OBD emissions testing - how long for computer to be "ready" after reset? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-12-2008, 07:03 PM   #1
SkaAddict
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1690
FF Reputation: 69 SkaAddict Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
OBD emissions testing - how long for computer to be "ready" after reset?

My Focus has been sitting for about six months since my little brother put it in a ditch and smashed the front end. As a result its registration has lapsed and I need to take it in to be "e-checked" before I can renew my plates. I've had a CEL for quite some time so today I took it to Autozone and had them scan it...I pulled three codes; two relating to misfires in cylinders 3 & 4 (old codes...I haven't had a misfire in either for a long time) and a typical EGR error.

I poked around in the engine bay and found the culprit for the EGR code; one of the rubber hoses that routes exhaust had come off the DPFE sensor and was clogged. I replaced the hose and clamped it onto the DPFE. While this was going on I had the positive battery terminal removed to reset the computer. After reconnecting the battery I let it run for about 10 minutes and then took it to a vacant shopping center and drove around the parking lot for about 15 minutes and didn't get the CEL to come back so I believe the EGR issue has been fixed.

My question is, how long does the engine need to run until it will show "ready" when they plug in at the testing station? I can't really risk driving it too far on public roads since my plates have been expired for two months now...would letting it idle in the driveway for a while be adequate or do I need to take it out and run it for about 50 miles before taking it in?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2008, 10:36 AM   #2
S0C0nFused
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 39405
What I Drive: 2007 TorD-Red ZX5 SES

FF Reputation: 77 S0C0nFused Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
The only thing that is affected emissions wise when resetting the ECU (per my reading) is the long term fuel trims. When you reset your ECU you loose those (plus any stored codes of course). If you have corrected your EGR code issue then you should be OK for test I would think (The ECU is always 'learning' the long term fuel trims, so I don't see how lack of them would impact the test results).
Last of the Hatches #28
Old 04-13-2008, 11:08 AM   #3
brandnew161
Focus Addict

Fan#: 46064
What I Drive: 95' Eagle Talon TSi AWD

FF Reputation: 4 brandnew161 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
when i reset my ecu to clear a code it took a few days in order to pass the emissions test. They first told me to drive it down the highway for a lil while so i did, came back and still wasnt ready. They also let it idle in the parking lot for 15 minutes or so, no good. Took 3 days of city driving for it to be ready. idk if that helps any
ZC#172
Old 04-13-2008, 11:14 AM   #4
focusxc
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 25771
What I Drive: 2002 SVT,03ZX3STREET STOCK RACER

FF Reputation: 4 focusxc Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
i have heard that driving at 50 for 15 min would set the monitors or like 10 cold starts

Nice guys finish last, lets change that
Old 04-13-2008, 11:31 AM   #5
penguin
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 21700
What I Drive: 2005 Infrared ZXW

FF Reputation: 109 penguin Excellent Standing Memberpenguin Excellent Standing Member
> The only thing that is affected emissions wise when resetting the ECU (per my reading) is the long term fuel trims.

Nope.

http://www.michaelsservicestation.com/ford_obdll.htm

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/obdindetail.htm
Old 04-13-2008, 11:31 AM   #6
S0C0nFused
Focus Fanatic

Huh! So maybe it does have to have the long term fuel trims, or something else?
Last of the Hatches #28
Old 04-13-2008, 05:05 PM   #7
penguin
Focus Fanatic

FF Reputation: 109 penguin Excellent Standing Memberpenguin Excellent Standing Member
> So maybe it does have ... something else?

Yup.

It has to have the results of the drive cycle and other tests, such as the evaporative fuel system control tests, which are erased with a sustained battery disconnect. Until the vehicle is cycled through the driving conditions necessary to complete those tests, there will be no results and the vehicle will fail an emissions test with an OBD-II code of P1000, "OBD-II Monitor Testing Incomplete."

Check out the part on the P1000 code in this article:

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache...lnk&cd=1&gl=us

And notice that some scanners might not even show the P1000 code if set wrong.
Old 04-13-2008, 05:15 PM   #8
penguin
Focus Fanatic

> I can't really risk driving it too far on public roads since my plates have been expired for two months now..

This gives details of the precise cycle required to reset the P1000 code to pass emissions. It should enable you to figure out how to do it with the least amount of driving on public roads.

http://www.obdii.com/drivecycleford.html
Old 04-13-2008, 05:23 PM   #9
S0C0nFused
Focus Fanatic

Ahhhh! Thank You Penquin. I had not even considered stuff like the Evap system.
Last of the Hatches #28
Old 04-13-2008, 06:04 PM   #10
foci3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 38952
What I Drive: 2001 WH 4DR

FF Reputation: 3 foci3 Good Standing Member
The site penguin linked to gives the the drive cycle and each monitors requirements as Ford states. The only problem with it is that without a scan tool that indicates monitors completing while doing the drive cycle you have no idea if the monitors have completed. I drive Fords to complete the monitors many times each week. Some cars take much longer to complete certain monitors especially the catalyst monitor. While driving with scan tool I can see each monitor as it completes (they don't always complete in the same order on different cars even doing the same drive) and knowing what driving conditions I must do to complete the rest of the monitors. Some (especially cars since 2006) complete all monitors in less than 7 miles. Others can take me 20 plus miles to complete. In NY state a car 2001 or newer requires all monitors but 1 (any one) to be complete to pass inspection.

Bookmarks & Social Networks