Tire recommendations for stock 16" wheels for autocross - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Autocross Racing

Autocross Racing The place to discuss information about autocross stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-15-2008, 10:53 AM   #1
Killercanary
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 52755
What I Drive: 2003 SVTF

FF Reputation: 1 Killercanary Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Tire recommendations for stock 16" wheels for autocross

Hello all, I've searched under every term I could think of (ie stock, 16", 16x6, etc) to try and find a decent tire to run on my car for autocross this year. i have an '03 SVT and I also have an extra set of stock 16" ZX3 wheels that I want to use for racing. The stock size for that wheel is 205-50-16 and I can't find any tire in that size that is good for autocrossing. I've done a decent amount of searching on the tire rack, discout tire, etc. I planned to run the Azenis RT-615 but they only have a 205-40-16. I want to run our new street tire index class (STI) this year.

My car is 100% stock BTW. I don't care if switching to a smaller size wheel knocks me out of the stock class as I don't have the funds to buy a dedicated set of 17" wheels plus tires right now.

Wife's toy- 2000 MR2 Spyder
Family vehicle- 2007 Infiniti G35X
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2008, 11:01 AM   #2
illinipo
Token Engin-nerd

Fan#: 37693
What I Drive: dirty wag; Party; Bavarian phallus

FF Reputation: 272 illinipo Outstanding Standing Member illinipo Outstanding Standing Member illinipo Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (19)
Check around other sites for RT-615's that is undoubtedly the best tire for the money

the Dunlop Direzza Z1 is supposedly good this year, you may want to check it out

and of course you could go with the fan favorite, BFG G-Force Sport, a lot cheaper than others but you get near the same performance out of em.

Not on this list? Almost certainly crap.
SUV this!
Old 04-15-2008, 11:16 AM   #3
Dcl2049
MyCarBreaksAlot

Fan#: 18957
What I Drive: 2002 Malibu Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 69 Dcl2049 Excellent Standing Member
Welcome to pain.

I pondered the same problem. Turns out there's not a real good solution for running Azenis on your 16x6" wheels. It is possible to squeeze some on, but they are 225/50. In short, you will look like a tractor... don't imagine it's very safe although the size chart says it works on 6" at the smallest, and you will scrub like hell. I don't know if the Dunlops will fit, either. 205/50 is a pretty funky size, so good luck finding anything. I ran (old) G-Force sports and I wasn't very impressed with them at all. My old Nitto Neo-gens seemed to do better, but they are 10mm wider so it's not exactly a controlled result. Best way to solve your problem is probably to see if you can find some 16x7's because you can't fit steel 15's on your SVT.
Dan - gumpcrew #4
[BBS][Borla][Focus Central][Hella][K&N][Koni][Lentech][Wings West]
#23 STS Wiregrass Region SCCA
Old 04-15-2008, 05:42 PM   #4
Auto-X-ZTS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 54278
What I Drive: 2000 ZX2 S/R

Points 318, Level 6
Points: 318, Level: 6 Points: 318, Level: 6 Points: 318, Level: 6
Level Up 36% Completed
Level up: 36% Level up: 36% Level up: 36%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 7 Auto-X-ZTS Good Standing Member
Dunlop makes a 205/50-16 for the Z1...its 24.1" (close to OE diameter)
The RT615 Falkens also come in a 215/45-16...its 23.5"
The B-Stone RE01 is a 205/45-16...and is about 23.2"

The shorter tires will give better gearing. The Dunlop and the B-Stone will out-grip the Falken. The Falken is cheap, the Z1 a bit more. Pick your poison...they'll work OK.

