2 Amp set-up - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-13-2014, 03:52 PM   #1
Ctyle47
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 131761
What I Drive: 2002 silver se

FF Reputation: 1 Ctyle47 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2 Amp set-up

Hey guys, so I'm looking for a diagram of how a two amp set up would work, and instructions on how to set up the wiring. I've found a couple, but am confused as to how the door speakers connect to the second amp, as opposed to using the amp in the aftermarket stereo.

On a side note, I've had a problem figuring out why my driver side door speaker doesn't work. I took the speaker out and plugged it into the passenger side door, and it works perfectly over there, but no speakers will play on the driver side door. Any help on how to diagnose and fix this issue would be helpful. I am quite busy this week, so could just use some suggestions that I could try out periodically through the week.

I drive a 2002 ford focus se. I already have a sub/amp hooked up in my trunk, for anyone who is wondering. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks guys!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2014, 04:01 PM   #2
Joeywhat
Strichmädchen & Koks

Fan#: 85247
What I Drive: 2014 Mustang 3.7L SGM

FF Reputation: 9 Joeywhat Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Are you asking about a completely aftermarket setup? Aftermarket head unit and such?

It's really simple if you have an aftermarket head unit, as you should have at least four RCA outputs, one set for speakers and one for subwoofer (often times two for speakers front/rear, one for subs). You connect the head unit to the amp via RCA, and connect the speakers to the amp.

If you are using a stock head unit, just make sure your speaker amp has speaker inputs, and use those. You also didn't mention if your door speakers are aftermarket or not. If they are stock (or of poor quality) an amp will do little good.
Hatch Nation #29
Old 05-13-2014, 04:27 PM   #3
popwarhomie
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94974
What I Drive: 10 Focus coupe / 94 Lightning

FF Reputation: 1 popwarhomie Good Standing Member
What amps and what speakers?
A lot of mods.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:22 PM   #4
Ctyle47
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

I currently have an amp connected to the sub in my car. Everything works that way, but I'm looking to upgrade the speakers in the doors of my car to aftermarket speakers, I currently have to Infinity Kappa's, but I know they're at a different resistance than the stock ones. I'm looking to buy a second amp(no idea which one) that can handle four aftermarket speakers. As I stated, I don't know what it would look like inside my car, having a two amp setup.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:30 PM   #5
Joeywhat
Strichmädchen & Koks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctyle47 View Post
I currently have an amp connected to the sub in my car. Everything works that way, but I'm looking to upgrade the speakers in the doors of my car to aftermarket speakers, I currently have to Infinity Kappa's, but I know they're at a different resistance than the stock ones. I'm looking to buy a second amp(no idea which one) that can handle four aftermarket speakers. As I stated, I don't know what it would look like inside my car, having a two amp setup.
Like I said above, it depends entirely on exactly what equipment you have, but generally speaking you'll have RCA connections going from the head unit to the speaker amp, and from there speaker wire going from the amp to the speakers. It's generally advised to run new wires to the speakers, as sometimes the stock wiring cannot handle the additional power.

If you care to post all the components you are dealing with then we can be more specific...
Hatch Nation #29
Old 05-13-2014, 07:42 PM   #6
Ctyle47
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Currently, I have a pioneer DEH-X16UB headunit and a pair of Infinity Kappa 6829 CF's. I'm also looking to pick up a second pair of aftermarket speakers when I get the amp. I'm looking to get a 4 channel amp to power the speakers in the doors, and I have a mono-channel amp that currently powers my sub. I know I have extra speaker wire at my parents' house, I'm not sure what gauge though.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:24 PM   #7
Joeywhat
Strichmädchen & Koks

The issue is that your head unit only has 1 set of pre amp outputs. It appears that they are switchable for speaker or subwoofer outputs, is that correct? It also doesn't help that your pre amp output is not particularly strong. Here are your options, for the most part:

1) Purchase an amp that has four speaker level inputs, and connect the speaker outs from your head unit to the amplifier. Pre outs are more desirable, but speaker inputs will work. Keep the RCA outputs on your head unit going to your subwoofer, leave that all unchanged. To do this you will need to tap into the stock speaker wires going to your speakers, and then run new speaker wires from the amp to the speakers.

2) Get an RCA Y-Splitter, and take the singe set of RCA outputs of the head unit into the splitter for 2 sets (4 total connections). You will require a speaker amp that is able to accept one set of RCA connectors (left and right), that will then use that to power all four speakers. Most amps require two sets of RCA connections for four speakers, so make sure such functionality is available with whichever amp you choose. An additional option is to use an amp that can accept RCA for one channel (say the fronts), use speaker inputs for the rears, and the other RCA connectors for the sub amp.

3) Get a six channel crossover unit, and feed it the single output from your head unit. Feed it the speaker output from the head unit, not the sub, the crossover will handle all of that stuff. This is more ideal then a splitter as it is powered, meaning less signal degradation; it will offer you 3 sets of RCA outputs, two for your speakers and one for you sub. Connect the head unit to the crossover, then the crossover to both the speaker and sub amps via RCA.

4) Get a head unit with 4 or 6 RCA pre amp outputs. This is probably the most ideal situation, but obviously a bit more expensive. This will allow you to directly feed each amp the appropriate signal.

It should be noted that if using ONLY the RCA outputs from the head unit to send the signal to the amps, you will NOT have fade functionality (front/rear balancing). You will either need to use the speaker level outputs from the head unit, or get a different unit with dedicated front and rear pre amp outputs.

I would go with option 3 or 4 myself. They are the best in terms of overall sound quality.
Hatch Nation #29
Old 05-13-2014, 09:54 PM   #8
Ctyle47
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

I may wind up going with options 3 or 4. However, on a side note, how would I go about replacing the speaker wiring for the speakers? Or am I misunderstanding something here?
Old 05-13-2014, 10:06 PM   #9
Joeywhat
Strichmädchen & Koks

You will just run new wire from the amp, to the speakers in the doors/body. If you are not required to use the existing speaker wire to feed an amp or anything (if you are doing the last two options), then it's best to leave it unconnected and use new wire.

It's ideal to use new wire as your new amp will output more power then the stock head unit (or even the aftermarket head unit) will put out. The stock wiring may not be of sufficient gauge for the stronger signal.
Hatch Nation #29
Old 05-13-2014, 10:49 PM   #10
Ctyle47
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeywhat View Post
You will just run new wire from the amp, to the speakers in the doors/body. If you are not required to use the existing speaker wire to feed an amp or anything (if you are doing the last two options), then it's best to leave it unconnected and use new wire.

It's ideal to use new wire as your new amp will output more power then the stock head unit (or even the aftermarket head unit) will put out. The stock wiring may not be of sufficient gauge for the stronger signal.
Would you be able to describe to me how I would go about doing this? Maybe a link to where I could find a way to neatly wire everything so I don't have wires just showing up anywhere? I would have it professionally done, but I enjoy learning how to do these kind of things on my own, and also don't have the money to have it professionally done. Thanks again, it's all been very helpful to me!

Bookmarks & Social Networks