2014 Focus Ti Sedan w/ MyFord Touch + Sony - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-28-2013, 02:50 PM   #1
thegame3202
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 119207
What I Drive: 2014 candy blue Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 thegame3202 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2014 Focus Ti Sedan w/ MyFord Touch + Sony

Hey all,

Just picked up this car a couple weeks ago, and noticed that while driving with the windows down, the radio is not nearly as loud as the factory system in my 2008 F150 that I came from. It seems like if you turn the volume knob quickly, it's loud for a split second, then quiets down... So it's like something is preventing it from getting louder? I want to upgrade whatever will help me here (or HEAR ;-) ). I love the bass from the sub, and everything sounds decent (other than a few rattles I have to hunt down). Any suggestions on making this louder and keeping my factory head unit? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2013, 03:27 PM   #2
thegame3202
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Also, I've been looking at a little 45W x 4 Alpine mini-amp, but I'm not sure what RMS the stock Sony's can take, nor which 4 I'd want to run it to...
Old 09-28-2013, 06:35 PM   #3
nitewulf
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 118092
What I Drive: 2014 Black Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 nitewulf Good Standing Member
I have the same exact car and agree about the lack of volume. I think the speakers could take a little more and a small 4 way amp sounds like the ideal solution. Let us know if you do it and how it goes.

Sent from my amazing Samsung Galaxy S4
Old 09-28-2013, 10:44 PM   #4
I Bleed Ford Blue
Focus Addict

Fan#: 94113
What I Drive: 2013 F150 FX4

FF Reputation: 8 I Bleed Ford Blue Good Standing Member
The sony amp puts out 390 watts peak divide that by the 9 output channels and you get 43 watts per channel peak not rms. The real or rms rating is about 15 to 20 watts. Also ford puts in a bass roll off to protect the cheap speakers at higher volumes. and finally the sony setup also has a DSP built into the amp so when you adjust the bass or fader etc its done inside the amp, not the headunit. So as you can see, trying to bypass the sony is practically impossible. It can be done but it wiil cost you some serious coin and cuase you a lot of grief.

The most common solution to fix the mediocre sony setup is add a good LOC to the speaker outputs and then add your own eq and amps and better speakers. The audiocontrol LC7i is a popular choice for a loc on the sony system, it can handle up to 400 watts rms (more than enough to handle the sony) increase the signal strength to maximize your amps, and has a bass restore function to fix fords bass roll off.
14 Dark Side Fusion SE 200A
L-CCC #18/HOIA #37
Old 09-29-2013, 09:13 AM   #5
thegame3202
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Bleed Ford Blue View Post
The sony amp puts out 390 watts peak divide that by the 9 output channels and you get 43 watts per channel peak not rms. The real or rms rating is about 15 to 20 watts. Also ford puts in a bass roll off to protect the cheap speakers at higher volumes. and finally the sony setup also has a DSP built into the amp so when you adjust the bass or fader etc its done inside the amp, not the headunit. So as you can see, trying to bypass the sony is practically impossible. It can be done but it wiil cost you some serious coin and cuase you a lot of grief.

The most common solution to fix the mediocre sony setup is add a good LOC to the speaker outputs and then add your own eq and amps and better speakers. The audiocontrol LC7i is a popular choice for a loc on the sony system, it can handle up to 400 watts rms (more than enough to handle the sony) increase the signal strength to maximize your amps, and has a bass restore function to fix fords bass roll off.
Thank you so much! That answer was exactly what I was looking for. If they can only handle 15-20, that explains the rolloff. It's weird to me how a company like Kia can get Alpine, Chrysler gets Infinity, and Ford gets Sony.... When I start ordering this stuff, I'll do a build or something as I'm going along :-) Thank you again man!
Old 09-29-2013, 07:09 PM   #6
I Bleed Ford Blue
Focus Addict

Fan#: 94113
What I Drive: 2013 F150 FX4

FF Reputation: 8 I Bleed Ford Blue Good Standing Member
I forgot to add, the AudioControl LC7i also can merge multiple channels back into one signal for the amp. Which is a good thing because the sony setup splits the signal to the front doors and feeds the midrange and tweeter separately, there is 4 wires going to each front door for the speakers so basically the crossover is built into the sony amp. The audiocontrol unit can merge those signals back together so you can run your own crossover in the door and set your cutoff where you want it, not where ford decided to put it. Also the other units from AudioControl can do this too.

The AudioControl LC6i has 3 pairs of high level inputs and 3 pairs of rca outputs for front, rear, and sub.

The LC7i is the same as the 6i but adds the bass restore function.

The LC8i is like the 6i too, but adds a fourth input pair and still has the same 3 output pairs, it also has a remote bass knob.

Check out there website, http://www.audiocontrol.com/t34/Mobile-Audio.html they also make eq's and loc's with eq's built in and a bunch of other stuff for high end car audio.
14 Dark Side Fusion SE 200A
L-CCC #18/HOIA #37

Last edited by I Bleed Ford Blue; 11-14-2013 at 06:14 PM.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:31 AM   #7
thegame3202
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Yeah, I looked around on their site yesterday. LC7i seems like the route I'd like to go. That's good to know that it merges the mids and highs back together. This is going to be my project after my wedding so the fiancÚ doesn't kill me :-P I'm thinking the LC7i, 4 channel amp, and 2 Infinity components for the door. Leaving the sub and everything alone for now (until I blow it). Does Ford chop the mids and highs too? If so, does this also restore those? THanks man!

Bookmarks & Social Networks