Keep or Remove the Resonator? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > ZETEC Performance (2000-2004)

ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-21-2014, 03:41 PM   #1
foxmustangman
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 118189
What I Drive: Black '02 ZX5

FF Reputation: 2 foxmustangman Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Question Keep or Remove the Resonator?

Put an aftermarket muffler tip on my car instead of the "lunchbox" and it sounds decent at idle, but after about 2k it just sounds stock. I want to take the resonator off, but don't want it to be too loud. Would it be best to get another resonator or should the sound be decent with a muffler and no resonator?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2014, 10:12 PM   #2
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 60 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Confused.

Did you mean you put on a tip after the "lunchbox"?

Resonator = Lunchbox, the piece between the rear wheels & the bumper.

S.R. #275

Old 03-21-2014, 10:30 PM   #3
foxmustangman
Focus Enthusiast

No I'm talking about the piece before the rear wheels, looks kinda like a glasspack. If that's not that a resonator, what is it?
Old 03-21-2014, 10:35 PM   #4
foxmustangman
Focus Enthusiast

This is what I have on my car right now.

Old 03-22-2014, 01:58 AM   #5
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 60 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Systems vary, some have two in the center (muffler/resonator) while others have a CAT and a muffler there, or pipe & one muffler.

Sounds like yours has two in the middle, would deff. get louder with only one.

Saw an SVT exh. picture just now, resonator in the front, then muffler - and a lunchbox at the tail, is your ZX3 like that perhaps?

S.R. #275

Last edited by sailor; 03-22-2014 at 04:32 AM.
Old 03-22-2014, 03:25 PM   #6
iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

FF Reputation: 48 iminhell Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxmustangman View Post
http://www.fswerks.com/collections/exhaust/products/fswerks-stealth-exhaust-system-ford-focus-zx3-zx5-hatchback-2000-2007

[/Thread]

Don't preach unless you live.
Ya'know?
Old 03-22-2014, 04:04 PM   #7
foxmustangman
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
Systems vary, some have two in the center (muffler/resonator) while others have a CAT and a muffler there, or pipe & one muffler.

Sounds like yours has two in the middle, would deff. get louder with only one.

Saw an SVT exh. picture just now, resonator in the front, then muffler - and a lunchbox at the tail, is your ZX3 like that perhaps?
Hmmm I'll have to take pics when I get home so I can show what I'm talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell View Post
Don't preach unless you live.
Ya'know?
Wut?
Old 03-22-2014, 05:21 PM   #8
iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

FF Reputation: 48 iminhell Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
If you're going to tell a guy that the FSW exhaust is the best buy, but you don't have it and never have ... yet are hacking up pseudo factory exhaust ...

Well, you just cut both your legs off.

The problem for years (or always if you look at it long enough) is that Focus owners all love to give opinions. The problem is, who's opinion is based on personal experience? The answer is, not nearly enough. The evidence is all the BS parts in the marketplace and already on cars. If people would learn to keep their fingers off the keyboard for shit they know nothing about, things would have gone much different. There might actually be some go fast parts for the cars at reasonable cost and not stupid shit that does nothing but increase the bling factory of the shitbox.

I know I am picking on you. But don't be discouraged, you won't be the last and are not the first.

IMO, quit dicking with what you have and buy an actual exhaust for the car.
Tips - do nothing
Removing parts - only alters sound (for the worse IMO)

If you want money to produce results, you have to buy parts that are proven to give results.
Old 03-22-2014, 06:49 PM   #9
foxmustangman
Focus Enthusiast

I wasn't trying to step on anyone's toes man. I definitely don't pretend to know everything, or hell anything, about these cars. I'm obviously new to the whole Focus thing as you can tell by my post count and how many threads I've started or posted in asking questions about everything, as in this thread.

As for the link for the other guy, I was just trying to help him out with a kit that was decently quiet. I've heard good things about the one that I posted up, and I guess I'm still too new for people to get my sarcasm/humor yet.

Plus if not for opinions then what the hell are we doing here? Its a forum. The entire premise of this website is getting others opinions and advice. The guy posting didn't give much insight or detail into exactly what he was looking for, so neither did I.

As for my exhaust, I sure as hell am not doing this for performance. I know my little shit box is slow, and even if I put a full 2.5 exhaust system on the car, it in all reality would do shit for my performance. Maybe the same placebo effect that we all seem to think that our CAI or underdrive pulleys gave our car an extra 10+ hp, but we all know its closer to .5.

Again I'm not pretending I know everything, I'm just the new guys looking to make friends here at FF.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:39 PM   #10
foxmustangman
Focus Enthusiast

That being said...

This is the one I'm talking about. The guy at the exhaust place said it was a resonator. Has anyone put a non-4-banger muffler in there? Like a Magnaflow muffler typically designed for a V8 or something? I wonder how that would sound.

Bookmarks & Social Networks