Low Idle, Noise from throttle body - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-25-2008, 07:08 AM   #1
dutch777
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 55503
What I Drive: 2003 Focus

FF Reputation: 1 dutch777 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Low Idle, Noise from throttle body

Hi, could do with some help with my focus.

Its a 2003 1.6 focus and it has an idle problem it has covered 115k and has been well looked after. Its normal Idle is 750rpm but lately it sometimes misses it and wants to sit at 680rpm when coming to a stop it occasionally drops to about 300 and the bounces back up.

When the car is idling you can sometimes hear a popping noise coming from the throttle body itís quite loud.

Things that have been done in the last 2 months Full service, New Plugs, Leads, Coil, Idle Control Valve, Fuel Filter,Battery Alternator checked, mpg is really good.

Might have a slight misfire around 2200rpm but seems fine through the rest of the revs.

Any Ideas before I put it into Ford for a diagnostic.

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2008, 10:49 PM   #2
scrammer
Banned

Fan#: 26570
What I Drive: February 2010 ROTM

FF Reputation: 172 scrammer Excellent Standing Member scrammer Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (29)
id try to do a simple ECU reset. your idles are quite low. my car idles at 990 from the factory. and now im tuned at 960rpms.

disconnect the negative terminal for 15 mins and reconnect and see what happens. oh and you can check the battery with it still connected, so go ahead and do what i suggested.

and that loud noise from the throttlebody could be a backfire. this is very bad to have and indicates a misfire. since you have replaced most of the ignition components, i would try to inspect the wireharness that leads to the coilpack for cracks/fraying. some members here have had to repair the wires. the harness is a bit short and tight here.

btw, to FF.com!
Old 04-26-2008, 06:15 AM   #3
dutch777
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 55503
What I Drive: 2003 Focus

FF Reputation: 1 dutch777 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Hi Thanks for the reply,

Have already disconnected the battery to reset the ECU it didn't help and have also cleaned up all the earths.

The popping noise from the throttle body - if the car is idling at 750 and I put the heated screen on as soon as I press the button makes the throttle body POP and revs to drop does that still sound like a misfire ?

Had the Alternator Battery checked
Battery is 12.6v
Alternator at idle not under load 14.8v
Alternator at idle fully loaded 14.6v

A friend had a listen and said it sounds like the throttle body is sticking would that cause it to make popping noises.

Thanks Dutch

-----------------------------------------------

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.