Klondike's Build Thread: - Page 10 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-25-2008, 03:37 PM   #91
SquillyB
4.9L SC Stroker !!!

Fan#: 45801
What I Drive: SC 5.0 FOFO BUILD IN PROGRESS

FF Reputation: 106 SquillyB Excellent Standing Member SquillyB Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
BACK TO THIS THREAD !!

Now your goning to want to glue down the top half of the cloth a little as well.
Drop a few drops of the glue on the cloth down the ridge, careful as not to touch it with the glue bottle.

Once the glue dries, find the half that needs the most work, ie. filling in grooves with kitty fur.

In our case as in most, its the larger half of your piece. So fold that side up and over, out of your way.

Now you can start mixing a new batch of fiberglass, enough to coat the fur and the cloth once you lay it back over. When the mix is ready give the piece a decent coat or once over with the brush full of glass. Start tacking in the kitty fur, gently.

And , YES, I am that good that I don't always wear gloves, DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME!! Your gonna end up with no finger prints and in a lot of pain when your done.

And now is a bad time to stop and cut fur. Your waisting the work time of your fiberglass mix. Pre cut or have a buddy help you out here.

My 16 yr old niece, Paris, is my helper on this project. We switched of with the camera and stuff so she could get hands on time with fiberglass. She is pretty big into cars and loves custom car systems. So BIG PROPS to her on her first c-pillar job!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2008, 03:45 PM   #92
SquillyB
4.9L SC Stroker !!!

FF Reputation: 106 SquillyB Excellent Standing Member SquillyB Excellent Standing Member
I like the spnge brushes here because they soak up a ton of fiberglass. That and you can use them to tap down the fur without it sticking to the brush.

Sorry I forgot to take pics as she was taping it down but you can see the end result.

Now gently tap into the place the cloth on the ridge/hump working your way right to where the indent begins on your first layers work, and STOP!

Go to the corner of the cloth near the bottom the the piece and tack it down using some glass and sponge brush.

Thus giving final shape to that side.

Now grab a brush and start pouring on the glass. Try to repeat the steps on the other side if your quick enough, or have a buddy to help you can work both sides of the piece at the same time, just mind the center doesnt get pulled off.

Then you will have something to this effect when finished.

Old 04-25-2008, 03:46 PM   #93
SquillyB
4.9L SC Stroker !!!

Old 04-25-2008, 03:48 PM   #94
SquillyB
4.9L SC Stroker !!!

Now its really starting to have a visably defined shape. You can now see the different sides to the piece.

Old 04-25-2008, 03:50 PM   #95
SquillyB
4.9L SC Stroker !!!

Once this layer is fully cured/dried you should cut out a hole in the mid drivers glass cloth in the inside portion of the ring. Time to dump some more glass in here and I'll show you why.

Like that ^^
Shows you how tough one layer of fiber-cloth is once glassed properly and cured. Snapped the blade on my knife when cutting the hole.
Old 04-25-2008, 04:09 PM   #96
SquillyB
4.9L SC Stroker !!!

Notice the inside of the piece has very little if any glass on it? No good. We want our piece to be glassed all the way around, not half glass and half factory plastic. So once the hole is cut, mix up a good sized batch and pour it in. I usually don't mix this as hot because you want to turn the piece over and all around to move the glass around inside.

Old 04-25-2008, 04:10 PM   #97
SquillyB
4.9L SC Stroker !!!

If you were in the car looking back along the piece towards the hatch area...

Old 04-25-2008, 04:17 PM   #98
Klondike
GreyRice WOoT!

Fan#: 25991
What I Drive: GI, '07 zx3 LG

FF Reputation: 53 Klondike Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (26)
^OH YEAH, thats what im talking about right there!!!!!!

a c job eh...lol sorry heh, but it looks great billy, when do u want me to call to discuss the kick panels that i prolly need, as well as that amp and i cant wait for this to come to my house, dunno if its sent out yet, but do a confirm thing, i dont want it left at the apartment someone will steal it, or damage it, i get home at 230 daily and my roomate is usally home so yup
Velveeta Lover Shell#1
LOTH 00!
Old 04-25-2008, 04:44 PM   #99
SquillyB
4.9L SC Stroker !!!

Thought you might like to see one of these shots, the rest are all with the piece on the ground. This gives you more of an idea of what the in car would be.
Old 04-25-2008, 04:50 PM   #100
SquillyB
4.9L SC Stroker !!!

Time for a little prep work for the bondo!!! YES BONDO!! Every one loves it so much, the alternative is duraglass and a little bit more expensive, triple the price.

So first take your piece, give it a once over, remember your lines. Now start sanding and shaping things.

BTW, not every pic is being posted here, there are more. Ya know me drinking in the background, some of Paris working, etc. There is over 1000 pics of this build and they will ALL be hosted at Photobucket.com under the SN "KLONIDKECPILLARS". All caps. This thread is being kept small for the bandwidth purposes. Once Klondike gets the pilars and does his end the entire album will be open for view from start to finish. By start I mean me at the bank cashing his check for materials, the next pic is 20 minutes later with me in the Lowe's parking lot.
I wanted to make sure I had a pic for any ? that someone could ask.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->