Zetec Water Pump Removal (How to) - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-01-2009, 05:39 PM   #11
bazookajoe
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 61625
What I Drive: 2001 white Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 bazookajoe Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Haynes needs their butts kicked for their removal instructions in this case.

I have just finished and I am worn out. Thank you so much for posting this, as it is how I finally got the water pump out after a google search sent me to these forums. I am replacing the motor mount also, as I've had a vibration coming from that side for some time now.

Thanks again!
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2009, 06:25 PM   #12
MNELSON400
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 61796
What I Drive: 2000 fOCUS

FF Reputation: 1 MNELSON400 Good Standing Member
To replace the water pump you need to remove engine mount and drop the engine. I've got the Haynes too and the show it motor out.... How long did it take Ya?
Old 01-09-2009, 12:04 AM   #13
malim
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 55004
What I Drive: 2007 Ford Focus ST - Black

Points 952, Level 16
Points: 952, Level: 16 Points: 952, Level: 16 Points: 952, Level: 16
Level Up 52% Completed
Level up: 52% Level up: 52% Level up: 52%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 4 malim Good Standing Member
Couple of threads down Rabit made a guide on how to replace the water pump for a Zetec (assuming that is what you have) Check it out.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=184383
Old 03-03-2009, 07:51 AM   #14
rapidspec
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 63224
What I Drive: focus 1.8 2000

FF Reputation: 1 rapidspec Good Standing Member
at first glance i thought no way is that gonna come out, but what the heck here goes. off with the aux belt, make note of where it goes! off with the 3 pulley bolts, off with the 4 pump bolts, PUMP STUCK!!!, a little tapping, much swearing off it came. now getting it out, wiggle here wiggle there, no way is that gonna come out. one last go, i turun the pump so the pulley wheel is in the engine and at an angle out it came. there is a cut out at about a third of the way round the hole where the pump fits that makes it easier to remove. i found the aux belt more of a pain to put back
Old 08-15-2010, 01:13 PM   #15
Wiegand
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 77577
What I Drive: 2001 Candy Red Zx3

FF Reputation: 2 Wiegand Good Standing Member
I'm doing it now, But my pump is like welded on.. So 4hrs now and it hasnt moved, I took a sledge to it and still nothing...

But i couldnt even get the pulley out, untill I put the jack under the oil pan with books on it for protection, then I jacked the motor up about 4 inches, looks like I got enough room to remove it?
18s
Old 03-17-2011, 09:24 PM   #16
HolyHealy
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 84101
What I Drive: 2001 White ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 HolyHealy Good Standing Member
Hey guys, new to this forum and came across it via google. This how-to is fantastic, especially compared to the Haynes one I do have a few questions, however.

Why does the motor mount have to be removed? I've seen a few people across these boards and the net that claim to have not needed to drop the engine, is this true?

And secondly, What sort of skill level is needed to this? I've wrenched my own car on little things (belts, alternator, oil filter etc) but I've never dealt with motor mounts. I feel like it sounds more intimidating than it actually is. Anyone wanna shed some light on what sort of skill level is needed to perform this job?

Sorry for double post...
Old 03-17-2011, 10:03 PM   #17
02ZX5cominalive
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 29946
What I Drive: 2002 Liquid Grey ZX5 w/S2 kit

FF Reputation: 3 02ZX5cominalive Good Standing Member
When I was stranded in a parking lot changing my water pump, I found that taking the 4 bolts holding the A/C compressor out really helped. Slid that sucker over and the water pump came right out. Of course after 45 minutes trying to wiggle it out.

Totally parted and scrapped.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:21 PM   #18
HolyHealy
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 84101
What I Drive: 2001 White ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 HolyHealy Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02ZX5cominalive View Post
When I was stranded in a parking lot changing my water pump, I found that taking the 4 bolts holding the A/C compressor out really helped. Slid that sucker over and the water pump came right out. Of course after 45 minutes trying to wiggle it out.
Right on, thanks for the reply and advice. It seems my only concern now is do I have the balls to mess with motor mounts. Like I said, am I just letting the concept intimidate me, or is it a non issue that I may not even have to deal with?
Old 03-18-2011, 05:07 AM   #19
02ZX5cominalive
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 29946
What I Drive: 2002 Liquid Grey ZX5 w/S2 kit

FF Reputation: 3 02ZX5cominalive Good Standing Member
I didn't touch the motor mounts. Only the 4 bolts holding the A/C compressor to the block. Which gave me enough room for the water pump to slide right out. No hoses or freon needed to be removed from the air conditioning.

Totally parted and scrapped.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:36 AM   #20
ddunkle00
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 90624
What I Drive: 2002 ford focus

FF Reputation: 1 ddunkle00 Good Standing Member
2002 water pump replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimple1 View Post
Well I just got done replacing the water pump on my wife's 00 Focus ZX3 Zetec and I wanted to write a post on how I went about doing it. It's not a "simple" job as it takes some maneuvering to get that sucker out.

1. Jack front of car up.
2. Take off Radiator overflow tank from frame (1 x 10mm).
3. Remove bolts on Water Pump Pulley (3X 8mm wrench) (I took mine out from below after I loosened them from above).
4. Remove belt cover plastic from below (3x 10mm).
5. Flex tensioner pulley upward and remove serp. belt (15mm wrench).
6. Open Radiator overflow tank lid and Drain Radiator fluid via Radiator drain plug on lower driver side.
7. W/ wood block and jack support the engine's oil pan.
8. Remove passenger side motor mount w/ engine FIRMLY supported (2 x 19mm , 3 15mm).
9. Remove water pump bolts (4x 8mm? wrench)
10. Lower engine slightly and snake water pump pulley out downward.
11. Water pump downward next (I had to go up and down til I hit a magic spot).

Install is in reverse w/ burping radiator at the end.

It took me a bit of time as there's not much wiggle room for the pulley and pump to exit the vehicle. Why ford didn't enlarge the indention in the frame railing so to allow easy removal and installation is beyond me. (if you don't know what I'm talking about, you soon will).

First time doing it and it took me 2.5 hrs with the Haynes (which btw is useless in this situation b/c they show it coming out with the engine out of the car!! WTF!)
This was a huge help!!! Thank you!! The only thing I did different was I removed the A/C compressor as you described above, 4 long bolts and left the hoses connected, so I didn't have to touch the motor mounts. After removing the water pump from the engine, I turned it 180 degrees so the pump fins where facing the wheel well. Then I could remove it from below the engine where the A/C compressor mounts. Also as describe above, I made sure I took note of how it came out so the new water pump could fit back in. I also replaced the belt, figured why not since I was this far anyways. Iím no mechanic but with what I read here, I was able to complete the job in 2 hours. Thanks again.

Last edited by ddunkle00; 10-10-2011 at 12:23 PM.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.