Pulling a trailer with a Focus....anyone? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-26-2008, 08:49 PM   #1
memphisguy2000
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 19671
What I Drive: 2001 Ford Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 memphisguy2000 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Pulling a trailer with a Focus....anyone?

Anyone pulling a trailer with their focus at all? If so what kind of set up have you done, what do I need to look for etc. Asking because my daughter's grandparents bought her a jetski and we want to pull it wit the focus (other cars we have we don't want to put a hitch on). The car is a 2001 SE.

Thanks in advance for your comments....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2008, 10:12 PM   #2
focusin
FF Cleaning Squad

Fan#: 4322
What I Drive: All Focus' sold

FF Reputation: 63 focusin Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
What other cars do you have b/c the focus is no where near what you want to tow with. Besides towing in a focus will surely put extra stress on the transmission/clutch that its not made for at all.

In other words towing will risk damage to your car, and also with no real frame on the focus I don't see a hitch mounting easily.
GumpCrew #1 (dismantled)
Old 04-26-2008, 10:31 PM   #3
MichaelJD1980
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 55223
What I Drive: 2013 Tux SE Black Pack 5MT

FF Reputation: 9 MichaelJD1980 Good Standing Member
You could put a hitch on it, but it will have to be a drawtite or similar. The manual should tell you how much you can tow with the Focus. Then, you just add the weight of the Jet Ski and the trailer and see if it is within the limit. Also, pay attention to the GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating). That is the max you can carry including passengers and cargo in the car. Basically, you may not be able to tow the jet ski and carry 4 people + luggage.

Towing will definitely put added strain on the drivetrain, but it can handle it up to the GVWR. If it's a manual trans, just be sure not to ride the clutch when starting in 1st from a stop.

Jet Skis are not very heavy at all. I would expect that the focus can handle it, but probably not much more.
Old 04-26-2008, 10:34 PM   #4
Klondike
GreyRice WOoT!

Fan#: 25991
What I Drive: GI, '07 zx3 LG

FF Reputation: 53 Klondike Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (26)
ive seen foci with hitches, so its possible, and seen a focus towing a small pull behind pop up camper, so the jetski should do alright, alho that focus was struggling pullin the camper lol
Velveeta Lover Shell#1
LOTH 00!
Old 04-27-2008, 04:08 AM   #5
FocusRacingAustrali
Focus Addict

Fan#: 45865
What I Drive: 2003 ZX4 & 2004 ZX5

FF Reputation: 6 FocusRacingAustrali Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
You can do it but, the max weight is 750kg or 1650 Pound.
I wouldn't tow a trailer with the Focus at all.
Even braking with a full load on the rear and front pads only would be hard to pull up.
Old 04-27-2008, 04:41 AM   #6
fhg959
SE HABLA ESPAŅOL

Fan#: 50640
What I Drive: 06 Big-Egg Rally

FF Reputation: 52 fhg959 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
I would say.... If you can avoid it, would be perfect. If you really want to tow with the fofo do it but just with extreme care. Don't push the car to hard. My .02
-Team Duratec #122 SoCal #0
278whp & 259 ft/lb @ 2688rpm of Pure N/A baby!!!
7.22 @ 89 mph 1/8 mile
10.68 @ 127 mph 1/4 mile

I'm a time taker and I just wasted your time
Old 04-27-2008, 04:44 AM   #7
memphisguy2000
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 19671
What I Drive: 2001 Ford Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 memphisguy2000 Good Standing Member
Thanks for the comments so far guys...but let me provide some insight so I don't seem like I'll be driving around recklessly and without a care for the car.

The hitch will go on this car and not one of my other ones because this is the car I use when we go up to the lake. we throw the dog, my daughter, and all our gear in and head to the lake with it to stay every weekend. The car is a driver with about 160,000 on it right now so the car owes me nothing and has been quite good to me. Basically the jetski will stay up at the lake in our driveway. The house is exactly 1/2 a mile from the boat ramp.

On a side note a buddy of mine had a 2000 and towed a seadoo jet boat with his.....it was a pisser seeing it come off the ramp with the boat on it with the tires spinning like mad
Old 04-27-2008, 08:29 AM   #8
blk_04_zx3_2.3
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 14976
What I Drive: 2004 ZTW

FF Reputation: 1 blk_04_zx3_2.3 Good Standing Member
Actually, the rating for the U.S. focus--at least my 2004--is 1000 lbs. I occasionally pull a small 4x8 trailer--it weighs about 250 lbs. dry. I've never had more than about 500 lbs. on it, but it pulls alright. Getting the weight distribution right is the most crucial part of towing with a small car.

I don't know why folks are so afraid to tow with a car. Load the thing properly and drive like a sane person who knows they have a trailer behind them, and you won't have any problems.

The hitch I have is from Hidden Hitch. There is no wiring adapter for the newer focuses--at least not for my 2004 w/2.3--you have to splice in to the tail light wiring behind the left rear panel (wagon). I found conflicting information on wire colors searching the net, so I just put the multimeter on it as I worked the turn signals, brakes and tail lights to find out what wire did what.

One tip--the trailer I have has a 2,000 lb. rated axle with nice big bearings and a five lug hub. Big, well lubed bearings and as tall a tire as you can fit will make towing life much more pleasant. I'm not a big fan of the Harbor freight fold-ups with the small Chinese bearings and 8" tires.
Don't have the ZX3 anymore--now it's an 04 ZTW 2.3 K&N intake, 2.5" Trubendz do-it-yourself kit with 4" Magnapak muffler. Xcal3 from Focus Sport. Lot's of dirt and no time to bother with it! Wagon--The Thinking Man's SUV.
Old 04-27-2008, 08:37 AM   #9
Klondike
GreyRice WOoT!

Fan#: 25991
What I Drive: GI, '07 zx3 LG

FF Reputation: 53 Klondike Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (26)
^lol that would be a site there
Velveeta Lover Shell#1
LOTH 00!
Old 04-27-2008, 11:51 AM   #10
Future SVT rider
Banned

Fan#: 35383
What I Drive: 2002 SVT-Piranha edition

FF Reputation: 17 Future SVT rider Great Standing Member
imagine a Focus pulling a mini mobile house.

that's too cute,your killing me lol

Bookmarks & Social Networks