Because the Focus, especially the SVT, likes the shorter tire for gearing, I suspect the B-Stone would be fastest.
___/\_____/\_____/\_____/\___
Old 04-16-2008, 12:52 AM   #5
Killercanary
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 52755
What I Drive: 2003 SVTF

FF Reputation: 1 Killercanary Good Standing Member
Thanks for the responses thus far! I see that Falken makes a 205-40-16 too, I know it'd be a good bit shorter which would help with gearing as mentioned above. Do you all think its better to go with the 205 or the 215 on a 6" wheel? I was always under the impression that a stretched tire is better than a bulging tire when it comes to handling, and I'm not sure if the 215 would bulge or not on the 6" wheel.
Wife's toy- 2000 MR2 Spyder
Family vehicle- 2007 Infiniti G35X
Old 04-16-2008, 12:57 AM   #6
SVT Robzor
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 26230
What I Drive: 2004 CD Silver SVT

FF Reputation: 5 SVT Robzor Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto-X-ZTS View Post
Dunlop makes a 205/50-16 for the Z1...its 24.1" (close to OE diameter)
The RT615 Falkens also come in a 215/45-16...its 23.5"
The B-Stone RE01 is a 205/45-16...and is about 23.2"

The shorter tires will give better gearing. The Dunlop and the B-Stone will out-grip the Falken. The Falken is cheap, the Z1 a bit more. Pick your poison...they'll work OK.

Because the Focus, especially the SVT, likes the shorter tire for gearing, I suspect the B-Stone would be fastest.
Ditto'd and +1 on all counts. The Z1 is looking like a very fast new tire; it supposedly has both a compound nearly as grippy as the Yoko Advan Neova, which are $$$.$$, and a much more rigid structure than the 'stones, which is a benefit for camber-challenged, nose heavy cars like ours. The RT-615 is a standby, and the 215/45 would be a great way to go. So would the stone, which may be less of a pinch on the 6" rim, and so would be Z1, though those are said to run super-wide for their called size.

No real bad way to go with those, just understand you're not buying a long wearing street tire. The BFG G-force Sport, or maybe a General Exclaim UHP or similar tire might be a better call if you don't plan on quite as much dedication. It can also be better to learn to be fast with a less grippy setup, you won't waste a stickier setup later that way.

EDIT: on tire size, I've long read that while pinching a wide tire is NOT optimal, at day's end the wider tire is almost ALWAYS faster. If you have unlimited realestate, then a square or slight stretched fit should be quicker. Since you dont have that in stock class, the widest tire will, all other thing being equal, be faster.
Old 04-23-2008, 02:10 PM   #7
DognamedMack
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 21406
What I Drive: kah

Points 1,458, Level 21
Points: 1,458, Level: 21 Points: 1,458, Level: 21 Points: 1,458, Level: 21
Level Up 58% Completed
Level up: 58% Level up: 58% Level up: 58%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 3 DognamedMack Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Might be late but I'm using Hankook Ventus Rs2 in a 205-50-16. I'm still a novice and they do fork fine for me. edgracing still has them for $85/ea. They have 7 tires in the 205-50 size. 2 tires on there are in the low 200 treadwear rating.
Old 04-23-2008, 04:10 PM   #8
Dcl2049
MyCarBreaksAlot

Fan#: 18957
What I Drive: 2002 Malibu Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 69 Dcl2049 Excellent Standing Member
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but instinct tells me I'd feel a lot safer on a pinched tire than a stretched tire. I'd worry about high lateral forces on something where the beads aren't optimally engaged.
Dan - gumpcrew #4
[BBS][Borla][Focus Central][Hella][K&N][Koni][Lentech][Wings West]
#23 STS Wiregrass Region SCCA
Old 04-23-2008, 04:40 PM   #9
plumcrazy
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 46433
What I Drive: 2007 Black ZX5

Points 160, Level 3
Points: 160, Level: 3 Points: 160, Level: 3 Points: 160, Level: 3
Level Up 20% Completed
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 plumcrazy Good Standing Member
I've been very happy with the 205-40-16 RT-615's. I ran 10 auto-xs and 1 track day plus several thousand street miles on them.
Old 04-23-2008, 05:08 PM   #10
Dudes ZX3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 23416
What I Drive: 2001 Pitch Black Focus ZX3

FF Reputation: 10 Dudes ZX3 Great Standing Member
I was sold on the Dunlop Z1 Star Spec this past weekend. I worked grid and then poked my nose around between runs at the Philly event. And the one thing I heard from who ever was running StarSpecs was, "I keep giving them more, and they keep on taking it!" And it was a really fast course. I'm pretty sure they only tire faster were a couple of civic's running shaved RE-01's!

TireRack is offering one hell of a deal right now, com'on rebate!!

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.