Average Engine Life? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-04-2008, 05:37 AM   #1
Knoxcide
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 54901
What I Drive: 2003 Nissan Frontier Supercharged

FF Reputation: 1 Knoxcide Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Average Engine Life?

Hi, I'm new.
I was just wondering how long a Ford Focus Engine Lasts? How many miles before it takes a dump?

I just bought a 2000 Ford Focus ZX3, with 169,000 Miles. I'm just having second thoughts because I'm not sure how long ford engines last. When I first got it, I drove it home and noticed it has a little squeeling noise when I started it(Maybe a belt?), however when I drive it for a mile or so, then shut it off then back on, the noise is gone?

I had a 2001 Ford Focus SE before this one, that had 90k on it. I wasn't too worried about it, but with this one I am.

Also, how hard would it be to take the engine out of my wrecked 2001 Focus and put it in my 2000 focus?(If I needed to)

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2008, 06:16 AM   #2
StealthGray
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 19017
What I Drive: '04 Liquid Gray ZX3

FF Reputation: 12 StealthGray Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
That definitely sounds like a belt squeal...
With proper maintaining engine life is as good as any other engine. Of course from individual engine to engine it is something of a guess, but there are people on this list with over 200k and no big problems. The other question with 169k is how was it treated before you got it?

I can't answer the engine swap question because I haven't done it, but being that you already have a back up engine I wouldn't worry about the one you have, run it until it drops and then swap!
By the way, do a search on "Engine Swap", I'm sure there's a How-To, and it will at least give you an idea of what's involved...
Old 04-04-2008, 06:32 AM   #3
zlaja
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 52919
What I Drive: 2003 While LX Sedan

FF Reputation: -11 zlaja Needs To Improve
ive heard of european fords reach 250 - 300k kilometers without rebuild or anything

its highly dependant on maintainance and how the car is driven
Old 04-04-2008, 07:04 AM   #4
JRODSVT
Dragon Warrior

Fan#: 15362
What I Drive: 03 SVT ZX5

FF Reputation: 97 JRODSVT Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
With proper maintenance A Focus engine ought to be able to make 300k miles + without any engine specific problems. a belt is going to squel and tensioner is goig to break and alternator is going to wear out. but the engine itself should have much longevity.
o xxxxxxxxxxxx o
Old 04-04-2008, 08:22 AM   #5
Sid03SVT
Focus Addict

Fan#: 39759
What I Drive: 02 Explorer 4.6L, 02 CBR600 F4i

FF Reputation: 8 Sid03SVT Good Standing Member
definately check the belt and the tensioner at that rate; I've always liked my Fords, I've been driving them since I got my liscence (and a few years before that, but it wasnt on a road) they have all lasted me a long time (and are still all on the road, except my project car which still runs) if this car was properly maintained, then you shouldnt be too worried about it, however:
when was the timing belt done?
when was the serpentine belt done?
has the coolant been changed?
did the car sit for a long time?
do you know the maintenence records?
assuming they have the same engine (which they probably do) a swap wont be to horrible; after you take the hood off and disconnect lines, hoses, wires, exhaust, trans etc. you should be able to just pull it out with a cherry picker, and put in the other one; you will want a friend who has done it before along with you.
go into the swap forum and poke around and ask questions, they can give you better direction, I've swapped engines before in other cars, and once you get it in and hook everything back up, prime your fuel lines, you can pretty much just start it up and run it, but make sure you have a torque wrench, and any other Focus specific tools (I've only done swaps in mustang, t-birds and F-series)
don't know how? click on the number next to "FF Reputation" and add a comment
Old 04-04-2008, 08:42 AM   #6
gukin
Focus Addict

Fan#: 12777
What I Drive: 2003 Orange SVTF

FF Reputation: 1 gukin Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
You should check out this thread: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...highlight=300k

The guy's mechanics were surprised the valve guides had held out that long.

I wouldn't be too worried about the engine, look through some of the cheap cars on Craigslist and you'll find it's the transmission that usually dooms most older cars; that and the failure to replace a timing belt on an interference engine.

Still, if it runs well and you're happy, enjoy yourself. If you paid $39,799 for the car and will be paying it off for the next 14 years, you might look into having a mechanic check it out for longevity reasons.
Old 04-04-2008, 09:15 AM   #7
nov173
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 29840
What I Drive: 2014 Focus ST

FF Reputation: 79 nov173 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
depends... some cars can't last 50k miles.. some can last over 150k... depends on how you maintain and drive the thing and just luck too... i've known people to have "nice" cars that just fail... it happens.

For Sale: Rear bumper(stock). SVT side skirts FS as well. Buy em!!!!
Old 04-04-2008, 02:50 PM   #8
ajp
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 54748
What I Drive: Red 2003 EAP

FF Reputation: 8 ajp Good Standing Member
i talked to a ford rep who drives a 2004 zx5 at the vancouver car show.... he said hes seen cars with 300 000 KM on them and they havent been rebuilt or anything (who'd rebuild a zetec?) proper maintenance and good driving habits will preserve your engine. also the magic of full synthetic.
Old 04-05-2008, 01:50 AM   #9
Knoxcide
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 54901
What I Drive: 2003 Nissan Frontier Supercharged

FF Reputation: 1 Knoxcide Good Standing Member
Hey Guys, Thanks for the replys.

I canned the Yellow 2000 ZX3(Automatic). I took it back to the dealership, because I wasn't quite satisfied with it, plus when I went to go get an oil change, the oil was overfilled, and was pure black. Which means whoever had it before didn't take care of it, and most likely there is a lot of sludge build up. Also it began making some more, even louder squealing noises.

I traded it back in, and got a Black 2003 Focus LX Sedan with 77k Miles. 5 Speed tranny(I'm gonna have fun learning to drive stick!.. lol), with already tinted windows, and a body kit. Has a sunroof too, which is pretty cool too.

Here's some pics(Pics from the dealership website, not my own, so there not that good.

Plus with my previous focus, all automatic, I never really had the ambition to do anything to them. But now that I have a manual, maybe I will get that Cold Air Intake, hmm.

Anyways, thanks for your replys
Old 04-05-2008, 02:58 AM   #10
killer ZETEC
GL1TCH

Fan#: 44757
What I Drive: advance trac french blue 03 zx3

FF Reputation: 42 killer ZETEC Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
thats a nice ride. and yeah if you get teh bug to mod it a bit i suggerst getting the lower half of teh svt airbox. and you can upgrade to a k&n drop in and get the same effect as a cold air without worrying of hydrolock. best part is every advince auto parts o nthe planet has that filter (or a stocker) should anything go wrong its a quick fix. then get a really good exhaust. i dont know if emissions is in effect in washinton but i'd get a highflow cat, a 2.5 inch flexpipe and 2.5 inch back exhaust with a shorty header (no ebay jsuk please) as long as its all stainless its should last quite a while under the car. then maybe get some new headlights seeing as the drivers side one looks cloudy (you can find good sets on ebay, i'd get the black normal tyc ones so it matches the car other than that it looks like you came across a pretty good deal.
will it run soon?? who knows.

Bookmarks & Social Networks