Klondike's Build Thread: - Page 16 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-08-2008, 12:56 AM   #151
SquillyB
4.9L SC Stroker !!!

Fan#: 45801
What I Drive: SC 5.0 FOFO BUILD IN PROGRESS

FF Reputation: 106 SquillyB Excellent Standing MemberSquillyB Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
make sure you smooth out the edges of the holes and remove any debris.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2008, 01:02 AM   #152
SquillyB
4.9L SC Stroker !!!

FF Reputation: 106 SquillyB Excellent Standing MemberSquillyB Excellent Standing Member
Oh yeah, we went out and got a few things this morning.

-afghan cloth, more fiberglass resin and hardner, and a new set of Bondo* spreaders.

Start off by making a seam along the top edge of the mid driver ring and work around the piece using the glue. Short areas, just to tack it down.

Old 05-08-2008, 01:09 AM   #153
SquillyB
4.9L SC Stroker !!!

Since your going to be putting glue on the whole edge of the pillar might as well grind that a little right now.

now continue with your glue trail...

You'll notice the first pillar is chilling on the floor next him the whole time, this is so we can make adjustments to how the afghan cloth will "lay" once it has the additional weight of the fiberglass resin on it. These slopes we are trying to predict must match the original piece.

Old 05-08-2008, 01:18 AM   #154
zx360
Sticker Whore

Fan#: 32439
What I Drive: 2005 black zx3 ses

FF Reputation: 44 zx360 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (33)
looks like these are really coming along, i cant wait to see them in person!

instagram @360DSGNS
Old 05-08-2008, 01:35 AM   #155
SquillyB
4.9L SC Stroker !!!

Once you think you've got it nailed down exactly how you want it. Get to mixing up some glass.

Lou is going to mix this hot so there wont be a lot of pics during this process of the first layer.

Since what I do is a family business, here's my wife, roller in hand to catch any run off from the first layer and because she has "light" hands she usually rolls out the second coat. The light hands are important because this second coat of fiberglass is going to harden into the shape we need. So no mistakes here, too heavy and you'll stretch the cloth and/or damage an edge, crease the cloth. I guess the point here is be really gentle and steady. Gentle yet firm, perfect for the ladies to help here. And yes Klondike you can cut and re-post this in the hot chick with fofo thread if you like.

^ careful people, prewarn you thats my 16 yr old niece. She helps me and loves to learn how to customize cars. I know she's pretty so we can just leave it at that right?! Important part here is the work being done on a fofo.

You can see the dips in the material that will simulate the hours of shaping by yours truly,

Damn near flawless from the first layer...

Because we mix it hot as hell for a quicker turn around, we will not be using the standard traditional method of placing kitty fur over the cloth and adding more resin. We think the afghan cloth is thick enough to support that famous milkshake I keep talking about.

So no fur!!!!!!!!

Ok, the dog wanted in on the action cause he's looking for a date friday night so here's "little Lou"...

Old 05-08-2008, 01:41 AM   #156
SquillyB
4.9L SC Stroker !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx360 View Post
looks like these are really coming along, i cant wait to see them in person!
I am sure klondike will have them on display all over the place as well as at FocusFest. I have recieved orders for other work as soon as he gets these back and posted on his end.
Old 05-08-2008, 03:02 AM   #157
SquillyB
4.9L SC Stroker !!!

It's totally bedtime, I'll finish the posts tomorrow for the milks shake, keep ya waiting another day. Here's a teaser,

Old 05-08-2008, 03:09 AM   #158
SquillyB
4.9L SC Stroker !!!

tease of the milkshake action, this is after pouring it in the enclosure, maybe 30 seconds into the process.

Old 05-08-2008, 03:15 AM   #159
SquillyB
4.9L SC Stroker !!!

And before its brought up, NO WE NEVER WEAR GLOVES IN MY GARAGE. If you have to wear gloves when glassing then your a newb and more than likely not in my garage. My niece has been glassing for a while now, my wife has been involved with customizing much longer. Me and Lou, well a combined 31 years of experience.

You SHOULD wear gloves, you SHOULD, you SHOULD!!! There I said it three times, wear gloves, thats four, wear gloves, five, get my point?!
Old 05-08-2008, 09:59 AM   #160
SquillyB
4.9L SC Stroker !!!

Good morning all.

For the milkshake:
you will need to mix the bondo and the resin like you normally would and add them together seperately. Meaning use bondo and hardner, use resin and hardner, then mix the two together,

Bookmarks & Social Networks