Focus Fanatics Forum banner

It finally happened -- front window fell completely off door track

40K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  FoCussing 
#1 · (Edited)
It finally happened -- front window fell completely off door track :pic added:

Hey, fellow Focus owners, my front driver side window is officially jacked up.
Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find any exact matches via search function.

For over a year, my 02 Focus power window would only roll up about 75% of the way until it hit some heavy resistance -- think watching a slo-motion replay. Yeah, about the only way to get the window all the way up was by either pushing down on the power window button, then hitting up again numerous times or by pushing up on the button while simultaneously lifting the window upwards by hand. So anyway, today while I was rolling up the window, I hear a much louder than usual "click", followed by another, which was followed by the entire window being completely dislodged off the track or motor or whatever the hell keeps it upright.

So, my question is, "What's my play here?" Take it to a glass company? Dealership (stealership, lol)? Do it yourself?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated for this mechanically challenged Focus owner. Thank you.

[pray]

See less See more
#3 ·
I had this happen to my '02 ZTS back in October, but it was the right rear door. I was leaving for a two-hour trip to Toledo for a job interview - rolled down the window to wipe the dew off of it, and it fell right down into the door with a loud clunk. [80?]

I had to duct tape the window up in a hurry for my trip.

When I got back, I took the door apart to see what was wrong. It turns out, the plastic regulator broke. I couldn't see how I would ever get my hand inside the door to fix it, so I took it to the dealership. $300 later, it was fixed.

P.S. I did get a job offer after the ordeal, but declined in favor of a different offer.

#4 ·
Ouch. That had to be a bummer, happening right before a job interview. [:0]

So when you took the door apart, you couldn't reach the plastic regulator at all? Hmmm.

I took a picture before I saw your reply, since I had a feeling my text description may have been slighty too vague.

The window kind of looks like a shark fin. [eek]

#5 ·
That is exacty what happened to mine.

went to ford to buy just the clip that holds the window on track, they make you buy the whole assembly.

I Said F[:)][:)][:)] it and made my own brackets and fixed it myself.

Its an easy fix, but will cost $170 if I remember right.

Im sure Mike (b16sir) can get you a way better deal

#7 ·
I am sure there is some way to get in there (the dealer mechanics were able to do it somehow), but I couldn't figure it out. Once you take the door panel off, there is foam padding stuck to the door with black tar-like goop. Behind that is the inner steel skin of the door with small access holes. I didn't have time to mess with it, so I had the dealer do it. I do believe the regulator assembly was about $170 and there was about an hour and a half of labor.

Keep in mind also, mine was a rear window. There may be more room to work in a front door.

It's funny, really... I couldn't figure out how to fix the window myself, but I had no problems tearing my engine apart to replace the valve cover gasket and thermostat housing. I guess I'm not an interior mechanic. [dunno]

#9 ·
I've had 2 windows go out on my 2000 zts, drivers side rear and passenger side front window. The drivers side rear went first, and after about an hour of me trying to fish the regulator out and getting numerous little cuts and slices on my hands, I took it to the stealership and payed around $300 to fix. Then the front passenger window broke about a year later and I took that one straight to the dealership, another $300.

#11 ·
Well, my bro and I just finished working on the window.

Here's what went down...

1. We tear the down open -- panel and foam, to identify the problem, which was, as suggested, the broken plastic regulator.
2. Ok, off to the dealership to buy the part. Service dude says it's $158 for the whole package. Cya.
3. Swing by junkyard, only to find a lot void of any Ford Focuses.
4. Next stop: Used parts shop. They want $75 for the package. Much better deal than the stealership, but still a bit pricey. Pass for now. I say screw it, let's glue that broken plastic regulator back together.
5. Home Depot to purchase Apoxy 5 min. for $3.
6. Back to home base. Time to apply the apoxy to the regulator. Mount em!
7. Back off the apoxy package says it takes 20 minutes to completely harden, which turned out to be false after an hour of waiting it out. Screw it -- let's hit up Ruby Tuesday's for beers and grub whilst this junk hardens.
8. Upon buzzed return to the house, we find the apoxy strength to be satisfactory. This is when my bro pretty much put all the parts back together. It was a real pain getting both regulators hooked back up to the cables, and re-assembling the entire door panel. However, we got it to work, albiet not without flaws. The window now rolls up, but it's making a bit of 'clicky' sounds and slighty off track. I could take a pic if there's interest.

Bottom line -- if you're mechanically inclined and have a day to wrestle with it, fixing it yourself is worth the effort. Yet, if the window goes kapoop again, I'm not going through all that hassle; instead, taking it to the dealer to let them have my $300 for the headache.

Thanks for all the tips. :)

#13 ·
I know this post is several years old, but I have the same issue, with the same frame of mind: $150 for 2 little plastic pieces ???!!!! Has anyone found somewhere to get those two little plastic pieces that actually clip the window? Salvage yards have turned up nothing. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.