My story of what has happened - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-25-2008, 04:13 AM   #1
joshfink
Focus Addict

Fan#: 50565
What I Drive: Black 2007 ford Focus

FF Reputation: 4 joshfink Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
My story of what has happened

Hey guys... I will post here my story of what has happened to me in the last week with my focus and why I may never buy another Ford again. I did originally post this at: http://www.fordcustomers.com/phpbb3/...ic.php?f=6&t=3 and I would encourage you all to post any bad experiences with Ford there... (yeah yeah its my site I am not trying to drive traffic really but I always liked these forums so I wanted to post what happened to me concerning my 2007 Focus) anyway heres the post I posted on my own web site.

Anyway, on April 18th, 2008 I picked up my 2007 Focus SES from a dealer in Albany, NY named Orange Motors. This is a dealership I used to like, don't get me wrong. I picked up my Focus after it had been in an accident and my insurance and myself covered the repair costs. A new driver's side fender, front bumper, radiator stuff, air intake box of some sort, etc...

I drive away thinking my car looks perfect. Well, its not. 3 hours later my car dies in traffic. Just shuts off. Thats odd. The battery is dead. They must have left something on in the car while they were working on it I thought. I have the car jumped after waiting almost 2 hours for Ford Roadside Assistance and I bring it on into Advance Auto. They diagnose the car as having a dead battery (made sense) AND a dead alternator. Now this did not. The alternator was checked out by Pepboys 3 weeks earlier when I had a new (larger) battery put in for the upcoming summer and next winter. I had them test the alternator and it worked perfectly.

So, I head on over to Orange Motors in Albany the next day (Saturday April 19th) after jumping the car in the morning of course. While sitting in line for the "Service center" to open, the car dies... No power, nothing. I thought this would be fine, they will fix it since they obviously missed that either a) they killed the alternator doing the work or b) they missed it.

I talk to the service tech. I walked in and waiting my turn and asked the guy to cover the alternator under their lifetime repair warranty since they obviously missed it, or under Ford's warranty. (the car had 45,000 miles, and Ford's shitty warranty only lasts until 36,000, wonderful eh?). So the guy tells me no way, no can do, cannot even take the car in until Monday or Tuesday. MONDAY OR TUESDAY?! I had JUST picked the damn thing up the night before and it was sitting there dead in the middle of the roadway between their parking lots. Wonderful. Of course I get pissed and walked out stating how much I think Ford sucks. And I do.

Anyway, so I have the damn car jumped AGAIN. This time it refuses to start for a few tries, and once the other battery is disconnected, the engine shuts off, so I need to sit there revving the engine at 3000 RPMs to make sure that the car stays on. I head over to PepBoys and tell them what is going on. They give me an estimate and before I have them work on the car I head back over to Orange Motors to speak to a Sales Manager who MIGHT see my phlight.

However, this was not to be. I went into the show room, tracked down a sales manager (or so he claimed to be) and I told him my story, and I ask him for Orange Motor's lifetime warranty and for his service department to take my car ASAP since they obviously missed it. No can do. However he does tell me, "If you had bought the fing car from me I would have had it fixed for free, but seeing as you did not, I won't." This coming from a dealership where I had spent nearly $15,000 in the last 5 years with various Fords I have owned. So right then and there I decided to make this site.

The story does NOT end there though. Obviously I needed my car, so I went back to PepBoys where I spent $517 on a new alternator. A Ford motorcraft one at that since that was the only one PepBoys could find in the area.

I started calling Ford on Monday April 21, 2008. I have since talked to 3 people in executive offices or their call centers. The response is always the same. Ford has no control over dealers, what they do, what they say or how they represent Ford. They simply did not care. I attempted to get Ford to reimburse me for the alternator. Nope, that was not done either because I had the work done at a "below quality third party business" as they put it. If Ford had done it, they would have given me the money for the part and labor. Nice. So because the service tech would not take my car, I would HAVE to suffer through 3 or 4 days of jumping the car and uncertainty on whether or not I could get to work? No. Thats why I went elsewhere. Ford did not care about this. they told me I could have driven the car to Saratoga to get it fixed at New Country—35 miles from where I was. The car would have died on the highway and I probably would have died along with it. No thanks.

