Focus Key - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-06-2008, 11:54 AM   #1
SVT_BMXer
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 11226
What I Drive: 1991 BMW 318is

FF Reputation: 20 SVT_BMXer Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
Focus Key

I know this may sound like a complete noob question. But I need to get an extra key made for my car. When I first bought the car I went to have one made and the dealership told me it was $95 to have one made. Said it was a transponder key. Now I know they make keys like that but does a Focus really have one? The guy said if I had regular key made and used it in the ignition it would mess up the ECU. This sounds like alittle fishy to me but wanted to make sure before I get one made.

Current:1991 BMW 318is: Bilstein sports, H&R springs, TMS chip, UUC short shifter, dyna-max muffler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2008, 12:03 PM   #2
faster_than_u
anti svt

Fan#: 41017
What I Drive: focus

FF Reputation: 12 faster_than_u Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
your car wont start with a regular key. it has to have the pats chip in it and be programed
ZC#200
Old 03-06-2008, 12:05 PM   #3
blackSVT04
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 48184
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black SVT ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 blackSVT04 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
i def dont think its going to do anything to your ecu....if you take a regular key (w/o the correct transponder) cut for your car and try to start the car, a kill switch will engage and kill the engine after turning it over, thats it....its a anti-theft feature going all the way back to at least the mid-90's on Ford cars....found out the hard way on my 96 stang a while back.....

$95 probably sounds about right unfortunately....

SVT Build #1574 of 1978
Old 03-06-2008, 12:16 PM   #4
Egz
Sückn' n Blown

Fan#: 442
What I Drive: 2003 2.3l ZX3

FF Reputation: 111 Egz Excellent Standing MemberEgz Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Shame you dont have 2 keys. If you did, you could do it yourself. You're stuck and have to go to the dealer.

There are other options out there, but they comprimise security.
(if you are wondering, get regular blank copies made, and tape/zip tie the original key to the outside of the lock cylinder in the steering column. Then any key can start the car, but then any key can start it meaning it can be stolen far far easier)
Old 03-06-2008, 03:05 PM   #5
Archion
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 53720
What I Drive: 08 VB SES 2d/99 Mustang/86 F150

FF Reputation: 6 Archion Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I know at least back to 99 PATS was available,, it is on my 99 stang. I didnt have 2 keys when I bought it, but I did buy it from a ford dealer. I made them cut program and give me a second key. Once you have two I think you can program up to 6 yourself. With only one key, the Ford scantool is required to clear the system and reprogram all keys. It wont mess up the ECU so no worrys there, but it will have to be programmed.
Old 03-06-2008, 03:18 PM   #6
04FocusInSK
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 53013
What I Drive: 2004 SE in Arizona Beige Metallic

FF Reputation: 1 04FocusInSK Good Standing Member
I'm also needing to get another key cut (I only have two, I like to have a spare put away somewhere for emergencies). So, I should take both of my keys to the dealer, to make it easier for them to program the new key, right?
Old 03-06-2008, 04:35 PM   #7
Egz
Sückn' n Blown

Fan#: 442
What I Drive: 2003 2.3l ZX3

FF Reputation: 111 Egz Excellent Standing MemberEgz Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
If you already have 2, you can do it yourself. Get a blank PATS key, and have a hardware store cut it.

http://www.fordf150.net/howto/patskey.php

Use method 'C'
Old 03-06-2008, 04:47 PM   #8
RallieConGoggle
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 50774
What I Drive: 2007 CD Silver ZX4

FF Reputation: 9 RallieConGoggle Good Standing Member
I've only got 1 for my ZTS also. You can get one cut, but it will only unlock the doors. That'd be good in case you lock your keys in. I've been meaning to do that, but I never got around to it.
Zetec Crew #190
Old 03-06-2008, 05:08 PM   #9
HawkeyeFLA
Focus Addict

Fan#: 6078
What I Drive: 2002 Ford Focus ZX3 Pitch Black

FF Reputation: 5 HawkeyeFLA Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Call a locksmith, better ones have the computer equipment needed to program a PATS key. Friend of mine with though this last year with a Honda when he lost his keys and the locksmith AAA sent out and I were chatting and he said he can make pretty much anything. And he was also talking about the crapiness of the Focii's ignition cylinder. If your car is old enough to have one of the prone to failure you might want to explore replacing it at the same time you get a new key cut. Again this is something that a reputable locksmith can handle. If you have AAA call them and ask them who they would dispatch and call them for a quote.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:10 AM   #10
SVT_BMXer
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 11226
What I Drive: 1991 BMW 318is

FF Reputation: 20 SVT_BMXer Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
Just got home from being away all weekend. Well crap, sounds like the dealership wasn't jerking me around. $95 is alot for a spare key, lameeeeee. Oh well. Thanks guys

Current:1991 BMW 318is: Bilstein sports, H&R springs, TMS chip, UUC short shifter, dyna-max muffler

Bookmarks & Social Networks