hesitation on acceleration - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-06-2008, 02:45 PM   #1
wkornf
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 49305
What I Drive: 2000 Black Focus XZ3

FF Reputation: 1 wkornf Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
hesitation on acceleration

since i got my 2000 focus ive replaced the egr sensor, the black thing on the fire wall and the tps sensor, the one on the side of the TB.

over the months ive been getting a CEL with egr insufficient flow, reseting battery clears it for a few weeks. well in the last couple days the car started heavily stumbling in every gear at low rpms. there is no CEL atm because i recently reset the battery. tho id imagine it would throw the same egr insufficient flow. does this mean my egr sensor is broken again? i still have warranty.

thanks please help :)
need car to work on monday

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2008, 02:50 PM   #2
fhg959
SE HABLA ESPAŅOL

Fan#: 50640
What I Drive: 06 Big-Egg Rally

FF Reputation: 52 fhg959 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Have you tried changing the actual EGR valve? I had to do this once in my old zetec, it did kind of the same thing as yours before I changed it, but ran great afterwards. It isn't expensive and super easy to do!
-Team Duratec #122 SoCal #0
278whp & 259 ft/lb @ 2688rpm of Pure N/A baby!!!
7.22 @ 89 mph 1/8 mile
10.68 @ 127 mph 1/4 mile

I'm a time taker and I just wasted your time
Old 03-06-2008, 04:00 PM   #3
wkornf
Focus Rookie

well my egr sensor warranty only had 1 month left on it so i decided to drive(kinda) over to autozone and cash in on free replacement.

no luck on that, still drives terrible.

EGR valve? autozone has it listed for $80, never heard of anyone replacing it. anyone else know about this?
Old 03-06-2008, 04:45 PM   #4
godsbassist
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 44054
What I Drive: 2004 Silver zx3 pzev

FF Reputation: 1 godsbassist Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
It can get stuck and cause a stumble for sure. Worth looking at, in the least.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:58 PM   #5
wkornf
Focus Rookie

thanks for the advice, what should i be looking for? if im correct the part seems to be just a tin can with a hose going in the top.

also searching the forums ive heard similar problems being related to fuel filters? since ive had the car almost a year, used/88k miles. ive never replaced it, nor have a i changed the spark plugs/wires.

will these help me out?

ps, no clue how to install a fuel filter.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:32 PM   #6
fhg959
SE HABLA ESPAŅOL

Ok, first of all, if the MIL indicates an egr malfunction it has to be something related to the egr. Replacing your spark plugs/wires and fuel filter always help, but won't necessarily solve the problem (assuming that those are not the problem). Now, from experience I can tell you that in my old zetec replacing the egr valve solve my problem. Also it is important to mention that it was also on the mid 80k miles. First I changed the sensor and the malfunction continued, then I replaced the egr valve and the problem was fixed; MIL was gone and also the mechanical malfunction. I think there is one way to test your egr by blowing or sucking air out of it, I don't really remember, something similar to the way you test pvc vales. If I wasn't helpful, there is always the option of taking your car to the mechanic. :)
7.22 @ 89 mph 1/8 mile
10.68 @ 127 mph 1/4 mile

Old 03-06-2008, 10:49 PM   #7
wkornf
Focus Rookie

thanks, just a little hesitant to buy another $80 dollar part. having a car for less than 1 year and having to replace every part in the damn thing isnt to appealing. this car has been tons of trouble since i got it. i thought i knocked this problem out 6 months ago with the other 2 sensors.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:52 AM   #8
fhg959
SE HABLA ESPAŅOL

well, you know $h!T happens. Also, I don't want you to spend 80 bucks and not to solve your problem. My advice if you want to stop wasting money is... take it to a good mechanic and have him fix your car, even if they charge more. Remeber that most of the times you get what you pay for... good luck!
7.22 @ 89 mph 1/8 mile
10.68 @ 127 mph 1/4 mile

Old 03-14-2008, 09:59 PM   #9
wkornf
Focus Rookie

update:

so after replacing the egr sensor ive yet to get the CEL to pop back up which leads me to believe the CEL had nothing to do with thats happening now. Since it was on for months before i encountered this new problem.

the stuttering is almost constant at this point and im wondering why it doesnt cause a check engine light to turn on. Car has almost died a few times getting out of first. and it can buck real bad while accelerating seemed worsened at first with AC on but now its pretty bad regardless.

Thanks for the help so far.
Wayne
Old 04-04-2008, 06:54 PM   #10
wkornf
Focus Rookie

Update Again:

2000 zetec 2.0 zx3

Parts Replaced: fuel filter,spark plugs/wires/egr sensor/egr Valve
CLeaned: MAF/Throttle body

SO i still have the hesitation on acceleration and ive definately noticed its much worse when the air condition is on. For the most part the stuff ive done is regular maintenance on 90k mile car. I spoke to my uncle and he says it sounds like a problem with fuel delivery. Any other input? Since replacing the EGR valve i dont have a CEL anymore. Ive got nothing to go on.

Thanks,
Wayne

Bookmarks & Social Networks