Moving to AZ, need advice! - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Regional Forums > South West Fanatics > Fanatics: AZ, NV, NM

Fanatics: AZ, NV, NM Regional discussion Forum for planning events and sharing information with all Members in the Desert areas.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-10-2008, 03:55 PM   #1
number_twelve
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 49473
What I Drive: 2000 silver LX 5 Speed

FF Reputation: 4 number_twelve Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Moving to AZ, need advice!

Hello all! After moving back home to Iowa for a few agonizing years of school, I'm ready to get the heck out again! I've lived in Tacoma, WA and Germany before, and I'm looking to land a job in Arizona, either Tucson, or Glendale.

I'm a pilot looking to get on at a school to teach others to fly, and I think I'd prefer Tucson over Phoenix. I'm not a fan of huge cities and high costs of living. Now, keep in mind, I've never been to AZ before! Although, I've been to Saudi Arabia in June, so I know about the heat...

So what I'm interested to know, are the good sides and bad sides to living in Tucson over the Phoenix area. How's traffic in Tucson? Would I get killed riding a moped around since I hear most commuters have murder on their minds?? Anybody have any first hand knowledge on the local flight schools? Would Glendale be better or less expensive??

Any input is much appreciated!

~Jake

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2008, 06:01 PM   #2
thisdude_05
Thou shall fear me!

Fan#: 50808
What I Drive: 2009 Scion tC

FF Reputation: 27 thisdude_05 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
Phoenix Sky Harbor Int'l Airport is in Phoenix so you may have a better chance of landing a pilot job here. Living here is not bad but if I had the choice now I would move to one of the surrounding cities, tempe, mesa, chandler, glendale etc.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:39 PM   #3
SkyPilot
Jetsetter

Fan#: 22350
What I Drive: 2004 SE, 2012 Yellow Blaze SE HB

Points 13,274, Level 75
Points: 13,274, Level: 75 Points: 13,274, Level: 75 Points: 13,274, Level: 75
Level Up 6% Completed
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%
Forum Activity 10%
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%
FF Reputation: 45 SkyPilot Great Standing Member
to AZ

im a pilot as well currently attending ATP at Phx-Mesa Gateway KIWA, i dont know much about the tucson area im only here for flight school im originally from ny, im currently living in Mesa it seams like all the flight schools at KIWA are of the "program" type, ie ATP, MESA ect other than that gateway is an awesome airport it used to be an old AFB so 3 10,000' runways makes things nice, I have a friend that lives in glendale its nice up there i think the cost of living will be more than tucson anywhere in the phx area but you might have an easier time finding a job flight instructing in phx, falcon field, deer valley or glendale all have private schools to the best of my knowlege, but im not 100% sure, also if you look at a phx sectional you will find more airports around the area then tucson, creating more places of teahing especially for private students.

I have only been down here for 2 months with atp and within the next few days i will have my Commerical MEL, cant wait. there is just alot more opertunity for a flight instructor around phx than tus.

i would possibly look into pan-am flight academy, (deer valley) my buddy works as a flight instructor there he is locked into a 1 year contract with them, however he will be making around $35,000 in that one year which isnt too bad for a flight instructor as you may know.

The Phx area issues more pilot certificates than fla. and cali. combined so you know there are students that want to learn to fly.

Good luck with the move!
ZETEC Crew #26 SR #20 YELLOW BLAZE OWNERS GROUP#4
Moderator Pilot, 2 foci Owner! 04 SE Sedan [P RNDL], 12 SE HB ╠╬╝
Ford Focus Discussions, Ford Focus Marketplace, Ford Focus Tech Discussions, Movies & Music Fanatics, Regional Forums
Old 04-10-2008, 07:16 PM   #4
number_twelve
Focus Enthusiast

Wow, awesome info! I've looked at the PHX sectional and you're right. IWA looks like it's a ways out from the city too, so that's a plus.

