Help on why wheels don't fit? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis

Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis The place to go for answers on brakes, suspension, camber, alignment and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-21-2008, 05:11 PM   #1
BlackJack03
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 43232
What I Drive: 04 EAP ZX5 SVTF

FF Reputation: 31 BlackJack03 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Help on why wheels don't fit?

I'm sure you opened this expecting some dumb question...

So here's the story. I bought these (click) wheels for my ZTS (sedan) about one year ago. They worked just fine, in fact they worked great. No problems during the summer they were used.

So I got an SVT Focus instead now, and I thought, this summer I'll try putting them on that to see how they look and fit and perform, etc.

The rear wheels would NOT tighten up correctly. First they were simply noisy as heck, and then they started making wob wob wob noises, so while driving slowly I looked out the door back at them, and BOTH rear wheels were wobbling. I checked the lug nuts and they were torqued on to spec.

Now--on the Tire Rack's web page, when I search for wheels for an '03 Focus ZTS, the wheels I bought will come up as an option. But when I search for wheels for an '04 SVT Focus ZX5, they will not.

Why would these wheels not work on an SVT Focus?

Someone suggested that the offset was different. It doesn't have to do with rubbing--they fit and roll just fine, and they fit just as well on my sedan.

Somebody else suggested maybe it's the dust cap on the rear disc brakes. That makes sense to me because if you look at the inside of a stock SVT wheel, the 4 spots where the lug bolts come through the wheel are recessed, and on these wheels that I have, they are flush with the rest of the inside of the wheel. I will take and post pictures to show you what I mean. However, this is just a theory.

Anybody else have any ideas as to why this could be happening???

Advertisement

Old 04-21-2008, 05:34 PM   #2
Geezer
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1427
What I Drive: 99 miata, 05Mazda6, 09GTI, 12Imprez

FF Reputation: 141 Geezer Excellent Standing MemberGeezer Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Are the lug nuts fully engaging the wheel or are they bottoming out on the stud and as a result not fully tightening the wheel? eg: the lug nut is too short.
Old 04-21-2008, 05:44 PM   #3
BlackJack03
Focus Fanatic

That's something I didn't check but in appearance the lug nuts that came with the wheels are longer than the stock Focus lug nuts.

I don't believe this to be the case, because if it were, I would have the same problem all around, not just in the rear.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:04 PM   #4
Mr.Bergner
coffee, have some

Fan#: 32799
What I Drive: 2004 TW Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 53 Mr.Bergner Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
Perhaps the inside diameter of where the dust cap goes in isn't large enough and you're not able to get the wheel all the way flush and tightened?

I had that happen before on my last car. I had a wheel shop bore out the hole more so they'd fit.
Hatch Nation #29_____________________________________________________________________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
Old 04-21-2008, 06:06 PM   #5
Weldman0730
Focus Addict

Fan#: 52834
What I Drive: 2002 Silver/Black ZTS

FF Reputation: 22 Weldman0730 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Is there a black ring of plastic around the inside of the wheel where the hub actually bolts up to the wheels back face, I know mine has these and I have to swith them when rotating the tire or it wont fit right.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:26 PM   #6
nov173
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 29840
What I Drive: 2014 Focus ST

FF Reputation: 79 nov173 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
when you have the car jacked up and the wheels on and lugs tightened hand tight... can you jiggle the wheel? cuz it shouldn't

For Sale: Rear bumper(stock). SVT side skirts FS as well. Buy em!!!!
Old 04-21-2008, 06:42 PM   #7
Mr.Bergner
coffee, have some

Fan#: 32799
What I Drive: 2004 TW Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 53 Mr.Bergner Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
This is fun, I can't wait to see what happens....
Hatch Nation #29_____________________________________________________________________________ _ _ _ _ _ _
Old 04-21-2008, 09:50 PM   #8
MichaelJD1980
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 55223
What I Drive: 2013 Tux SE Black Pack 5MT

FF Reputation: 9 MichaelJD1980 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I vote for the dust cap being in the way. It makes the most sense. If the dust cap is not fitting inside the center of the rim, then you are getting a see-saw effect. When you tighten the lugs down, you are getting either / or \.

Maybe you can remove the dust cap and mount the wheels just to test the theory. At least then you'll know.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:59 PM   #9
BlackJack03
Focus Fanatic

Yeah, haha sorry I've been gone all evening...

I didn't push or pull too hard on the wheels when they were tightened on, but I was able to move the lug nuts independently from the brake disc. I was told that was normal though.

It just seemed that the wheels wouldn't sit up right. Let me go right now and take pictures of the back sides of one of each wheel.

There ARE centering rings on the inside of the F7 wheels. I'll take pics and post them in just a minute here.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:03 PM   #10
Peregrine
I.S.A.I.K.I.

Fan#: 6009
What I Drive: '03 CD Silver SVT, '11 Mazda CX-9

FF Reputation: 112 Peregrine Excellent Standing MemberPeregrine Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (23)
Pull the rings out and mount one up to see if it works.

Bookmarks & Social Networks