Am I Correct? No Traffic Info on MFT Nav w/o Sirius? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-29-2013, 08:20 AM   #1
Richs10
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95786
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Titanium Hatch

Points 312, Level 6
Points: 312, Level: 6 Points: 312, Level: 6 Points: 312, Level: 6
Level Up 24% Completed
Level up: 24% Level up: 24% Level up: 24%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Richs10 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Am I Correct? No Traffic Info on MFT Nav w/o Sirius?

I let my Sirius subscription lapse after the trial period because I really didn't use it much. One thing I did like was the traffic info integrated into the MFT Nav System. So I recently called Sirius about their constant renewal offers. But I found out that these 'cheap' renewal offers only apply to the Music portion. I would have to pay another monthly fee to reactivate the traffic info. Way too much money!

The other day, I used the MFT Nav to travel into DC at rush hour. The MFT estimated time for the trip looked way too short. So I pulled out my Galaxy S4 and did the same trip with Google Nav. Google apparently took into account the current traffic conditions while MFT Nav did not. For me, this could be very serious if I had an appointment to make.

BTW, I do know I can connect with Sync for traffic updates, but that's not the same as it being integrated into the Nav system IMHO.

So, is it true that MFT has no internal provision to account for current traffic conditions without a "super subscription" to Sirius?. If so, it's not a very reliable navigation system. I feel a bit cheated that my $300 phone does a better job than my $2,000 MFT system.

Thanks,
Rich

BTW, are all the other car company systems like Ford's with this issue? Just curious foe when it comes time to buy a new car....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2013, 09:27 AM   #2
copernicium112
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 87742
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Ti Sedan

Points 1,491, Level 21
Points: 1,491, Level: 21 Points: 1,491, Level: 21 Points: 1,491, Level: 21
Level Up 91% Completed
Level up: 91% Level up: 91% Level up: 91%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 4 copernicium112 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richs10 View Post
So, is it true that MFT has no internal provision to account for current traffic conditions without a "super subscription" to Sirius?. If so, it's not a very reliable navigation system. I feel a bit cheated that my $300 phone does a better job than my $2,000 MFT system.
Yep. What you see on the screen is info from Sirius Traffic/Travel Link. You can get just traffic for $3.99/mo, just travel link for $1.99/mo, or both traffic/travel link for $5.99/mo. You don't need to subscribe to radio to still get these. I called and got them to give me 2 years traffic/travel link for $117 even (including activation fee, taxes, etc).
Old 08-29-2013, 02:20 PM   #3
Richs10
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95786
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Titanium Hatch

Points 312, Level 6
Points: 312, Level: 6 Points: 312, Level: 6 Points: 312, Level: 6
Level Up 24% Completed
Level up: 24% Level up: 24% Level up: 24%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Richs10 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by copernicium112 View Post
Yep. What you see on the screen is info from Sirius Traffic/Travel Link. You can get just traffic for $3.99/mo, just travel link for $1.99/mo, or both traffic/travel link for $5.99/mo. You don't need to subscribe to radio to still get these. I called and got them to give me 2 years traffic/travel link for $117 even (including activation fee, taxes, etc).
Thanks. I didn't know you could do the traffic only. But I'm still not happy about it. I can't wait til these car companies give up the ghost and allow the apps on our smartphones to run the show. I had to use Google Maps on my phone in a rental car during a recent vacation. I forgot what a good job they do.

Rich

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.