Heater Blower Motor-2002 SE Wagon - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-28-2008, 11:54 PM   #1
Bo T
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 46515
What I Drive: 2002 white SE wagon

FF Reputation: 1 Bo T Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Heater Blower Motor-2002 SE Wagon

So My blower motor quit working. I've read the previous posts so I'm just double checking my course of action.
The AC works on all 4 blower speed settings and shuts off when I turn off the blower switch. The AC max switch works. My wife heard a loud clicking noise when she turned on the blower and AC a little over a week ago. When I checked it out the blower and AC a couple of days later it worked fine for me. A couple of days later the blower quit working. I've checked the 40 A blower fuse which is fine. Are there any other fuses that I should check?

Recently, I've been smelling a strange odor when I turned on the blower. It does not smell like antifreeze. More like the odor coming from the shore of a lake. I still smell the odor even though the blower is not working.

Now-I need to disconnect the battery and pull the resistor next to the blower motor and probably replace. Should I replace the AC switch?

I'm thinking that I should also pull the blower motor to check it out. How would I test it?

Assuming that I can get to them, how do I check out the cooling coils of the AC to see if they need to be cleaned? I'm thinking about misting with a lye solution and rinsing with a vinegar solution followed by a couple of rinses with deionized water. Is this OK?

Where is the condensation drain for the AC? I could run a nylon brush up into the tube and see if I get water or green crud.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Bo

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2008, 07:28 AM   #2
JRODSVT
Dragon Warrior

Fan#: 15362
What I Drive: 03 SVT ZX5

FF Reputation: 97 JRODSVT Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
lift the front of your car up and put it on jack stands and chck around fireal on the lower right hand side and look for the drain. I have never looked for it so i am not sure.

your cleaning procedure sounds very thorough. Lysol probably does not work as good but at least it would be a bit cheaper and less time consuming.

sorry I cannot offer more help.
o xxxxxxxxxxxx o
Old 04-29-2008, 08:05 AM   #3
illinipo
Token Engin-nerd

Fan#: 37693
What I Drive: dirty wag; Party; Bavarian phallus

FF Reputation: 272 illinipo Outstanding Standing Memberillinipo Outstanding Standing Memberillinipo Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (19)
i had a similar problem about 3 months ago in the dead of winter

yeah it sucked.

the problem was not with any switch nor any resistor pack... it was a connection on the blower itself. Long story short, since it is working intermittently, if i were you i would get my hands dirty and try to find that loose connection before I go replacing all kinds of parts.

it definitely helps to know how to read wiring diagrams and how to use an ohmmeter and to have a 12V power supply handy... i'd say the stuff I did to solve the problem was a 7 or 8 out of 10 difficulty... so I hope you know your stuff.

I'd love to help more but its one of those "you have to be there" type of things. just... drop the fan out and play with the wires while you have the key in the on position (but engine off) and the fan switch in the 1 position, and see if it switches on and off when you play with some of the wires. Be careful it will want to jump out of your hand if you are holding it

Not on this list? Almost certainly crap.
SUV this!
Old 03-14-2011, 12:59 PM   #4
DaveLivingston
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 83967
What I Drive: 2003 Silver ZTS

FF Reputation: 1 DaveLivingston Good Standing Member
Similar problem, maybe...

I'm having a similar problem with the GF's 2003 Focus. For awhile she reports that the blower would run only in position 2 and 3, not in 4 or OFF. Later, it would run in position 4 for a short while and then stop. Hmm.

I replaced the blower resister but can't get it to run at all now. Now, here's the funny thing. I tested the lead to the resistor and found that it threw out 12v in position 4, but it's position 0FF that has me flummoxed. That position seems to show a polarity reversal, meaning that the needle dips below zero when the switch is set to OFF.

Additionally, she's had some strange battery discharge issues. Sometimes the car battery will drain down for no reason that we can figure out. The battery checked out fine at the parts store.

Could a short in position 0FF of the blower switch cause the blower to go inop and for the battery to drain down to won't-start?

She's driving the car now with advice from me to leave the switch anywhere but OFF. Pretty confused.

Any help would be appreciated!

Dave
Old 06-08-2012, 03:58 PM   #5
vernster1964
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 99977
What I Drive: black 2000 ford focus se

FF Reputation: 1 vernster1964 Good Standing Member
2000 ford focus blower motor switch only works on high

my blower motor switch only works on high and the ac switch comes on at 123 but on four it goes off can you tell me whats the problme i already replaced the harnsh and the switch and anew blower motor whats is the problem please help me

Bookmarks & Social Networks