Do I need H (halogen) or HID bulbs for these? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Focus

MK1 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the first generation 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-04-2008, 02:22 PM   #1
nacnudv8
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 52725
What I Drive: former owner:Pitch Black '03 SVT 3D

FF Reputation: 7 nacnudv8 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Do I need H (halogen) or HID bulbs for these?

I got these lights from Germany (EuropeanParts.com) and they came with NO information!!

I habe no idea what I am supposed to get to make them work. These lights are dual halo with a projector and the turn signal inside the unit.

On the back it has the following stamped into the plastic "W5W" - the turn light I assume; "H7 12v 55W" - the hi-beam I assume and on the back of the projector housing it has "D2S - 35W" - Now what is this?? Is this a HID bulb? Have I bought a HID unit for the car? No ballast or anyother part is visable.

Could it be that the projector is able to use an HID bulb but it takes a Halogen as standard?

I am Sooooo confused about lighting and bulb types etc!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2008, 05:00 PM   #2
cbrenn71
Focus Addict

Fan#: 30613
What I Drive: 2003 Black ZX3, 2000 Dodge Durango

FF Reputation: 5 cbrenn71 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (21)
That is a D2S bulb projector setup. You need the HID bulb and ballast kit. The W5W looks to be for a small amber parking/signal marker bulb, and the H7 55W sounds like a halogen bulb, but you can also run an HID bulb in there was well.

Let me know if you want to purchase a kit for the D2S, as you will definately need it to run those headlamps. A front picture would help determine if you need a H7 kit, but at this time i'm saying it's not an absolute necessity.

PM me if you are interested in one of our lifetime warranty HID kits. They are on sale currently for 225 shipped.
Old 05-04-2008, 05:12 PM   #3
nacnudv8
Focus Enthusiast

Here is a link to the front of the unit. I can send u a pic of mine at home if this is not the right view angle for you. http://www.european-parts.net/catalo...roducts_id=496

I'll Pm you too.
Old 05-04-2008, 08:52 PM   #4
cbrenn71
Focus Addict

yep, that is a projector in the front, so you definately need to run an HID bulb in that housing section. the other bulb can be upgraded to HID, but is not necessary, although, i would recommend it if you want the most performance.
Old 05-05-2008, 07:53 AM   #5
nacnudv8
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrenn71 View Post
yep, that is a projector in the front, so you definately need to run an HID bulb in that housing section. the other bulb can be upgraded to HID, but is not necessary, although, i would recommend it if you want the most performance.
Look at the response I got from European-parts.net - this really confuses me in light of what you have said. arrrgh!

..... HID bulbs are not allowed in this kit.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
best regards

Sascha Mayer

European-Parts
Inh. "Sascha Mayer e.Kfm." HRA 9143 AG DU
Email: info@european-parts.net
Web: www.european-parts.net
Phone: +49 (0) 208 3048051

Now the unit CLEARLY states D2S 35W on the back which if I am not mistaken is only HID technology bulb? Or can a halogen be run in that slot.

Either way the comment "... HID bulbs are not allowed in this kit." seems wrong. Maybe in europe they are not permitted to retro-fit - although if the unit's projector is made for them then why not?

Well - I think I will ask them again if they are really sure about this
Old 05-05-2008, 12:53 PM   #6
cbrenn71
Focus Addict

that is a projector housing, and looking at the picture of the headight from the front, it is definately the projector unit. The rear of the housing is also intended for the connection to a D2S bulb.

I do not know of any halogen bulbs that will fit in the HID projector housing.

You NEED an HID bulb set up in the D2S portion of the lens.

I dont know why they would tell you it wasn't an HID bulb, unless they are unaware of the actual product they sold you (one style vs. another) - they may be confusing them.
Old 05-05-2008, 01:01 PM   #7
nacnudv8
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrenn71 View Post
that is a projector housing, and looking at the picture of the headight from the front, it is definately the projector unit. The rear of the housing is also intended for the connection to a D2S bulb.

I do not know of any halogen bulbs that will fit in the HID projector housing.

You NEED an HID bulb set up in the D2S portion of the lens.

I dont know why they would tell you it wasn't an HID bulb, unless they are unaware of the actual product they sold you (one style vs. another) - they may be confusing them.
They came back after I questioned them and stated that: "You may put it in but connection problems will be on your end. I usually don’t recommend this because with the projectors, halogen is fine and not allowed in europe to put in xenons.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

best regards

Sascha Mayer"

So in conclusion, I think you may be right - perhaps the unit has changed - or they are selling on something that has a different projector housing than they thought.

I will PM you about my purhases I need to make! - This has turned out to be a VERY expensive set of aftermarket lights - almost the same price OEM SVT HIDs!
Old 05-05-2008, 01:38 PM   #8
cbrenn71
Focus Addict

i look forward to hearing from you.

headlight upgrades can get expensive i can tell you first hand. but, you are most always better off in the end.

They mention connection problems.

I am not aware of what problems you would have, but then again i am not familiar with the wiring on that vehicle. I can tell you that our kits will plug directly into the HID housing, and into the factory wire connection. I cannot speak of any other wiring you may have to do to halogen bulbs etc in order to get those housings hooking into the OEM connection.
Old 05-05-2008, 01:40 PM   #9
SL8RZZX3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 7457
What I Drive: 10 v6 Stang, 02 PWSC'd ZX3, 00 zx3

FF Reputation: 4 SL8RZZX3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
I would try an H7 bulb.... The hella dual projectors used to be H7's for the euro spec ones and they were upgradable to HID

I can't quite tell in your picture where the low beam bulb gets it power from.... is it that black piece off to the right?

Or i'd just send them back since they are incomplete.... and get the Hella Light curve ones that have the lights that turn as you turn like the Jetta/Golf have
Old 05-07-2008, 11:34 AM   #10
nacnudv8
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL8RZZX3 View Post
I would try an H7 bulb.... The hella dual projectors used to be H7's for the euro spec ones and they were upgradable to HID

I can't quite tell in your picture where the low beam bulb gets it power from.... is it that black piece off to the right?

Or i'd just send them back since they are incomplete.... and get the Hella Light curve ones that have the lights that turn as you turn like the Jetta/Golf have
The black connector to the right plugs into the H7 (hi beam bulb) and the low beam (projector) gets its power from the (hidden) connector on the end of the balck and yellow pair of wires on the bottom / under the unit.

The new Hella ones sound good - more expensive I imagine?

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->