Also, something funny... I've been flying since Sep 06 and just recently finished my instrument. The weather here is enough to make a pilot trying to get ratings commit suicide! It's taken less time to get my AAS at the community college than to get my ratings. Pretty sad. That's the main idea behind moving out there. So what I'm doing is trying to fininsh my commercial here, and find a flight school willing to pay for my CFI ticket down there. I know several will, so I'm at the point of sending resumes off to them. I'd love to get on at Air Safety in Glendale and fly the Cirrus all day!

Thanks for your help James, your help may play a big part in my decision!
Old 04-10-2008, 08:13 PM   #5
SkyPilot
Jetsetter

Points 13,274, Level 75
Level Up 6% Completed
Forum Activity 10%
Quote:
Originally Posted by number_twelve View Post
Wow, awesome info! I've looked at the PHX sectional and you're right. IWA looks like it's a ways out from the city too, so that's a plus.

Also, something funny... I've been flying since Sep 06 and just recently finished my instrument. The weather here is enough to make a pilot trying to get ratings commit suicide! It's taken less time to get my AAS at the community college than to get my ratings. Pretty sad. That's the main idea behind moving out there. So what I'm doing is trying to fininsh my commercial here, and find a flight school willing to pay for my CFI ticket down there. I know several will, so I'm at the point of sending resumes off to them. I'd love to get on at Air Safety in Glendale and fly the Cirrus all day!

Thanks for your help James, your help may play a big part in my decision!
NP man, its very very busy down here, i feel ya about the weather trying to get a pilots rating in ny in a reasonable ammount of time is next to impossible, i have logged around 130 hours in 2 months in AZ and the southwest, verses the 145 hours i logged in over 2 years in ny, the south east parctice area is less than 10nm from iwa so within a matter on minuets your there and rolling into that steep turn! I havent flown into glendale yet but i have visited one of the schools there and they are very nice, if a school is gonna pay for your cfi ticket then go for it, i sure would, good luck with the commercial, i hope to have mine by the beginning of next week
Ford Focus Discussions, Ford Focus Marketplace, Ford Focus Tech Discussions, Movies & Music Fanatics, Regional Forums
Old 04-10-2008, 10:00 PM   #6
number_twelve
Focus Enthusiast

Best of luck on your check ride! Multi-engine.... I only wish at this point!
Old 04-10-2008, 11:53 PM   #7
SkyPilot
Jetsetter

Points 13,274, Level 75
Level Up 6% Completed
Forum Activity 10%
Quote:
Originally Posted by number_twelve View Post
Best of luck on your check ride! Multi-engine.... I only wish at this point!
thanks man, you will get there soon enough!
Old 04-12-2008, 01:15 PM   #8
Tom
FF Founder

Fan#: 2
What I Drive: 2005 Saleen ZX3 SES Turbo

Points 84,598, Level 100
Points: 84,598, Level: 100 Points: 84,598, Level: 100 Points: 84,598, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%
FF Reputation: 60 Tom Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
You'll have more fun in the Phoenix area as its more centralized.
Old 04-13-2008, 08:16 PM   #9
number_twelve
Focus Enthusiast

Thanks Tom! Hmmm, ok. Next question.... Deer Valley, Goodyear, or Mesa????? By the way, I like my space, hate traffic jams, and I like having mountains close so I can go play. If you have an opinion on any of these places, please let me know. The good, bad, and the ugly!
Old 04-13-2008, 08:25 PM   #10
Tom
FF Founder

Fan#: 2
What I Drive: 2005 Saleen ZX3 SES Turbo

Points 84,598, Level 100
Points: 84,598, Level: 100 Points: 84,598, Level: 100 Points: 84,598, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%
FF Reputation: 60 Tom Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
Depends on where you will end up working. Deer Valley will put you closest to Flagstaff if those are the mountains you had in mind.

Mesa would probaby be a good place for you since you planned on being an instructor.

Bookmarks & Social Networks