Calling all audiophiles! - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-26-2014, 11:33 AM   #1
CotyM
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85558
What I Drive: blue, y2k, 5spd ZX3, zetec inside

Points 912, Level 16
Points: 912, Level: 16 Points: 912, Level: 16 Points: 912, Level: 16
Level Up 12% Completed
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 3 CotyM Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Calling all audiophiles!

Alright, so recently I hopped across the big pond to the UK and purchased not a focus but a 2000 Renault Clio 1.4 DOHC (Small but 40 more HP than the base 1.2 8v (97hp vs 52hp) and it shows it lol) 5speed with 130k (about 80,000miles) for a "temporary" car...

So it turns out the stock option for the radio sucks... I have 2 speakers... yeah you had to get premium sound package if you wanted more than 2 speakers and basic AM/FM radio LOL if that sounds funny, the power window package doesn't include the rear windows, so the rears are still manual, how cute!

It does have an aftermarket JVC head unit that I plan on keeping because it seems pretty decent, and the factory speaker don't sound half bad except for the fact that there is NO BASS AT ALL like I can crank bass boost to +7 and enable loud but there is never a point that I can hear a low note, there like having really good laptop speakers.

So to start off I'm going to leave the current speakers in there for now, and just ad the 4 extra that the premium package was equipped with. Then decide weather or not I want to replace those as well and/or ad a sub. Because of the speaker demention for the front speakers is 5" 1/4... that's right no typo, 5 and 1/4 inches. The rear speakers are mounted behind the rear seat, so I'll put anything back there (6x9, 6, 6.5, whatever), I'll just have to fabricate the mounts, no biggie, you wont be able to see it anyway.

Front tweeters are 1" located in the dash facing angled towards the back/roof of the car and of course empty.

Alright so I want recommendations on configurations, the sound system I built in my fofo was great, but not the best... This is why I'm asking for help on a clean and magnificent install. Looking to put a little money in for quality, was considering some alpines or rockfords, but open to all suggestions!

So through some ideas at me

Hatch Nation #32

I'm mad! Your mad! We're all mad here!
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2014, 03:13 AM   #2
jinstall
Deutsche Arsche

Fan#: 9730
What I Drive: 01 ZX3RACECAR/04 ST170/13 FST2

Points 2,744, Level 31
Points: 2,744, Level: 31 Points: 2,744, Level: 31 Points: 2,744, Level: 31
Level Up 96% Completed
Level up: 96% Level up: 96% Level up: 96%
Forum Activity 12%
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%
FF Reputation: 4 jinstall Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Are you from the USA? If so, any US products that you know of are expensive when they come overseas. Your best bet is to get something from the EU originally. I recomend Focal speakers. If you want Aduiophile quality, you will get rid of the JVC deck asap.
2013 Focus ST2 TS NAV SUNROOF-Hers
Old 09-27-2014, 03:14 AM   #3
jinstall
Deutsche Arsche

Fan#: 9730
What I Drive: 01 ZX3RACECAR/04 ST170/13 FST2

Points 2,744, Level 31
Points: 2,744, Level: 31 Points: 2,744, Level: 31 Points: 2,744, Level: 31
Level Up 96% Completed
Level up: 96% Level up: 96% Level up: 96%
Forum Activity 12%
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%
FF Reputation: 4 jinstall Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
BTW, there should be speaker openings on the side panels next to the rear seats. The Clio has had them there for decades. We had a 2006 and now have a 2010.
2013 Focus ST2 TS NAV SUNROOF-Hers
Old 09-27-2014, 06:53 AM   #4
CotyM
Focus Addict

Points 912, Level 16
Level Up 12% Completed
Forum Activity 3%
Yep I'm from the US o' A! Alright I'll look into some focals, I'm going to try to find a shop I can listen to them... but EU is so different then US I don't know If I can find anything like that...

On ditching the head unit, well noted, I'll look into a better deck, it doesn't sound to bad right now, we'll see when I change speakers, it is a $100 unit, so I'm hoping that price tag means something...

Just for reference this is the thing I'm talking about:

top view:

bottom view:

It may not even be anything other than cargo vents, but I think it's a good place to put some proper sized speakers, lol
Hatch Nation #32

Old 09-28-2014, 12:01 AM   #5
firebirdude
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 48824
What I Drive: 2013 Race Red SE Hatchback

Points 156, Level 3
Points: 156, Level: 3 Points: 156, Level: 3 Points: 156, Level: 3
Level Up 12% Completed
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 2 firebirdude Good Standing Member
5 1/4" speakers are ultra common. Don't see the big deal there.

But those rear "vents" are pretty darn small. I don't see you squeezing a 6x9 in that location. Your best bet might be to stick with the factory speaker locations (replace the speakers) and just add a sub. A small powered 8" or 10" will probably be plenty in that tiny thing.

Focal makes great equipment. But they got pretty popular few years back and got pretty spendy conveniently right at that time.

It's tough for us to recommend something that you can get in the UK. Donno what they have over there and, like was said, shipping of our stuff over to the UK can get pricey real quick.
Old 09-28-2014, 12:40 AM   #6
ViperThreat
Moderator OF DOOM

Fan#: 66026
What I Drive: '06 WRX Wagon 285whp/292wtq

Points 7,571, Level 58
Points: 7,571, Level: 58 Points: 7,571, Level: 58 Points: 7,571, Level: 58
Level Up 11% Completed
Level up: 11% Level up: 11% Level up: 11%
Forum Activity 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%
FF Reputation: 9 ViperThreat Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Im not sure what your goals are, but a proper set of component speakers and an amp is should give you plenty of bass. If your goal is to get that "thump" then you will definitely have to grab a sub.

"Ford Focus ST - the official car of message-board circle-jerks"
-Regular Car Reviews
Old 09-28-2014, 07:28 AM   #7
CotyM
Focus Addict

Points 912, Level 16
Level Up 12% Completed
Forum Activity 3%
I can get things from the US as easily as going to Amazon. Shipping is the same even though I'm in the UK because I have a US address here (military) so I can get anything through amazon US or even .co.uk If I wish.

I want Clean sound, some lows but mostly mids/highs, that I can hear, I don't care if I'm being thumped around... I just really want clean audio that sounds above average. See when I built my focuses audio It was very off kelter, I started with bass and built up, Didn't turn out as good as I hoped, so I want to start with clean audio, then maybe tack some extras on later. I think I've outgrown massive bass to top...

A 6x9 would not fit if I mounted it facing up, but would if I mounted it facing towards the inside of the hatch. Just trying to think outside of the box here for more setup options...
Hatch Nation #32

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.