So I have come to a conclusion that I mentioned earlier. Orange Motors Sucks, yes, but not only that, but I have a feeling that since they were busy doing work around the engine, radiator, and various other components under the hood that they killed my alternator. I blame them now, either through sheer negligence, or because they have absolutely NO IDEA what the hell they are doing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2008, 05:59 AM   #2
pat247
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 27781
What I Drive: Focus SVT

FF Reputation: 19 pat247 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
It sucks that your alternator died but shit happens. Just because you had the dealership do some work on your car does not obligate them to fix anything that goes wrong with it in the future. Normally the lifetime warranty that dealerships offer only cover the work they perform on your car. Granted, they could have been more helpful and squeezed you in to do the repairs since you have been a loyal customer. Maybe attitudes got in the way, who knows.
Old 04-25-2008, 06:32 AM   #3
focus_SWT
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 51264
What I Drive: 2000 FFV wagon

FF Reputation: 3 focus_SWT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
If your tire would have went flat, would you have expected that it was there fault? As pat said, they fixed what you asked, they can not predict the future. It happens, if it was under warranty then yes they should pat, but alt's go bad that is the way it is.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:29 AM   #4
Berol
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 49676
What I Drive: 2007 Cloud 9 ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Berol Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I understand your frustration, and how it would be almost impossible to get to another dealer.

However, your problem is a problem with a particular dealer, not Ford in general or their car(s). There is a difference between the two. All of your problems, both with customer service and the problems involving your car are because of a particular dealership, not a particular make of automobile.

Honda, Toyota, anybody can have a crappy dealer.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:34 AM   #5
tiger61378
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 54476
What I Drive: 2003 Red ZX3 Sport

FF Reputation: 3 tiger61378 Good Standing Member
The only thing that I find surprising is that Ford has no say in what their dealers do...I know that Chevy does have a say in it, which is why the local Chevy dealership no longer exists (the guy running it was a crook, and his techs were morons...so Chevy actually took away his franchise, and then took EVERY new Chevy on his lot away in about a weeks time). If a dealer is really that bad, they'll get their franchise revoked...

Still, a bad alternator is just one of those random things...and even if its good one day, they can still just "go bad" for no reason the next.
Hatchback Lover #53
Old 04-25-2008, 08:39 AM   #6
gukin
Focus Addict

Fan#: 12777
What I Drive: 2003 Orange SVTF

FF Reputation: 1 gukin Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Interesting facts:

1. For whatever reason our Focus' seem to have weak, frequently failing alternators.

2. Enterprise has really good rates on rent cars on weekends.

3. There are frequently other places to get your car fixed than a Stealership.

Still, I feel your pain and you frustration, the only thing worse than having a sick car is having a sick NEW car.

Did the alternator really cost $517? Gads, it had better be gold plated and install itself.
Old 04-26-2008, 06:25 PM   #7
number_twelve
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 49473
What I Drive: 2000 silver LX 5 Speed

FF Reputation: 4 number_twelve Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Assumptions and bad attitudes = no pity from those you're seeking help from. You know, if you approach people with genuine concern, and not attitude, they're more likely to help out. Also, service departments have the freedom to schedule work every day, and FILL their schedule. What about everybody else who had their cars scheduled for service? Should they have to wait longer so the dealership can attend to your beckoning call?? Again, had you approached them differently, the outcome may have been different. You know, this may sound like a crazy concept, but if you take the time and be friendly to others, you can network everywhere. Even the dealership. Tact my friend, tact. Learn the definition. Apply it. It could save you $500 or so dollars some day.

As for your efforts to let the world know that you're a helpless victim by starting a website, I won't even start. Better call the waaaaaambulance. And remember, the world revolves around the sun. Not anything else.
Old 04-26-2008, 06:55 PM   #8
Bambooburnr
Focus Addict

Fan#: 48682
What I Drive: 2007 Black SeS

FF Reputation: 4 Bambooburnr Good Standing Member
I got to only Team Ford Dealerships They are linked to corporate from what I understand. I went in for an oil change and tire rotate once they nicked my rim. The tech said it was there when I brought it in and they wouldnt Fix it. I called Ford Corporate and they forced the dealer to fix it.
Old 04-26-2008, 07:08 PM   #9
Wagamos
Stock

Fan#: 21396
What I Drive: 2001 Malibu Blue ZX3; 03 ZX3 PZEV

FF Reputation: 13 Wagamos Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Me thinks that ford should have ppl go around and check dealerships, if they pass the inspection, they can keep the ford logo, if not, fk you change the name.

Bookmarks & Social Networks