[How To] Removing a broken bolt. - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-04-2008, 05:49 PM   #1
Algorhythm

Fan#: 20623
What I Drive: 2005 ZX3, 2004 Kawasaki ZX6R 636

FF Reputation: 105 Algorhythm Excellent Standing Member Algorhythm Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
[How To] Removing a broken bolt.

Removing a broken bolt.

Working time needed: 10 minutes

Materials needed:
  • Drill
  • Screw extractor set
  • Proper drill bit(s)
  • Hammer
  • Patience
Note! This was done on my 1986 Honda CB450SC Nighthawk! Obviously, it is not a car, and it will be a different situation for everyone! I figured some people might not know how to do this, so I wrote up a quick little how-to. Be sure to take your time and not mess up!

First, a picture of the damage.

Removing the broken bolt:

Prepare your tools and lay out your workspace. This is going to take a lot of patience so you do not want to toss everything around to look for your desired tool.

First, grab your screw extractor kit and locate the required drill bit size for the screw extractor that you need. Mine was 7/64", yours will be different.

Now, put the drill bit in the chuck and start drilling SLOWLY. I had to do it extra slowly since I did not want any metal filings in my crankcase.

Once you get a good depth inside the broken bolt, retract the drill and locate your screw extractor set.

Line up the screw extractor in the hole you just drilled and begin hammering lightly, gradually hammering harder until the screw extractor becomes lodged inside the drilled hole. Be sure not to hammer too hard!

Take your wrench and start turning counter-clockwise to loosen the broken bolt.

Remove the perpetrator and bask in the glory of your power tool.

Hope you liked the how to. Any questions can be posted in this thread. Since I took the time to write this, I would appreciate some . Thank you!

MY OTHER HOW TOs:

Painting your side mirror caps
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119311

Painting your rear hatch strip
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=154432

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2008, 06:01 PM   #2
bcvali
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 50246
What I Drive: 2003 CD-Silver ZX-5 SVT

FF Reputation: 1 bcvali Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
useful info!
Old 05-04-2008, 06:23 PM   #3
S2
Retired Fanatic

Fan#: 4939
What I Drive: Camaro 2SS/RS

FF Reputation: 67 S2 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (20)
Added to the HOW TO ARCHIVE.......
Old 10-07-2010, 11:17 PM   #4
hockeyfreek42
Focus Addict

Fan#: 53956
What I Drive: new 2014 ST!!. 2002 blacked out zx3

FF Reputation: 3 hockeyfreek42 Good Standing Member
i had to do this changing my coil out

i got that same bNd extractor set but i stillk couldent get the rusted screw out so i used the extractor inside the dril and then broke it :(
so i used the next size extractor and started over and finally got it out

then i went back to hompdepot returned the broken one and exchanged it for a new set :)

2008 Car Show Places: 1st[bootyshak
Old 10-08-2010, 10:33 PM   #5
ucyifly
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 77836
What I Drive: 2007 Screaming Yellow ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 ucyifly Good Standing Member
Just make sure you take your time and do this very carefully. I have always heard that an E-Z Out/Extractor/whatever you want to call them CANNOT be drilled, meaning you wouldn't be able to remove anything if it breaks. Fortunately I have never broken my E-Z Outs when extracting broken bolts to find out if this is true or not. Just take your time and do it right the first time and it won't matter.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:06 PM   #6
metrognome
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 112081
What I Drive: 2007 Silver ZX3 SE

FF Reputation: 5 metrognome Good Standing Member
Just an FYI..many people don't know about left handed drill bits for removing broken bolts. I have sets of several type of removers but always go with the LH drills first. 75-80 % of the time that works. So here's a youtube video showing the procedure:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYvaPbX1sT4
Old 07-31-2013, 05:40 PM   #7
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

Points 2,842, Level 32
Points: 2,842, Level: 32 Points: 2,842, Level: 32 Points: 2,842, Level: 32
Level Up 62% Completed
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Forum Activity 81%
Activity: 81% Activity: 81% Activity: 81%
FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
AND, the entire pictured post is flawed as h-ll. Totally goofy way to do it. Shows guy drilling with cover on like he doesn't want to remove it, then he removes it later, so why not drill later with more open space to see things clearly? Worse yet, he could've easily removed the entire cam cap to drill it out on bench and no trash in engine AT ALL. Not smart at all there...........the post was at least invitation to further damage like blown motor and incompetent.

Bookmarks & Social Networks