen drain plug
5.) put oil catch pan under drain plug
6.) remove drain plug
7.) when draining is complete, reinstall drain plug
8.) move oil catch pan under filter
9.) remove filter, make sure old gasket came off with filter
10.) lubricate new gasket with three drops of old oil from old filter (usually I rub my index finger in the oil from the old filter then run it around the new gasket)
11.) install new filter, hand tighten only
12.) pour 4.5 quarts into engine
13.) let car sit while you collect your tools and catch pan and old filter, make sure all items are away from under the car
14.) record the mileage and date you did the oil change (consult your manual as to how often you should change it, i believe its 5kmiles or 3months still, but i havent looked at a new manual... wait arent the new ones every 7,500miles? check your manual!!!)
15.) unblock rear wheels, lower car/start it up and back it off ramps
16.) park the car over a pice of cardbaord and check it a little later to make sure you did everything right
17.) check your oil every 2 weeks via the dipstick (theres something about that in the manual as well)
don't know how? click on the number next to "FF Reputation" and add a comment

Last edited by Sid03SVT; 05-09-2008 at 07:09 AM. Reason: messed up my numbering
Old 05-09-2008, 01:52 PM   #7
Archion
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 53720
What I Drive: 08 VB SES 2d/99 Mustang/86 F150

FF Reputation: 6 Archion Good Standing Member
Yup, new ones are 7500 miles, and yes use the correct oil. My dealer gave me four free oil change coupons, still changed it myself the first time. I'm kinda funny that way...
Old 05-09-2008, 01:57 PM   #8
Arkaign
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 53519
What I Drive: 2008 Red Focus Coupe 5Spd

FF Reputation: 3 Arkaign Good Standing Member
I replaced my oil at 3,000 miles on my '08, just because I wanted the extra peace of mind to make sure the internal wearing stays clean (more bits of metal are sheared/shaved off the moving/friction bits during break-in than any other time). Yes the oil filter should normally take care of most of that, but I just like to take extra good care of my cars.

I chose Mobil SuperSyn 5-20 full syn, would have gone with Amsoil or another paraffin if it were more easily available. I *must* say, the motor runs a LOT quieter now than it did with the stock Ford Motorcraft oil in it. Even with 4 miles on the clock, the motor was a ticky thing, not very smooth to listen to. Now I can't even hear it at idle.
Old 05-09-2008, 02:00 PM   #9
theWorst
Focus Addict

Fan#: 55690
What I Drive: 2008 Edge SEL

FF Reputation: 6 theWorst Good Standing Member
werd.

i haven't been under the car yet... what size drain plug is it? is there a crush washer?
Old 05-09-2008, 07:43 PM   #10
Archion
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 53720
What I Drive: 08 VB SES 2d/99 Mustang/86 F150

FF Reputation: 6 Archion Good Standing Member
umm, if I remember right, the plug was 13mm, and it has an embedded o-ring. Should be good for several changes.

Bookmarks & Social Networks