Squeaky Friggin Seat - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-17-2008, 10:55 PM   #1
jetrinka
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 45622
What I Drive: 88 5-speed XR4TI

FF Reputation: 180 jetrinka Excellent Standing Member jetrinka Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Squeaky Friggin Seat

So just recently my drivers seat has been squeaking to all hell. As my weight shifts in the car it just squeaks away. I have lubed up all the pivot points and metal to metal contacts I can see and it still squeaks. Its driving me nuts when I drive. *SQUEAK SQUEAK SQUEAK!!!!!*!!!!**!

Anyway. It sounds like the squeak is coming from inside the upper partition of the seat. The area right behind my shoulder blades. I have looked and it doesn't look like there is any way to get to the inside of the seat without slashing it and I do not have any upholster experience so I am afraid to dig into it further. The car only has 46000 miles on it so its just stupid. Anyone else had this problem? And if so how did you fix it?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2008, 11:27 PM   #2
AlexJake
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 46711
What I Drive: 06' screaming yellow zx3

FF Reputation: 1 AlexJake Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
i have the same problem but only with my pass. seat, it seems to go away when the weather gets warmer but when it cold it comes more often but sorry no help on how to fix it
Old 03-17-2008, 11:27 PM   #3
Trav-E2.0
Thread Killer

Fan#: 8331
What I Drive: 2014 Fiesta ST

Points 14,853, Level 79
Points: 14,853, Level: 79 Points: 14,853, Level: 79 Points: 14,853, Level: 79
Level Up 1% Completed
Level up: 1% Level up: 1% Level up: 1%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 6 Trav-E2.0 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
Moved to "Ford Focus Technical Chat"

You'll get a better response in here I think
Old 03-17-2008, 11:31 PM   #4
jetrinka
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 45622
What I Drive: 88 5-speed XR4TI

FF Reputation: 180 jetrinka Excellent Standing Member jetrinka Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Thanks Trav. I wasn't sure where to put it as its not really a motor or trans issue. lol
Old 03-17-2008, 11:45 PM   #5
croto5000
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 33665
What I Drive: 2007 ST

FF Reputation: 7 croto5000 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
i have the same issue. i see no point in bringing it to the dealer as they'll fight me tooth and nail not to replace a seat. they'll just lube the joints like you did and send me on my way. does the headrest come off? maybe there's a way in there. just dump a bunch of goop down the holes and see if it hits the right areas...
Old 03-18-2008, 01:01 AM   #6
nomad327
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 19440
What I Drive: red 2002 svt focus

FF Reputation: 13 nomad327 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
My SVT seat has a noise at the outer edge bolster of the lower cushion. I loosened the frame up under the foam by landing on it too hard getting in and out I think. Your seat and mine probably need versions of the same fix performed. (Generic directions follow, I haven't gotten around to fixing mine yet)! First you need a fairly big table or bench with a soft scratchable surface, I usually try and get a big piece of cardboard and put it on top of a table that is mid chest high. First, I would remove the headrest and any removable pieces of it's mounting. Then, with the seat removed, (airbag precautions required), you have to remove the plastic trim if any from around the bottom. The next step is to disconnect any wiring from top to bottom half, and then disconnect the top and bottom halves from each other. Before you do that, I would inspect the lumbar and recline mechanisms, they are a lot easier to check out when the unit is at chest high, and can be spun around and tipped upside down. If you find anything cracked, or loose, you may be able to fix it here with a few simple steps. Otherwise, you have to split the bottom from the back, which usually means dealing with a stiff spring, but will not be an issue on SVT because it has the rotary knob for backrest rake adjustment. Once the halves are separate, you have to remove the upholstery cover from over the foam. It is usually held on by a couple hidden metal C shaped clips which are called hog rings. There are usually only a few at the bottom of a backrest. The rings can be pried open with screwdrivers or pliers and reused, or normally they are cut off with diagonal pliers. With the rings removed, the upholstery is like a vinyl and cloth sleeve that slides down over the metal frame and foam pad like a tight fitting bag. The bottom cushion cover generally has a lot more of the metal rings holding it on, (or sometimes it's a bunch of little metal pointed tabs that have to be bent over). The bottom cushion is usually easier to take apart when you do get all the rings out, because it's not such a tight fitting cover. Some heavy trucks and real cheap cars have the upholstery bonded directly to the foam rather than a removable seat cover, but I don't think SVT is that way. Once the upholstery is removed, you can generally just work the foam off of the metal frame, and then look for any areas where the frame is cracked or has had any welds seperate. You will probably need a few new hog rings from a hardware store to reattach the covers after the basic structure is all patched up, they are cheap, and ideally, you can find a kit with a real cheap set of hog ring pliers in them. Hog rings are installed by putting a new ring in the jaws of the pliers, and then placing the open ring around the two pieces that are to be connected. You just squeeze the rings to secure things as they were found, other reassembly is fairly straightforward.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:22 AM   #7
shepski
Banned

Fan#: 45523
What I Drive: '04 CD Silver SVT ZX5, #328 of 1079

FF Reputation: 53 shepski Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
Still under warranty? My SVT's seat squeaked like mad when I bought it, but the dealer killed the squeak under warranty (just by tightening everything, apparently). Been 15 months squeak-free...

Nevermind the above, I guess - I just read your post thoroughly...
Old 03-18-2008, 11:40 AM   #8
bumblebee07
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 48686
What I Drive: 2007 Yellow ZX5, 1985 Corvette

FF Reputation: 1 bumblebee07 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
My car is less than a year old and the whole car squeaks. The batch hatch and the passenger door panel are the worst. I've never seen such a thing on a brand new car. Oh and my dealership wouldnt do anything about it either
Old 03-18-2008, 02:26 PM   #9
shepski
Banned

Fan#: 45523
What I Drive: '04 CD Silver SVT ZX5, #328 of 1079

FF Reputation: 53 shepski Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
Less than a year old? DEMAND they fix they squeaks - they're covered under the "bumper to bumper" warranty.
Old 03-19-2008, 06:11 AM   #10
nacnudv8
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 52725
What I Drive: former owner:Pitch Black '03 SVT 3D

FF Reputation: 7 nacnudv8 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
My passenger seat squeaked and I found it the main torx bolt on the rail was a little bit loose!

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.