Klondike's Build Thread: - Page 15 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-29-2008, 03:17 PM   #141
tiger61378
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 54476
What I Drive: 2003 Red ZX3 Sport

FF Reputation: 3 tiger61378 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Damn, this is a truly incredible project! Great tutorial on audio construction, Squilly!
Hatchback Lover #53
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2008, 04:00 PM   #142
Klondike
GreyRice WOoT!

Fan#: 25991
What I Drive: GI, '07 zx3 LG

Points 33,134, Level 100
Points: 33,134, Level: 100 Points: 33,134, Level: 100 Points: 33,134, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 53 Klondike Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (26)
billy is the man, thats for sure!
Velveeta Lover Shell#1
LOTH 00!
Old 04-29-2008, 09:49 PM   #143
kenzx3
Say NO to FRPP Drops

Fan#: 42651
What I Drive: '00 ZX3, '03 ZX3, '07 ZX3

FF Reputation: 125 kenzx3 Excellent Standing Member kenzx3 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (49)
That is looking really good billy. Great work.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:09 AM   #144
killer ZETEC
GL1TCH

Fan#: 44757
What I Drive: advance trac french blue 03 zx3

FF Reputation: 42 killer ZETEC Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
well the swirly colors were fun to stare at but if its gotta be painted,lol.
i might be spamming you with sill questions come may when i build my own ten inch woofer box out of a psot 03 audiophile unit. jsut a freindly warning...
will it run soon?? who knows.
Old 04-30-2008, 04:05 PM   #145
Klondike
GreyRice WOoT!

Fan#: 25991
What I Drive: GI, '07 zx3 LG

Points 33,134, Level 100
Points: 33,134, Level: 100 Points: 33,134, Level: 100 Points: 33,134, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 53 Klondike Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (26)
is this bad boy already on its way? and ill call you after class today aight man
Velveeta Lover Shell#1
LOTH 00!
Old 05-03-2008, 02:10 PM   #146
SquillyB
4.9L SC Stroker !!!

Fan#: 45801
What I Drive: SC 5.0 FOFO BUILD IN PROGRESS

FF Reputation: 106 SquillyB Excellent Standing Member SquillyB Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Ok. There was a slight mishap with one of the pillars. The day I was going to ship them my wife accidentally backed our Montero Sport over one pillar in the garage. The custom work is fine however where it clips in to the B pillar area is not ok. Its no longer straight so there is no way in knowing that it will mount correctly again.

Solution? Buy a new one and start over. Sucks for me and my wallet but, shit happens. However the good thing for you and him is I will now have time to do the lights while Lou, my buddy is going to re-make the other pillar. The thread will benefit because we are going to build the second pillar using some diffrent methods. I will also be the pic taker at this point so there will be even more during the process.

The second pillar will be made using speaker grill cloth, fiber glass and bondo "milk shake" and we are going to use some "rage gold" to help with the finishing work.

http://www.evercoat.com/productCategory.aspx?cat=2

So to some extent we will use the first part of the tutorial as a how to for DIY guys kinda doing things the hard way. This next part of the tutorial will be the professional way, router tables, table saws, different grade fiberglass, duraglass, D/A grinders, heat lamps and UV lamps, etc.

The only difference is the second pillar will be about 1/2 lb lighter when finished as opposed to the 1st pillar. Well that and the fact that the second pillar will be done in less than two days as opposed to the almost two weeks it took to do the first one.

56K if you were able to before you can throw that idea out now. We start tomorrow so I can get these out to him this week. Got a lot of tuning to do before the car show I'm guessing.

So sit back and enjoy the 2nd half, grab some popcorn, pen and paper, and your wallet because this is the Pro way and its a little more costly but the turn around time is huge!!
Old 05-07-2008, 07:03 PM   #147
SquillyB
4.9L SC Stroker !!!

FF Reputation: 106 SquillyB Excellent Standing Member SquillyB Excellent Standing Member
STAGE #2

I said we were going to do things a little different for #2, so here goes nothing. Lou, a good friend of mine is doing a majority of this one. Its going to be fast and its going to be done the "pro" way!! The first stage for the first pillar was the "do what ya gotta do" way so I could make the same mistakes one of you might make. Now we are going to make the second pillar flawless from the get go. You will see and hear no difference in the end except for the clock.
Old 05-08-2008, 01:41 AM   #148
SquillyB
4.9L SC Stroker !!!

stage#2:

In this pillar build some of the steps are the same.

-making the standoff's is the same. Why your making the stand off's has changed. We are going to be wrapping this piece from the front of the mid driver ring back to the tip of the piece. Lou my co-worker is one of the better fiberglass fabricators I know so having him help makes it way easy to get more pic's of the actual process. You do notice in the pics he is wearing a "Total Auto Pro's" t-shirt. Its like a real " unique whips" type shop, everything from rims to custom fiberglass systems, Lou's the man.
-In the first step we took some rough measurements to determine the rough spot the ring will go in to duplicate the first pillar that was made. This is where our years of expierence comes into play. You have to "eyeball" EVERYTHING on this piece from the ring locations to the slopes and curves of the first piece I made are all guess work.
Old 05-08-2008, 01:43 AM   #149
SquillyB
4.9L SC Stroker !!!

Here's Lou,
yes thats his Mustang parked on the street behind him, GO FORD!!

here's Lou "eyeballing" his piece for the day, and yes I said the day. This ones going to go pretty quick.

These stand off are going to be used to support the strain of Lou pulling and stretching the fabric over and around the edges.

Old 05-08-2008, 01:55 AM   #150
SquillyB
4.9L SC Stroker !!!

Don't forget to rough up the area you are going to be putting the glue on, sticks better. Here you see Lou using the grinder barrel to do just that.

place it where you want it, then glue, then spray with accelerator.

Now its time to add in the tweeter ring,

Notice the holes that were drilled along the edges of the piece. This so that the fiberglass has some where to seep through . Those "seeps" are going to make little pillars of fiberglass if you mix it hot enough and are turning the piece as the hardner "kicks" in. They add rigidity to the structure and help to break up standing sound waves. Standing waves occur when two soundwaves hit paralell surfaces and cancel each other out because they are "caught" and deminished inside the enclosure. We don't want that, and understanding how they work is important in getting a large, full, rich sound from your enclosure.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.