STEEDA 28mm rear sway - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Brakes, Suspension & Chassis

Brakes, Suspension & Chassis The place to go for answers on brakes, suspension, camber, alignment and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-17-2008, 03:43 PM   #11
88redstar
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 53080
What I Drive: 02 Black SVT

FF Reputation: 11 88redstar Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by b16sir1991 View Post
It is perfect. I have the 24mm H&R cup bar and the Steeda 28.6mm rear. As i have stated before, i can pull more than 1.1 g on street tires. Any member on here that has rode in the car can attest to that. If youre looking at getting the Steeda bar, you need to callm e first. I have them in stock and cheaper than anyone else. Plus, i need to explian a couple thinga about the bar that most on here dont know. You can call me at 800-849-0233 and ask for Mike in parts.
Just an example:
We have compared a Ford GT in a cloverleaf that we have here right below the dealership. The best the GT could manage right before the rear kicked out was 60 mph. The curves are marked 25mph. I can do 70-72mph around them. Thats those bars, stock svt struts and shocks and Tein S-Tech springs.
I'll definitely be calling you. Thanks for the info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2008, 05:01 PM   #12
wakewil
Focus Addict

Fan#: 50446
What I Drive: 04 silver svt

FF Reputation: 3 wakewil Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
sweet. so that setup will be the $h!t, now just to save up the money...
another question. how would that work with the eibach pro kit setup?? anyone done that yet??
Old 03-17-2008, 05:03 PM   #13
b16sir1991
Focused Focus

Fan#: 16612
What I Drive: 2004 SVT Focus, Sonic Blue

FF Reputation: 175 b16sir1991 Excellent Standing Memberb16sir1991 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (116)
It should be very similar to mine, just a little more compliant.

Oct 2005 Ride of the month.
SVT Squad #25
Call me Mike......

Give rep points and feedback when you appreciate someone on here!
Old 03-17-2008, 05:06 PM   #14
wakewil
Focus Addict

Fan#: 50446
What I Drive: 04 silver svt

FF Reputation: 3 wakewil Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
sweet..... id be callin you right now if only i had the cash for that
Old 03-18-2008, 02:39 AM   #15
SpeedOften
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 2139
What I Drive: E90 335i, 2002 E53 X5 4.4i

FF Reputation: 28 SpeedOften Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
I'm running the steeda with the stock SVT front cuz I have been lazy on installing the H&R 24mm front bar... It's not as bad as everyone makes it out to be... AND I have a 5 door..
Old 03-21-2008, 09:00 AM   #16
jstrunk
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 43931
What I Drive: 2003 Black SVT

FF Reputation: 1 jstrunk Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (16)
Hmmmm im tempted to just get the rear sway and keep with the stock front sway with the svt... i dont think itll be that bad at all.. but.. what do i know. it is just a 3door. blah, 1g in the focus and stuck to the ground huh?
Now i only have a STG4 clutch/flywheel/torsen.. and plugs and 180degree therm...
How can i go from boosted to N/A? because my other car is an FD3S...
Old 03-21-2008, 10:51 AM   #17
Auto-X-ZTS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 54278
What I Drive: 2000 ZX2 S/R

FF Reputation: 7 Auto-X-ZTS Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
If you want oversteer, try increasing the rear spring rate relative to the front--swaybars are meant to be the 'icing on the cake' in a suspension setup, not the batter.

IMO anything bigger than a 24-25mm on any street driven Focus is dangerous--twofold.

One--The LCA of the Focus is not designed to handle the forces generated by a HUGE swaybar. There have been MANY document LCA failures on cars with bigger-than-stock RSBs. Can you imagine what would happen if it failed in a corner while at speed? The problem only worsens when the BRSB is used in conjunction with softish street springs--and anything softer than H&R Race springs is soft. Period. The big bar takes all of the compliance out of the nifty suspension that the Ford engineers designed. Why'd you want to do that???

It can happen with a stock bar...it has happened more on cars with BIG RSBs than on those w/o...but this was a good photo.

Eibach Bar.

Another Eibach

Second Danger--Snap oversteer. In an evasive manouver, especially in the wet, losing control of a car with this bar is a real possibility. What are the consequences of that?
I am a 40 year old father of two...and I would pray that this situation won't happen and end up hurting an innocent bystander because some "oops-now-I'm-in-over-my-head" boy-racer with more money than brains goes out and buys parts like this and slaps it on his car without thinking about how it effects the whole dynamics of his suspension. It is Major to say the least.

I have a lot of background in Focus swaybars (Look up "Auto-X-ZTS swaybar" on FJ if you dont believe). I have an SCCA license, I have won roadraces and have autocross 1sts in many cars, including a STS Focus. Please understand that this advice is coming from someone who has 'been around the block' when it comes to performance cars.
___/\_____/\_____/\_____/\___

Last edited by Auto-X-ZTS; 03-21-2008 at 12:59 PM.
Old 03-21-2008, 12:09 PM   #18
Sid03SVT
Focus Addict

Fan#: 39759
What I Drive: 02 Explorer 4.6L, 02 CBR600 F4i

FF Reputation: 8 Sid03SVT Good Standing Member
I had alse heard of the large bar snapping LCA during auto-x sessions (one of the reasons i didnt buy it....yet) and that it screws up the dynamics of the original rear suspension design intent, heres my question, is there an aftermarket LCA out there? i mean it wouldnt be that hard to design/manufacture something a bit tougher than the stock unit..
don't know how? click on the number next to "FF Reputation" and add a comment
Old 03-21-2008, 12:18 PM   #19
j-zetec_pr
MACHINERY TECHNIAN

Fan#: 47101
What I Drive: 2000 Silver ZX3 Kona, MTX-75, Zetec

FF Reputation: 27 j-zetec_pr Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
i think Mike strengthens the stock LCA, but he'll have to chime in about that
Old 03-21-2008, 01:06 PM   #20
Auto-X-ZTS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 54278
What I Drive: 2000 ZX2 S/R

FF Reputation: 7 Auto-X-ZTS Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by j-zetec_pr View Post
i think Mike strengthens the stock LCA, but he'll have to chime in about that
Quote:
Thats those bars, stock svt struts and shocks and Tein S-Tech springs.
He is running on Tien-S's if I read correctly--157/179 pounds F/R--on OE SVT dampers. That softly sprung setup with a 28mm bar is tempting fate, IMO...and honestly is exactly what I am talking about by slapping a bunch of mish-mosh together and calling it a performance suspension, regardless of how many G's it can pull. I am not here to flame anybody, or "piss in anyone's charcoal", but it simply shows a lack of wisdom when the facts are what they are. This is not a new problem--I first heard it happen in 2003.

Some 03+ SVTs had reinforced LCAs which had a square washer welded to the LCA around the endlink hole. There have been some of these 'fixed' LCAs have broken too. Hope the strengthening your refer to exceeds that.
___/\_____/\_____/\_____/\___

Bookmarks & Social Networks