Gone rallying - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-09-2008, 10:23 AM   #1
Mikeydeno
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 50920
What I Drive: 2014 Ford Fusion SE Ecoboost

FF Reputation: 1 Mikeydeno Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Gone rallying

So last night we were exploring the dirt roads of Ontario because the 401 was shutdown due to the snowstorm. In my buddy's ZX3 (MTX, intake, but pretty much stock) we were flying down these dirt roads at about 70-80mph making snow banks go 50ft. in the air (nothing more awesome than that ) Anywho, we are going down the road and I started to slide, hit a few snow banks and then came to a sliding stop...
didn't hit anything but i could smell burning clutch and the dash lights and headlights started to dim and a real strong electrical smell preceded for about 2 mins. then everything went back to normal...any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2008, 10:27 AM   #2
Spinal
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 45687
What I Drive: 2007, Vermillion Red, ZX3 SE

FF Reputation: 29 Spinal Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
well...beings i live in ontario i've encountered the same issue, kind of lol. anyway long story short me n my buddy went into this huge parking lot of a community center where the snow wasn't plowed it must have been at least a foot deep, 2 in some places. i took my dads fofo which is a bone stock zx5 with winter tires and went nuts, gotta love TC.

after a short run doing doughnuts and stuff i started to smell something (its an automatic so no burning clutch) and steam came out from under the hood. anyway i popped the hood open, snow got on the exhaust manifold so that caused the smoke and for some reason, it was leaking radiator fluid. not much and i don't know why either, maybe it got really hot and went out the overflow, if there is one?

hasn't ever happend again with normal driving and i've thrashed it around a bit and still nothing, so prob only under extreme revving.
Last Of The Hatches #44
Old 03-09-2008, 10:41 AM   #3
Mikeydeno
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 50920
What I Drive: 2014 Ford Fusion SE Ecoboost

FF Reputation: 1 Mikeydeno Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I did notice a little smoke coming from under the hood (seemed more like steam), but we just kept on driving and it was fine...we were desperate to get home, we left Toronto at 1pm and didn't get back into Detroit until after 10pm...BTW i NEVER in my life seen as many foci w/ SAP than the drive up to Toronto!
Old 03-09-2008, 10:57 AM   #4
Spinal
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 45687
What I Drive: 2007, Vermillion Red, ZX3 SE

FF Reputation: 29 Spinal Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
haha ya theres quite a few around here. also i asked my dad what his thoughts were and he said since u went crashing through the snow, the snow could've got into the clutch housing which caused it to slip, maybe thats why you smelled the burning smell. and for the dimming, maybe snow got into the altenator/fuse box and made it short a bit till it dried out. oh ya and maybe snow got on the serpintine belt and made it slip...

believe me when my run from the parking lot was over i haven't seen so much snow under a car in my life LOL
Last Of The Hatches #44
Old 03-09-2008, 11:34 AM   #5
jetrinka
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 45622
What I Drive: 88 5-speed XR4TI

FF Reputation: 180 jetrinka Excellent Standing Memberjetrinka Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Our stock clutches do overheat very easily. He was probably just using it too hard.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:08 PM   #6
RallieConGoggle
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 50774
What I Drive: 2007 CD Silver ZX4

FF Reputation: 9 RallieConGoggle Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Did you have your goggles on?
Zetec Crew #190

Bookmarks & Social Networks