Focus Fanatics Forum banner

How to tap fuse box for power?

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  SkaAddict 
#1 ·
Okay, so I'm ready to hook up my power windows. I'd like to put them on a NON-ignition dependant circuit, because I've always hated needing keys for power windows. The switch circuit has it's own fuse in it's own little holder, so all I need to do is tap into some power somewhere... [wiggle]

I would like to tap it into the fuse box behind the CD holder in the interior, in an "Unused" spot if possible. Is there power going to those things? ALSO, there is an additional wire that the instructions say to tap into the car's interior illumination circuit if I want the switches to light up. Where / how do I do this? [scratch]

#2 ·
Ford tends not to wire the blank spots on the fuse box. Your best bet it to use an add-a-circuit and find a fuse that is always hot. For illumination, you can splice off of the light switch.

#3 ·
I went to Auto Zone and asked for an add-a-circuit, and the guy had no idea what I meant. I couldn't tell if I wasn't communicating my needs clearly or if he was just dumb. =/ Who makes one or what should I look for?

So, do you mean pull the actual switch from the dash and just splice the hot light-up wire directly to the hot from the "parking/interior" light position?

#5 ·
There's also the "quick and dirty" method of tapping a fuse by wrapping bare wire around one leg and plugging the fuse back in, but for something like power windows I'd go with an "add-a-circuit."

Check here: http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=BUS&MfrPartNumber=HHA&CategoryCode=4017D

They're the "parent" company of Kragen, Checker, Murrays and Advance Auto...and it looks like they carry it in-store, might want to check there if there's one by you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.