Performance numbers for my SVT (see inside) - Page 3 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-07-2008, 09:13 AM   #21
kylesvt720
NeedsMoarEverything

Fan#: 51359
What I Drive: 2006 Saabaru "The Unicorn"

FF Reputation: 17 kylesvt720 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Can we get pics with the box, and by the way, your list of mods is exactly what I plan on doing, keeping the car NA, and reliable, yet making it more fun to play around in!

I did some math on it, and it's a little crude, but it looks like your probably making between 185-190HP at the Flywheel,
and probably a touch under 160 at the wheels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2008, 09:39 AM   #22
qjones
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 27502
What I Drive: 2003 pitch black ZX5 SVT

FF Reputation: 1 qjones Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
and that is alot closer to what this car should have done from the factory in comparison to its weight. 200 hp at the flywheel should have been the benchmark for these cars. I dont think that would have hurt its cornering at all and it would have made the car much more exciting to drive. I know I am stating the obvious, but it feels better sometimes just to let it out. hahaha

Mods in Profile
Old 03-07-2008, 10:43 AM   #23
pelotonracer2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 49917
What I Drive: 2014 Ford Fiesta ST

FF Reputation: 17 pelotonracer2 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylesvt720 View Post
Can we get pics with the box, and by the way, your list of mods is exactly what I plan on doing, keeping the car NA, and reliable, yet making it more fun to play around in!

I did some math on it, and it's a little crude, but it looks like your probably making between 185-190HP at the Flywheel,
Yes, shortly. Since I pride myself as being a perfectionist, I'll wait until I clean it up a bit to where it looks nice.

Here's pics of the plug modification, if anyone is interested. Since the plugs don't use crush washers, you have to buy about 4 boxes to find 4 plugs that screw into the head and face the exhaust port when fully tightened. Still an excellent return for 4-5hp gain @ the wheels!

How does this work, you ask? It exposes more of spark to the mixture and literally throws the spark upward as well as outward. I set the gap at 0.60 but experimented with other gap distance and found this to be best with this mod. The end result is a more complete burn of the mixture and much improved flame front travel properties. You can actually cut another millimeter or two from the ground electrode and it will probably make a little more power at the expense of longevity.

I couldn't get a decent idle with the stock coil and wires (and there was a noticeable stumble when you'd press the throttle down quickly). Mysteriously, when I changed the coil to MSD and put 8.5mm wires those issues vanished. FWIW, my stock coil and wires worked just fine with the stock plugs...

The modified plug is on the left, standard one on the right.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AA3 019.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	14565  

Old 03-07-2008, 10:53 AM   #24
pelotonracer2
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:

It's definately more fun to drive, gets much better fuel economy (over 300 miles to a tank city and highway driving mix). It's also alot quicker and has smoother power delivery.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:06 PM   #25
qjones
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 27502
What I Drive: 2003 pitch black ZX5 SVT

FF Reputation: 1 qjones Good Standing Member
Hey Peleton you think uou goin to make it to focusfest in June?
Just curious cuz it would be more incentive for me to go. I really want to check out that car o yours. Not to mention yours would be a great car to run against a modded st if they decide to do that. Just something to think about. anyway u guys can resume your current broadcasting haha

Mods in Profile
Old 03-07-2008, 01:15 PM   #26
dirtbrown
what it be like

Fan#: 40563
What I Drive: ganjabus

FF Reputation: 27 dirtbrown Great Standing Member
hey whats up man...where is this brown wire located?? I wanna do some research..
Old 03-07-2008, 01:16 PM   #27
BOOSTA
Focus Addict

Fan#: 36047
What I Drive: 2003 White ZX3 2.3L Turboed Duratec

FF Reputation: 8 BOOSTA Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
looks real good, nice numbers too!
Old 03-07-2008, 01:37 PM   #28
kylesvt720
NeedsMoarEverything

Fan#: 51359
What I Drive: 2006 Saabaru "The Unicorn"

FF Reputation: 17 kylesvt720 Great Standing Member
You can do a search to find the brown wire mod, although have yet to do it myself. (Lazy and don't have a garage in Chicago.) One question I had, that you might be able to answer peloton, is how much improvement have you had from like a 55 mph roll on? I think a roll on like this would show better improvement over a 1/4 mile time. I've noticed that our car will hang with a lot of cars from highway roll on, that would typically demolish us in a 1/4 mile. Has anyone else noticed this?
Old 03-07-2008, 04:59 PM   #29
pelotonracer2
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by qjones View Post
Hey Peleton you think uou goin to make it to focusfest in June?
Just curious cuz it would be more incentive for me to go. I really want to check out that car o yours. Not to mention yours would be a great car to run against a modded st if they decide to do that. Just something to think about. anyway u guys can resume your current broadcasting haha
That depends on how far I get with my car by June.

Once I finish the project, I will take loads of pictures.
Old 03-07-2008, 05:09 PM   #30
pelotonracer2
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
You can do a search to find the brown wire mod, although have yet to do it myself. (Lazy and don't have a garage in Chicago.) One question I had, that you might be able to answer peloton, is how much improvement have you had from like a 55 mph roll on? I think a roll on like this would show better improvement over a 1/4 mile time. I've noticed that our car will hang with a lot of cars from highway roll on, that would typically demolish us in a 1/4 mile. Has anyone else noticed this?
There is plenty of info about the brown wire mod (I got the info from this forum).

A 50 mph roll on in 2nd gear is very impressive in my car.

My 30 to 50 mph acceleration runs are quicker than what I was getting from my '91 Toyota MR2 Turbo (when it was stock).

I'm not too impressed with the 3rd to 4th gear shift (shifting at redline @ WOT the engine seems to have a lull for a second or two right after the shift) but once it kicks in, it rocks and rolls. The midrange is PHENOMENAL. With the mods I have it definately turned my car into a FUN little street machine! If only 1st gear was shorter, it would almost give perfect balance between performance and economy.

I'll be doing a dyno test soon.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->