HOW-TO: Fix an air vent with broken clips (2005-2007) - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades

MK1 Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about performance gauges, shifter knobs, custom interior paint, car seats or any interior upgrades for the 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-04-2008, 09:16 PM   #1
T-V
Focus Addict

Fan#: 7690
What I Drive: '07 SES 3-Door - Pitch Black

FF Reputation: 23 T-V Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Exclamation HOW-TO: Fix an air vent with broken clips (2005-2007)

When you pop out the rightmost vent to paint it (2005-2007), there is a good chance that the bottom two clips that hold the trim to the dash are going to break off due to the cheaper plastics Ford started using. Because of this, when you pop your vent back in, it will be attached on the top, but the bottom will move around and come out of the dash like it's on a hinge.

I came up with a fix for this if you run into this issue, once again proving my theory that duct tape can fix most any problem.

When the entire vent assembly is out of the dash, take a look at the bottom of the assembly and follow these instructions, created brilliantly in MS Paint:

Use about 6-7 layers of duct tape. Any amount is fine as long as it doesn't come out from behind the vent trim. I did this trick with my dash and my vent has been securely in place ever since. Probably more securely than it was with those cheap ass clips.

Hope this helps someone out!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2008, 09:27 PM   #2
Midnight_DevilX
Focus Addict

Fan#: 49278
What I Drive: 2007 Pitch Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 3 Midnight_DevilX Good Standing Member
too late for me! lol, although I just took the bottom off to put them back in, it was a PITA to get the actual air conditioner tubing back in!!
Old 05-04-2008, 11:37 PM   #3
FocusedEnergy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 48574
What I Drive: 2006 Liquid Gray ZX4SE

FF Reputation: 3 FocusedEnergy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Nice idea, I'm just worried what would happen to it when exposed to long instances of heat (Summer sun). But, since it's out of sight, I suppose it wouldn't matter.
SEDAN REVOLUTION #51
The tighter the budget, the slower the mod progress. Estimated completion date: September 2057
Old 05-06-2008, 07:33 AM   #4
scrammer
Banned

Fan#: 26570
What I Drive: February 2010 ROTM

FF Reputation: 172 scrammer Excellent Standing Member scrammer Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (29)
oh no, more duct tape?
whatever works, but i suggest using a plastic/cold weld or epoxy rather than that evil silver tape.
its funny that i knew you were from a southern state before i looked beneath your avatar. you alabama boys really like this stuff eh? lol, im j/k here bro. if it works that is all that matters.

do i really have to sticky something that involves using duct tape?
Old 05-07-2008, 07:21 PM   #5
T-V
Focus Addict

Fan#: 7690
What I Drive: '07 SES 3-Door - Pitch Black

FF Reputation: 23 T-V Great Standing Member
lol, I tried adhesives, but the problem is that the vent doesn't make contact with the dash when the clips are broken. You can't get it to seal because those clips are just floating in those gaps, and the actual trim doesn't touch the dash either. So this never worked.

Duct tape thickened these clips on the vent trim enough so that they would actually hold it in place in the openings they were to pass through. You can't see it at all, and the vent trim stays in place like new. Also, if you still wanted to pop it out again, it would be a whole lot easier to do than if you used epoxy.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:18 AM   #6
kempd002
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 80421
What I Drive: 2006 silver ford focus

FF Reputation: 1 kempd002 Good Standing Member
vent control

Hello, I am trying to replace the vent control. I need to take of the dash board(need to know how to do that).The clip that connects to the vent control behind the knob broke so i can't put it on defrost. How do i fix or replace,can some one help. I have a 2006 ford focus.

Last edited by kempd002; 11-12-2010 at 11:19 AM. Reason: need to put more words

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.