Use these wheels or send them back? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack

Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.
Sponsored By:
Tire Rack

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-23-2008, 11:04 PM   #1
gpspilot
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 54596
What I Drive: 2003 ZTS

FF Reputation: 1 gpspilot Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Use these wheels or send them back?

According to this web page,

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=2278

the "Suggested Aftermarket Wheel Offset" for the Ford Focus is 40 - 49 mm. What will happen if I try to use wheels with an offset of less than 40?

The reason I'm asking is, I just bought a set of 16x7 wheels on eBay for my 2003 Focus ZTS. The wheels were advertised as having a 40 mm offset, so I felt comfortable ordering them because 40 is within that "suggested" range of 40 - 49 mm. But when they arrived on my doorstep, it clearly says "Offset: 35 mm" on the box.

Is this 35 mm offset going to be a problem? Should I attempt to get the eBay seller to take these wheels back? The shipping alone cost $150. Since the seller mistakenly listed these wheels as having a 40 mm offset, I think he should eat all the shipping costs (but you know what they say, "good luck with that").

Here are my considerations:
  • I haven't lowered the suspension.
  • I've always bought size 205/50/16 tires for my Focus, and I'm not interested in experimenting with other tire sizes.
  • I'm not a "tuner" and am not too concerned about how these wheels will look; I'm only concerned about whether they will cause rubbing, degrade the handling, or cause a safety problem. (Or some other problem I haven't even anticipated.)
Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2008, 12:13 AM   #2
toolnut7
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 50293
What I Drive: 2006 white SES ZX4

FF Reputation: 5 toolnut7 Good Standing Member
Ok, lets see if I can explain this and not confuse you. When you reduce the positive offset from the recommended offset you change the steering geometry and the term called the scrub radius. If you can imagine a line drawn through your strut as you face the front of the car and also draw a line through the center of the tire, where the two lines intersect is your scrub radius. Now that said, the point at which these two lines intersect should be as close to the road surface as possible. When you mess with this too much your car become harder to handle than drunken pig.

I think the problem you may have will be the wheel rubbing on the brake calibur or the tire rubbing on inside sidewall because your moving the whole wheel into the wheelwell by 5mm. I know it doesn't sound like much but it may be JUST enough.

HTH, Rick

Old 03-24-2008, 10:16 AM   #3
Geezer
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1427
What I Drive: 99 miata, 05Mazda6, 09GTI, 12Imprez

FF Reputation: 141 Geezer Excellent Standing MemberGeezer Excellent Standing Member
The lower the offset is, the closer you move the tire and wheel assembly outward or towards the fender lip. As you do so you reduce wheel/suspension travel. Most rubbing occurs between the edge of the tire and either the fender liner or the lip itself. Fender lip rubbing is much more serious than fender liner rubbing as the lip can cut the tire. I would not gamble with a 35 offset or even a 40mm offset for that matter. The safest offsets for aftermarket wheels are between 45 and 49mm. You'll rarely find a rubbing complaint on these pages with offsets in the bracket. Double check the inside of the wheel. The offset is usually embossed on the wheel rim or the back of a spoke. It will usually appear with the letters "et" in front of the offset measurement.

I like Tirerack's very simple explanation found here: http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/...jsp?techid=101
Old 03-24-2008, 11:24 AM   #4
Sid03SVT
Focus Addict

Fan#: 39759
What I Drive: 02 Explorer 4.6L, 02 CBR600 F4i

FF Reputation: 8 Sid03SVT Good Standing Member
my guess is that they will rub on your fender/wheel well (lower offset = wheel/tire gets pushed further outside on the vehicle); i suggest you attempt to get the ebay selling to take them back, and refund your shipping price on the basis of a misrepresented product.
don't know how? click on the number next to "FF Reputation" and add a comment

Bookmarks & Social Networks