Klondike's Build Thread: - Page 8 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-24-2008, 10:30 PM   #71
SquillyB
4.9L SC Stroker !!!

Fan#: 45801
What I Drive: SC 5.0 FOFO BUILD IN PROGRESS

FF Reputation: 106 SquillyB Excellent Standing MemberSquillyB Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
The sheet of fiber cloth is a solid sheet so you are gonna want to cut it in half. Next start at the front about three inches in front of the speaker.

This is going to be our starting point for the fiber cloth. Change the blade if your using a knife before cutting the cloth.

Now give her a once over wrap to check fit.

BTW we replaced the ring under the cloth already, I forgot. Using the same method as the first time only with thicker CA glue.

Now back to the front seam. Lay down a bunch of little droplets of the glue as sort of a tac line. Once it starts to glaze over you can tap the cloth into place using a spare stand off or what not.

After the original bead seam has dried you can start working your way around the edges of the piece. I would suggest going from the front seam to the top of the mid driver ring and securing it there. I'll tell you why in a few just trust me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2008, 12:35 AM   #72
SquillyB
4.9L SC Stroker !!!

FF Reputation: 106 SquillyB Excellent Standing MemberSquillyB Excellent Standing Member
Notice the last pic. The front of the ring was not completely covered. By design. Once you work your way around you use your blade to cut to the inside of the seal and then you can glue the remaining area across the bottom of the ring closest to the pillar itself.

Put glue on the ring frist then let it dry a little and then attach the rest of the cloth to the area right in front of the rings.
Old 04-25-2008, 01:03 AM   #73
SquillyB
4.9L SC Stroker !!!

Now we can get dirty with some glass work.

I like to have a couple of zip strips laying around for poking the cloth/mat and stiring the mixes.

You need a tray or a bowl of some sort, a paint brush or two, some rez and some MEKP.

Pour the rez' in the mix bowl, and add mekp, get ready to stir and work quick. FYI make sure you have your gloves on.

I mix by eye as previously stated... for correct mixing go to the12volt.com for details.
Old 04-25-2008, 01:15 AM   #74
SquillyB
4.9L SC Stroker !!!

You'll notice the cloth getting clear or see through, that means its soaked all the way through the cloth and is now bonding in between the individual fibers.

Make sure to go all the way around the back edges of your work. Excess can be trimmed off later.

And now for some kitty fur...
I start with the area closest to the ring meeting the OG piece, in this case the c pillar. Add about a four inch by four inch piece while the cloth is tacky/wet. Use the tip of the brush to kind of dab it in place. Once a majority of it sticks to the cloth, I paint the fiber glass on around the edges working with bigger strokes towards the middle.Once that piece has been covered, keep going, work your way around all the stress areas, or what you think the weakest points of the enclosure would be.

I think it will be the mid driver because it is going to try and move alot. Notice the different color of the kitty fur going on, a tanish brown. Its because I mixed the second batch of rez' "hot" inother words there is less available work time. The color is because of the heat the mekp and rez make. At this point the piece is actually hot to the touch. Don't go to hot though, it causes cracking and warping in the final drying.

Old 04-25-2008, 02:11 AM   #75
SquillyB
4.9L SC Stroker !!!

In regards to mixing it too hot, I mean like this...

These are taken two minutes apart exactly...

Old 04-25-2008, 02:29 AM   #76
SquillyB
4.9L SC Stroker !!!

How hot you mix it changes the amount of time you have to work with it. So if alot of hardner is used (MEKP) then its hot. If its hot it dries fast (45 min) in the AZ sun. UV is a catalyst for the MEKP and speeds up the process. Too hot and you don't have enough time to paint it on. Too cold and it cures unevenly and causes cracking and weak spots.

Here is 10 minutes after originally mixing it up...

Its starting to melt the container...

Last edited by SquillyB; 04-25-2008 at 05:04 PM.
Old 04-25-2008, 02:33 AM   #77
SquillyB
4.9L SC Stroker !!!

The arrows you see here are to demonstrate which way the next piece of cloth will go on. There is a begining and an end to every piece, they are all precut from here out. The kitty fur will be added as I go to strengthen the enclosure and add a little more resonance to the enclosure.
After the outside is done, mix up a big batch of glass and pour it on the inside. This can be a little hot as you are going to have to keep moving it around in there until it starts to cure, then you have to really move it around quickly.
Old 04-25-2008, 02:37 AM   #78
SquillyB
4.9L SC Stroker !!!

Also, I am going to put a thin layer of deadening in between the inside layers. It will help with the tone the enclosure is capable of producing acurately, giving it a wider range.

What you guys never dynamat in between the layers of glass? Its kinda my own thing, no one else I know does it, unless I show them why I do it.
Old 04-25-2008, 03:42 AM   #79
killer ZETEC
GL1TCH

Fan#: 44757
What I Drive: advance trac french blue 03 zx3

FF Reputation: 42 killer ZETEC Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
i never knew that was possible to do... hey your making me want to try glassing again, but thats cool i made a shitty tach pod out of my cupholder area on a console. but it think if i need to mod the audiophile box to have enough depth i can do it better this time.....
will it run soon?? who knows.
Old 04-25-2008, 01:04 PM   #80
Klondike
GreyRice WOoT!

Fan#: 25991
What I Drive: GI, '07 zx3 LG

FF Reputation: 53 Klondike Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (26)
wow its lookin good, and sorry i forgot to call you last night, once in the bar, all i think about are beer boobs and wings lol
Velveeta Lover Shell#1
LOTH 00!

Bookmarks & Social Networks