Buying dedicated autocross wheels, what size? - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Autocross Racing

Autocross Racing The place to discuss information about autocross stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-02-2008, 11:40 AM   #11
wrc_fan
slow

Fan#: 11913
What I Drive: 03 ZX3 Duratec 08 WRX Hatch

FF Reputation: 23 wrc_fan Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto-X-ZTS View Post
It would appear that the fastest "Focus-friendly" tire would be the the Z1 in a 215/40-17. I'd strongly suggest finding 7.5" wheels for ideal fit...this is a wide 215--over 8.125" on a 7.5 wheel.

The 215/45-16 Falken is an old stand-by, but will give up some to the newer tires.
I think either the Z1 setup or the Falken set up will be the way to go, guess its time to do some wheel shopping. Thanks guys.

In the meantime I'll continue to beat up on my BF Goodrich's on the stock wheels.

"Hella Functional - Raced, Not Hard Parked"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2008, 11:45 AM   #12
wrc_fan
slow

Eventerke, what club do you autox in NC with? Or do you do mostly track stuff?

I am trying to do both the SCR and CCR region's SCCA autox series this year.

Old 05-02-2008, 12:25 PM   #13
eventerke
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 41299
What I Drive: 2002 Pitch Black SVT

FF Reputation: 3 eventerke Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrc_fan View Post
Eventerke, what club do you autox in NC with? Or do you do mostly track stuff?

I am trying to do both the SCR and CCR region's SCCA autox series this year.

Tarheel - I'm running up at Danville, VA this weekend. I should update that season thread I started! I might try to hit a CCR event sometime.

I'm holding off on track stuff until CMP in June. Myself and some buddies are planning to run the 24hrs of LeMons there in July.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:43 PM   #14
wrc_fan
slow

Cool, I'll keep an eye out for you at the CCR events this summer. It looks like all of the weekend ones (except one) are going to be at continental tire in Charlotte. Most of the Tarheel stuff is a bit of a drive from Greenville, I think I'll be sticking with SCR and CCR regions for now.

I just got into autox this year, so I don't see myself doing track stuff in the short term. Maybe in the future though.

Old 06-23-2008, 11:55 AM   #15
wrc_fan
slow

OK, reviving the old thread...

So I picked up the Rota Slipstream in 15x7.5 and running Hankook Ventus in a 225 50 15. I autocrossed them at yesterdays CCR SCCA event. Once the mold release was scrubbed off, they definitely had a lot of grip. Night and day compared to my old tires and wheels. I am rubbing the front struts a bit. I think some spacers might by in my future for the front wheels.

Other than that, its time to get a real pressure gage and start dialing these tires in. I may actually be more competitive in STS now.

Old 06-23-2008, 02:17 PM   #16
kimbo305
Focus Addict

Fan#: 52390
What I Drive: '00 Zetec ZX3

FF Reputation: 12 kimbo305 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
So I picked up the Rota Slipstream in 15x7.5 and running Hankook Ventus in a 225 50 15. I autocrossed them at yesterdays CCR SCCA event. Once the mold release was scrubbed off, they definitely had a lot of grip. Night and day compared to my old tires and wheels. I am rubbing the front struts a bit. I think some spacers might by in my future for the front wheels.
How did the braking force/feel improve? This is something that I really missed out on with my 3 season street tires.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:01 PM   #17
Juantron
Focus Addict

Fan#: 56983
What I Drive: '03 SVT-5

FF Reputation: 3 Juantron Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
Quote:
OK, reviving the old thread...

Other than that, its time to get a real pressure gage and start dialing these tires in. I may actually be more competitive in STS now.
Those are the exact same wheels I was looking at getting, and the same tire size. Keep us updated as you dial those thangs in.

- John
Old 06-24-2008, 07:57 AM   #18
wrc_fan
slow

Well some feedback on the wheels. First off I ordered the wrong offset, I ordered a 45 offset, should have went with 40. I had to grind a bit off of the rear trailing arm to get these to fit on the rear. And as I said, I'm rubbing (tires) on the front struts pretty good. I am trying to decide if I should go with a 5 or 15mm spacer for the front wheels.

Big improvement on the tires over the old tires, I was running BF Goodrich Gforce Sport, which really lost grip as the tires wore. They also had very flimsy sidewalls, I was rolling them with 45 psi front. I ran 38 psi (cold) on sunday in the front, with the new tires, and didn't roll much at all. Braking was much better too, less tread squirm, no locked up front tires.

Once I wear out the new 'kooks, I think I'll graduate to FSP and run a R-comp in 225 45 15, should give me better gearing.

Old 07-18-2008, 07:54 AM   #19
wrc_fan
slow

Another update on this tire combo, used them at the SCR SCCA autox in Charleston, SC this past weekend. In addition to the new wheels/tires I bought a real tire pressure gage. I start off with 40psi F, 36 rear which felt like it was understeering a little too much. I knocked down the rear a psi, and the car felt better. My third run the pressures were 41.5 front and 35 rear. The car felt pretty good here, almost neutral. Throttle off it started to rotate, apply throttle and it straightened right up. Ran by Best time of the day here.

After the official autox was done, there was a chance for some fun runs, so I jumped on that. I hadn't adjusted the pressures before the fun runs and went with whatever they were cold (41 F/ 35 R hot) Turned my best unofficial time that was 0.7s faster!

So, there's another event this Sunday, I plan on running 38F/ 33R cold, and seeing where that gets me. Bottom line, these tires have a ton of grip compared to my old ones, and don't have an issue with rolling.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:47 AM   #20
wrc_fan
slow

OK, bumping my own thread, but here's an update on this tire wheel combination. Bumped into a guy from highlands sports car club, who ran identical tires on his SVT, and was in fact running them on a '92 civic at the event yesterday.

He asked me what pressures I was running, 37 front/33 Rear I told him. He looks at me and tells me its way to high. I was a skeptic at first, but I dropped pressure through-out the day. My best run ended up where the tires were 32 front/27 rear, hot. I am sure I can go even a bit lower than this, I think I'm limited by the lack of negative camber in the front though.

I've got three weeks until a CCR SCCA 24 hour event, this should give me a lot of runs to really dial in the pressure. And then I'll need to save up for some LCR camber plates.

Bookmarks & Social Networks